CFZ Questions for the Offense

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I don't think Kellen's offense had anything to do with Dak's interceptions. Dak has put in quite a number of years here in Dallas in that exact scheme and under Kellen as OC, yet interceptions were never a problem, not once, not even in big games at big moments, until this season. It was either an aberration, related to injuries, or we just didn't have the receivers and Mike didn't like that Kellen didn't adjust to that fact as the season went along. Even those who hate Dak as QB of the Cowboys never had anything to complain about regarding interceptions prior to this season.
100%, KM comes from the JG tree of "We do what we do" MM comes from a long line of coaches who have shown they will adjust thier attack to match thier personell. Dak has many years of protecting the ball, its just easy for anyone who doesn't like him to point out last year which clearly wasn't the norm....if it becomes the norm then you move on from him. In hindsight it actually did have to do with the scheme just the lack of adjustments..

Motorola

Reaction score
I just think it requires a bit of reading the tea leaves. I'd be interested in what people believe the answer to the below questions are:

• What does McCarthy mean when he says run the ball?
I think it's complicated. It won't be anything obscure in terms of percentage, it's still going to be within NFL norms, But I do think we will see a lot more of Dak playing under center and utilization of 12 personnel on 1st and 2nd down. In that respect, pre-snap we will look like a run team.
  • What was the philosophical difference with Kellen?
I think there were a few fundamental differences that McCarthy wants to see changed. I think a big part of it will be that he wants to control the clock and support the defense a bit more. That means longer, more consistent drives that aren't so boom or bust. I also think he wants to clarify things a bit for Dak to reduce those interception numbers. I think rather than the litany of the comeback, curl, and option routes where he has to throw players open. We will see more slant, dig, post, and flat routes where that allow the receiver to do more after the catch. I also think we will see Dak less of Dak playing out of shotgun and slinging it and more of him under center.
  • Why Brian Shottenheimer?
I think goes to the identity of what McCarthy wants to create. He recognizes that Dak isn't Pat Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers and never will be (not sure Moore did). Dak does however have strengths, it's just those strengths align more with a 2018-2020 Russell Wilson than they do the offense Kellen Moore runs. Hence the change to the OC that Russell Wilson had over that time.
  • Why was Schoonmaker so highly valued?
We weren't just looking for a blocking TE, we were looking for someone that can receive the ball but also block in a variety of ways. I don't think we ever were looking at a guy like Kincaid because we aren't looking for our TE's to be a big receiver like Kelce. I think it comes back to Dak playing under center and our team's "run" philosophy. What we want is TE's that typically block before releasing. I think that fits Dak playing under center, along with both Ferguson (and his YAC ability) and Schoonmaker (with his downfield blocking) very well. I suspect we had three TE targets in the draft all at pick 59 (LaPorta, Musgrave, and Schoonmaker), and felt lucky to get one of them.
  • Why Bergeron but not Torrence?
It was very clear we wanted a guard (Bergeron) by the War Room discussion but I think the type of guard was also very important. IMO we are only targeting guys that can pull, block at the second level, and with the athleticism to excel in a zone-blocking scheme. That is clearly Bergeron but very clearly NOT O'Cyrus Torrence. We went with Asim Richards who as a former left tackle could develop into what we are looking for, we already have Tyler Smith, Chuma Edoga, and Matt Farniok on the roster and to me, there's a clear desire for our guards to be light on their feet.
  • Why Deuce Vaughn?
I don't think you draft Deuce Vaughn unless you have a specific plan. Again, I think we will see Dak play under center, and rather than have our RBs stay inside pass-protecting, we will see them running route and targeted in the screen game. I actually think Dak deals well with pressure up the middle and we are going to bait teams to blitz.
  • Why was Cooks so coveted?
I think McCarthy simply wants that guy that can stretch the field. We saw Dk Metcalf do it for Seattle and while the polar opposite build to Cook that speed is required to really stretch the field.
Outstanding analysis and presentation.

The switch you are predicting for Prescott - to go under center this upcoming season - will be an immese change for a quarterback that played his college career, then 90 - 95% (my guess) of his snaps in 7 NFL seasons out of the shotgun formation.

DanA

Reaction score
Outstanding analysis and presentation.

