Question For old timers and 90s Cowboy fans

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
At least up unto this point Dez doesn't compare to Irvin in any way. Irvin could run a slant, a skinny post, an out, a comeback or a go route and was a threat to take it to the house every time. I remember a game, I believe it was 91{?} maybe, on Thanksgiving against the Steelers. He caught a post route, broke some tackles and took it to the house. Made Rod Woodson look silly.

Last edited:

Pokes12

Reaction score
Seen on here and heard on radio stations along with the Break and Talkin Cowboys people have been all over Dez. Here is my question has Dez lived up too the jersey number he wears 88. 88 means something to us Boys fans just like 33 12 22 8 and 82 will one day . As a boys fan from birth my 88 will always be Irvin has Dez lived up too the 88 club
No, not even close. He has the talent but he does not have the heart or the will of either Drew Pearson or Michael Irvin. No one ran sweeter routes than Pearson. When we needed a first or a touchdown, he was always there. He and Staubach had a special relationship and when it was crunch time they sparkled. Irvin had such a passion for winning. Not the fastest or best route runner, he out-willed defenders for the ball. Now, Dez is a beast of an athlete, unfortunately, he lacks the intellect and the will to win that Pearson and Irvin had. I think he is trying but it just is not resident in his heart. At least not yet!! I have not given up on him but sadly he is a disappointment so far.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Great question. Mike cannot sniff Dez in terms of athleticism. Not even close. Dez is an absolute physical speciman. Neither are true burners but they can both get deep with great "football speed." Hands..Dez hands down. Mike was simply as clutch as they come, a great lockeroom leader and fierce competitor. I'll never forget stories of running routes solo in the TX heat until he threw up. Or letting new arrival coach Jimmy know exactly who the bums were on the team that simply wanted to collect a paycheck. There quite simular......Dez just hasn't played for Mike's teams.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Irvin was an consistent 7-8 catch 80-100 yard guy game in and game out. The TD argument is overrated in todays game. The worst QBs in the league would throw for 25+tds in a year and back then 25+ was a top 5 QB.
People forget some other facts. In both Irvin and especially Drews NFL...the defense could still hit and intimidate recievers. Bryant has had it very easy in that regard. He never faced down a Jack Tatum or Mel Blount. If he thinks Norman is tough those other boys would not talk about...they would seriously try to injury. WR's in those days didn't trash talk defensive players.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Pearson and Irvin played in different era's where everything was built around the running game, while Dez has played during a pass happy era with the most productive QB in franchise history. You can't base everything off the numbers these receivers produced because the game has changed over the years due to the rules. During Pearson's day teams didn't throw the ball near as much as they do today, so you have to base his career off of impact plays and not overall numbers. Receivers got mugged down the field during Pearson's day. He only had two 1000 yard seasons in 11 years due to how different the game was but his career was built off clutch/impact plays. Staubach only passed for over 3000 yards twice in his career. He only had 2666 yards and 17 TD's in 1977 when the Cowboys won their second SB, which shows how different the game was during the 70s.

Although Irvin played in a run oriented offense that was built around Emmitt Smith he still had three seasons producing more yards than Dez's career best. Irvin's 111 catch, 1600 yard season in 95 would rank easily with what top receivers produce today. Dez is the most physically gifted of the three but he lacks the route running skills, leadership qualities and the intangibles that Pearson and Irvin brought to the team. He's not a mentally strong player which allows defenders to mess with his head causing him to lose his focus. Dez has only been part of two playoff teams counting this season and his playoff numbers have been anything but stellar. A good portion of the fan base has begun to sour on him and in some ways he's become a detriment this season.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Does anyone remember how we won the game vs the 11 - 0 Commanders in 1991? A lot of things went right in that game, but one big factor was Irvin. The Skins defense had put Darrel Green on the opponent's best receiver week after week and he'd shut them down - many times the other team barely tried him. Going into that game Jimmy said he didn't care who was covering him, Aikman was going to throw to Irvin. Aikman echoed the sentiment. Aikman got knocked out of the game and we had to finish with Beuerlein, but Irvin's numbers for the game were still outstanding - 9 catches, 130 yards, 1 TD. That's against the best CB not named Deion - and a guy who's one of the best CBs of all time. Basically, for those who never watched Darrel Green play, he was one of the fastest guys in the league (ever), he was lightning quick, and the only reason he wasn't Prime Time was because he couldn't catch a cold. But he could cover guys like a blanket. Irvin torched him all day, just like he did against other big time CBs, including Deion.

For Dez to enter the conversation, he's got to line up and dominate the best CBs in the game, because Irvin was capable of doing exactly that.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I think he's very close. Irvin was great, but he had some major BS antics off the field, including abusing cocaine and showing up to practice hung over. Drew Pearson was simply great without any of that crap, at least none that I know of. Before any of those guys was Ron Sellers who also wore 88, who was good, but not great.

Bigdog

Reaction score
IMO, no but we should discusse this when his career is over.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Does anyone remember how we won the game vs the 11 - 0 Commanders in 1991? A lot of things went right in that game, but one big factor was Irvin. The Skins defense had put Darrel Green on the opponent's best receiver week after week and he'd shut them down - many times the other team barely tried him. Going into that game Jimmy said he didn't care who was covering him, Aikman was going to throw to Irvin. Aikman echoed the sentiment. Aikman got knocked out of the game and we had to finish with Beuerlein, but Irvin's numbers for the game were still outstanding - 9 catches, 130 yards, 1 TD. That's against the best CB not named Deion - and a guy who's one of the best CBs of all time. Basically, for those who never watched Darrel Green play, he was one of the fastest guys in the league (ever), he was lightning quick, and the only reason he wasn't Prime Time was because he couldn't catch a cold. But he could cover guys like a blanket. Irvin torched him all day, just like he did against other big time CBs, including Deion.

For Dez to enter the conversation, he's got to line up and dominate the best CBs in the game, because Irvin was capable of doing exactly that.
I was at this game. Big coming of age game. Irvin was definitely a more precise route runner as he couldn't rely on sheer athleticism. More of a timing type of receiver. He could never jump ball like Dez tho. He abused Green that afternoon.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I was at this game. Big coming of age game. Irvin was definitely a more precise route runner as he couldn't rely on sheer athleticism. More of a timing type of receiver. He could never jump ball like Dez tho. He abused Green that afternoon.
Irvin couldn't jump ball haha that's funny. Irvin would go up and get with guys all over him. Back then you didn't have this barely touch and it's a penalty crap

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Seen on here and heard on radio stations along with the Break and Talkin Cowboys people have been all over Dez. Here is my question has Dez lived up too the jersey number he wears 88. 88 means something to us Boys fans just like 33 12 22 8 and 82 will one day . As a boys fan from birth my 88 will always be Irvin has Dez lived up too the 88 club
no

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
My 88 is Drew Pearson the original.

Should be in the Hall of Fame if only for the Hail Mary.

So Dez is not up to hero status to me.

Going forward..we will move on from him as with Romo.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Absolutely no comparison, sorry I dont have 30 minutes to type in all the ways Irvin is far better than Dez and they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

BTW I don't hate Dez at all he is our guy "for now"

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Irvin couldn't jump ball haha that's funny. Irvin would go up and get with guys all over him. Back then you didn't have this barely touch and it's a penalty crap

Not to be taken literally. Irvin is of course a HOF receiver so there was very little he couldn't do. I really don't remember him going up for 50/50 type balls the way Dez can/does.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Nothing better than Madden Summerall covering games. Troy was like a cyborg throwing the ball. What a machine. Love the Aikman pump as he's setting up the deep ball. What a great connection.