Questions for the Cowboys 2018 season

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm a big believer in the idea that good questions usually lead to good answers because they make you think a while before answering. The best sports questions are usually like that because they cannot be answered until the results are in on the scoreboard, in most cases by the end of the season.

The following questions are just a few I have been thinking about for the Cowboys going into this season. Don’t necessarily think they’re that great and It’s certainly an incomplete list, so feel free to add some too.

1. How has this team improved and why should we believe (or not believe) they will compete for a championship?
2. Do you believe the Cowboys’ “Receivers by Committee” approach this year will improve the team’s passing game? Why’re why not?
3. Will the running game return to 2016 form with Zeke in line to play a full season? Why or why not?
4. What will Dak have to do this year to improve to the point that he’s a lock as the future at QB?
5. What is the minimum Garrett must accomplish this year to keep his job? (Or is there any scenario where he is fired in season or after season?)
6. Will DeMarcus Lawrence duplicate or exceed his 2017 performance or decline?
7. Will the defense as a unit improve, tread water, or decline?
8. Will Jaylon Smith prove in year three that he is a bonafide NFL LB or prove to be a disappointment?
9. Which side of the ball will have the best year and why?
10. How has the offense improved or declined this offseason?
11. Will the defense become more or less aggressive, or about the same this year in attacking offenses?
12. Who will be the new emerging players and who will decline.
13. Will Rico Gathers make this team’s final 53 man roster in Sept.?
14. Which Cowboys are in their last year with the team?

I’m not that interested in answers yet. We haven’t seen rookies yet in pads and how other new players will mesh with the team. We will see starting in TC and certainly by time the real bullets start flying in early Sept.

Other questions?

cern

Reaction score
I'm a big believer in the idea that good questions usually lead to good answers because they make you think a while before answering. The best sports questions are usually like that because they cannot be answered until the results are in on the scoreboard, in most cases by the end of the season.

The following questions are just a few I have been thinking about for the Cowboys going into this season. Don’t necessarily think they’re that great and It’s certainly an incomplete list, so feel free to add some too.

1. How has this team improved and why should we believe (or not believe) they will compete for a championship?
2. Do you believe the Cowboys’ “Receivers by Committee” approach this year will improve the team’s passing game? Why’re why not?
3. Will the running game return to 2016 form with Zeke in line to play a full season? Why or why not?
4. What will Dak have to do this year to improve to the point that he’s a lock as the future at QB?
5enough is the minimum Garrett must accomplish this year to keep his job? (Or is there any scenario where he is fired in season or after season?)
8. Will Jaylon Smith prove in year three that he is a bonafide NFL LB or prove to be a disappointment?
11. Will the defense become more or less aggressive, or about the same this year in attacking offenses?

I’m not that interested in answers yet. We haven’t seen rookies yet in pads and how other new players will mesh with the team. We will see starting in TC and certainly by time the real bullets start flying in early Sept.

Other questions?
1. O-line improved.
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Make reads quicker
5. Unknown. I don't think he's here for long.
6. Yes. He's on center stage and handles it well
7. Improve. Richard will be major coaching upgrade
8. Biggest unknow.
That's enough for now.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

5. What is the minimum Garrett must accomplish this year to keep his job? (Or is there any scenario where he is fired in season or after season?)

Other questions?
15. Will Sanjay Lal make a difference as receiver coach and can he teach the entire route running tree?
16. Will Richard be able to do with this secondary what he did with Seattle's?
17. Did we really improve our swing tackle over 2018 IF Tron goes down again?
18. Is Vander Esch the real deal or just eye appeal? Missed mini-camp? So the answer can't be yes yet.

So many questions and 2.5 months worth of time

RodeoJake

Reaction score
That's a whole lot of questions, hoss. I'll give my plugged nickels worth on #7. A lot depends on what we get up front. Is Lawrence the real McCoy or not? Can Taco turn a corner and be disruptive like he was the last few games? Can we control the run with our #3 & #1 techs? I think the answer to all those is yes. With a good rush and Richards aggressive style, the defence should step up this year.

GenoT

Reaction score
Good questions, Bob...but we’re still gonna have to wait until raining camp and beyond before we get any real answers.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Other questions?
1. Richards. New passing attack. Younger team.
2. Yes. It worked in 2016 before forcing a # 1 receiver system. New receivers are fast enough and run more precise routes.
3. Yes
4. Better reads and timing throws
5. NFCCG win. Fired mid-season if 2 - 6 record.
6. Yup. Just getting started.
7. Improve if no major injuries. Richards has a good system but should let Lewis start.
8. Improve - but not sure how much; best to let him play SAM.
9. Offense.
10. OLIne is better quality and deeper; Zeke is back.
11. More aggressive.
12. Up: JVE, Chido, Awuzie, Gregory, Scarbrough, and Thompson. Down: Wilson, Green, and Twill.
13.No. Good athlete but not an experienced football player; poor blocking skills.
14. Twill, Showers, and Green.

Techsass

Reaction score
Start off with the easy ones. Well the ones I think I have a handle on already.

3. The running game will scare everybody we play. Why? Zeke is a difference maker.
6. DLaw has arrived. They liked him for a reason in the draft, but his injuries got in the way.
7. The defense is on the cusp of starting to worry our opponents. We still need to improve, but we shouldn't have that same 'last drive' fear we've gotten so used to.
9. Offense. The D will be much better, but won't be what we're known for around the league...yet.
12. From day one I think Conner Williams & Taco. As the season moves on I'll add Gallup & Dalton plus probably LVE.