The switch you are predicting for Prescott - to go under center this upcoming season - will be an immese change for a quarterback that played his college career, then 90 - 95% (my guess) of his snaps in 7 NFL seasons out of the shotgun formation.
It’s been about 62-66% shotgun the last three season but definitely a big departure from the past. Westcoast offenses have traditionally been from under center so I think it’s possible but it’s not the way NFL has trended lately. Joe Burrows has been up at that percentage for instance but NFL average are at about 70-30 with the Titans closer to 50-50 (most in NFL).

Last edited:

Big D

Reaction score
  • What does McCarthy mean when he says run the ball?
  • What was the philosophical difference with Kellen?
  • Why Brian Shottenheimer?

shabazz

Reaction score
”Will you score more than 1 TD the entire game the next time you face the Niners”?

quickccc

Reaction score
With the draft passed, and unlikelihood of an added big back vet, I think our RBs are suitable and more schemed to splash plays rather than bell cow pound ball control.
And it is going to be distributed between two to three backs
a) Pollard
b) Jones
c) Duece

- Ronald jones and Deuce battle may be be decided this summer per training/preseason, and into the reg season, imo
- Jones may have an upper on Deuce now as far as NFL experience, speed of the NFL game, blocking, NFL level condition,
but it remains to be seen if Duece’s splash skills and display can change the dynamics to where he’s too good of a play maker to have 3rd RB.

- If those two are good as advertised, I can see Malik taking a back seat on the sidelines as more of an injury insurance.

- Sorry but I’m just one of those that is not even counting upon injury prone Rico Dowdle.
Surprised we re-signed him for this summer.

- If we go to a more QB under center offense instead of shotgun I look forward to downhill, quick hole hitting plays from our RBs.
And I hope we go to a OL block scheme that emphasizes down-blocks and traps that is design to create cut back lanes for these type backs.

conner01

Reaction score
531 to 556
That’s our run pass ratio last yeat
It may change a little but it’s not gonna change any significant amount
Running the ball is about running it effectively not how many run plays you call
I think we will run better because I think they will put more work into running the ball
We was fairly balanced last year and will be again but the key is running better not more
We need our 4.3 per carry to improve and get up 4.8 or 4.9 per carry. Doesn’t seem like much but it is a significant increase and allows you to run more

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
531 to 556
That’s our run pass ratio last yeat
It may change a little but it’s not gonna change any significant amount
Running the ball is about running it effectively not how many run plays you call
I think we will run better because I think they will put more work into running the ball
We was fairly balanced last year and will be again but the key is running better not more
We need our 4.3 per carry to improve and get up 4.8 or 4.9 per carry. Doesn’t seem like much but it is a significant increase and allows you to run more
But it's not going to a predictable north-south cow bell approach and indications from the draft: a blocking TE and overlooking the unathletic mauling Guard indicates we're going to change the look of the running game ....and able to sustain it (even without Pollard) by schematical blocking.

We cant afford to: abandon the run, or allow it the falter if we're going to overcome the 9'ers as we've seen on two occasions they'll sit in coverage and strangle our whole offense.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
There's no comparison with the Zeke era running, as we're not going to be head down north-south and we've also a TE that'll block.
i dont get what your saying, but as of yet we dont know how schoon will block in the nfl, so that is just pure hope and speculation at this point.
We also dont know what they will do in run game, or how the line will block.
It is all wait and see.
They wont show anything in PS as usual, so just have to wait for the season to start.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
i dont get what your saying, but as of yet we dont know how schoon will block in the nfl, so that is just pure hope and speculation at this point.
We also dont know what they will do in run game, or how the line will block.
It is all wait and see.
They wont show anything in PS as usual, so just have to wait for the season to start.
What don't you get??? Im taking about how our running game will probably change IN LIGHT OF THE DRAFT AND OFF SEASON CHANGES. We have a RB room with more lateral runners which presumably means we'll be pulling, or blocking outside the tackles.
If we were looking for the Zeke type N/S power running game I'm sure we would of better use of the Torrence/Bradford type Guard.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Kellen's offense had anything to do with Dak's interceptions. Dak has put in quite a number of years here in Dallas in that exact scheme and under Kellen as OC, yet interceptions were never a problem, not once, not even in big games at big moments, until this season. It was either an aberration, related to injuries, or we just didn't have the receivers and Mike didn't like that Kellen didn't adjust to that fact as the season went along. Even those who hate Dak as QB of the Cowboys never had anything to complain about regarding interceptions prior to this season.
One thing we do know is that the Cowboys' received had the least average separation of any team in the league. I do think Dak, who was always careful with the ball almost to a fault, decided to make riskier throws last year, which is a bad combination when guys aren't getting open...of course, it's also because guys weren't getting open.

conner01

Reaction score
But it's not going to a predictable north-south cow bell approach and indications from the draft: a blocking TE and overlooking the unathletic mauling Guard indicates we're going to change the look of the running game ....and able to sustain it (even without Pollard) by schematical blocking.

We cant afford to: abandon the run, or allow it the falter if we're going to overcome the 9'ers as we've seen on two occasions they'll sit in coverage and strangle our whole offense.
I think we run more on the edges. That’s where pollard is the most effective. Emphasizing the run should improve our ability to run. I don’t expect to run more than we pass but run more effectively when we run. That’s really the key is how effective you run. The chiefs are a prime example in running effectively. They ran the ball very effectively when they ran. We should be more balanced than they were but if we can run as effectively as they did it really opens up the play action passing game

DandyDon52

Reaction score
What don't you get??? Im taking about how our running game will probably change IN LIGHT OF THE DRAFT AND OFF SEASON CHANGES. We have a RB room with more lateral runners which presumably means we'll be pulling, or blocking outside the tackles.
If we were looking for the Zeke type N/S power running game I'm sure we would of better use of the Torrence/Bradford type Guard.
we will find out in sept.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't have questions about our offense. I've seen enough since 2016. Our offense will be good until a D stops us and we can't recover. This is the modern Cowboys. Hopefully it changes.
"a D"? You mean the #1 D in the NFL?

So the Cowboys will lead the NFL in points scored and then when they face the #1 D in the NFL with only Zeke to run the ball, then they will get shut down?

Yah, so what?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
you could be right, but I see people speculating on what mike wants, or is going to do and they are all different lol.
We wont know till mid season.

I am curious as to what changes will occur with dallas offense.
I am also curious as to how kellen does with chargers. He has a totally different type QB, one who can make all the throws.
And I think they have a decent run game.
Kellen vs Mike in 23!! should be fun.
NO thats not the Chargers. I give Hebert the nod passing, but Dak in leadership. Chargers have one of the worst run games in the NFL.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
7. Cooks - faster and separation receiver , very important for Dak, as he doesnt throw to WRs unless visible separation, Cooper was expert in getting separation even though he wasnt too fast , Cooks I think is faster at this point and also have established record with some sub par QBs throwing to him. ( May be Stephen’s budget limit, LOL)
Dak likes separation. Does well with *quick* guys.
Deuce may be as much a Beasley as a Dunbar.

Flamma

Reaction score
"a D"? You mean the #1 D in the NFL?

So the Cowboys will lead the NFL in points scored and then when they face the #1 D in the NFL with only Zeke to run the ball, then they will get shut down?

Yah, so what?
That's why I said, a D. I wasn't talking about the 49ers. Just games where we get shut down and can't recover, or can't recover fast enough. Like 9 points against the chiefs last year. That game we couldn't score against the Patriots in the rain. Or the Denver lockdown. Or Tampa in week 1 of last year. So no, I'm not talking about the 49ers. I knew we weren't putting up points against them before the game started.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There’s only one question for this offense. How many coaches will Dak get fired at the end of this season?
:facepalm:

I think that's what you like to see. that's why you are part of Bash Dak over Dallas cult. you would rather see dallas fail, so you can pile on Dak, than to see Dallas Succeed with Dak. tell me I am lying?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's why I said, a D. I wasn't talking about the 49ers. Just games where we get shut down and can't recover, or can't recover fast enough. Like 9 points against the chiefs last year. That game we couldn't score against the Patriots in the rain. Or the Denver lockdown. Or Tampa in week 1 of last year. So no, I'm not talking about the 49ers. I knew we weren't putting up points against them before the game started.
So isolated incidents over the last few years? What do you expect?

Patriots game in the rain? Are you joking? Chiefs game? The one where Cooper was already out and Lamb went down in the first quarter?

What offense doenst get shut down from time to time? Mahomes and the Chiefs in the SB scored 9 points.
Not sure what your point is.