Flamma

Reaction score

Supposedly we have most of the pieces. We should be able to compete. The defensive draft over the last two seasons should show up.

Yes. It worked in 2016 with an inferior group with two aging vets.

Yes. As long as #2 is a yes.

Play like Aaron Rodgers.

First round playoff win. The first thing this coach has to do is make sure this team comes out and plays with the intensity level of our opponents. We didn't see that last year, and that's troubling.

Probably not. That's hard to duplicate. I'd be happy if he comes close.

They should improve dramatically or the last two drafts and 2nd rounder of '16 would be a wasted. No way should this defense look as soft as it has over the last few years.

This is the year I expect him to be the player he is supposed to be.

Defense. They have the most room to improve. The last two drafts along with Jaylon should pay off. But again, coaching plays a big role.

This one's a wildcard. But it looks like our OL improved.

No idea as the coaching staff has yet to answer any of my emails. But I'm hoping more.

I have no answer for this as each season is usually a surprise. But I'm thinking Taco and Jaylon. Decline? The players are too young for me to predict that.

No.

Crawford, TWill, Cole Beasley, Jeff Heath, and Byron Jones.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score

The team has improved by solidifying the offensive and defensive lines. They will be in the hunt.
I think the receiving corp will be equal to last years statistics but the offense will be better on the whole.
The running game will be a dominant factor.
Dak will need to be a bus driver most of the time but come on strong in certain situations.
Garrett must win at least one playoff game to get another shot.
D-Law will have less impressive stats but the D-line as a whole will show improvement.
The defense will show improvement.
Jaylon will show improvement but will be the 3rd best LB on the team.
Defense will have the best year.
The offense will control the time of possession with a strong running game.
The defense will be more aggressive.
Emerging Players - the entire defense. Declining players - the pass receivers.
Yes but will not be the no 1 TE.
Chaz Green, Charles Tapper, Damien Wilson, T-Will.

Other questions?

CPanther95

Reaction score
"Receivers by committee" is a silly term - all teams use a "committee" to handle their receiving duties. It doesn't become a committee just because none of them are expected to be great.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Offense will be better. No Zeke suspension, depth at T, no Dez. Passing game will be better because WRs will actually know how to read coverage.

Defense will be quite a bit better than league average, possibly top 10 in most stats, on a per drive basis.

Dak accounts for 30+ TDs, less than 10 INTs.

I dont know if Jaylon is eligible, or if theres even a Comeback Player of the Year, but everyone will think he deserves it.

Gregory makes the team, creeps up the depth chart, and is playing his best at playoff time.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Yes.
no.
maybe.
yes.
yes.
no.
not sure.
Please rephrase the question.
probably.
none of the above.
sometimes.
no.
yes.
well hek.

waving monkey

Reaction score

Other questions?
I believe Dak learned a lot from 2017.
The central question in my mind is, how well does Connor Williams preform. Things fall into place if CWilliams game is there.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

QB, WR, and TE are the questions on O. DT and DB on D. O failed the last yr and we need improvement art WR sand QB. TE needs to be 'good enough'.

2. Do you believe the Cowboys’ “and Receivers by Committee” approach this year will improve the team’s passing game? Why’re why not?

IDK. Big, important question.

3. Will the running game return to 2016 form with Zeke in line to play a full season? Why or why not? Yes. Why not?

4. What will Dak have to do this year to improve to the point that he’s a lock as the future at QB? Read Ds and throw into tighter windows accurately.

5. What is the minimum Garrett must accomplish this year to keep his job? (Or is there any scenario where he is fired in season or after the season?) Compete.

High level if healthy

Improve

8. Will Jaylon Smith prove in year three that he is a bonafide NFL LB or prove to be a disappointment? Play at a high level

D less dependent on one player like O

10. How has the offense improved or declined this offseason? We'll see

11. Will the defense become more or less aggressive, or about the same this year in attacking offenses? Much more aggressive

12. Who will be the new emerging players and who will decline. JSmith, LVE post 1/2 year, a TE, 2-3 DBs

13. Will Rico Gathers make this team’s final 53 man roster in Sept.? IDK

14. Which Cowboys are in their last year with the team? IDK

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Judging by the previous responses, there seems to be little doubt that this team has many questions to be answered, all of which makes JGs job even more difficult than it was last year. With that being the case, Jerry will more than likely give him a pass this year but watch out in 2019. Dak will be better as a result of the OL being improved in both depth and talent. Nobody knows what to expect this year with so many questions being, as yet, unanswered in 2018. Injuries and possible improvement by our youngsters will factor greatly into our success or a lack thereof. It'll be an intriguing 2018, that's for sure. I'm expecting a 9-7 or 10-6 record and hoping for more. Lots of adjustments will be forthcoming.

Last edited:

Hadenough

Reaction score
Were gonna find out real quick how good this Cowboy team is! That opening game against the Panthers will tell us a lot because they have very good rush defense! One of the best and I believe Dak is gonna have to win this game through the air. And the defense will have their hands full with the Panthers offense. A healthy Cam with McCaffery, Greg Olson and DJ Moore. The Panthers always play the Saints and Falcons tough but they are the 3rd team in their division and this is a must win game to start the season for tie breaker reasons down the road. I want see if Dak can carry this team and work the middle section of the field to back off this defense.