CFZ Questions for the Offense

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I just think it requires a bit of reading the tea leaves. I'd be interested in what people believe the answer to the below questions are:

• What does McCarthy mean when he says run the ball?
I think it's complicated. It won't be anything obscure in terms of percentage, it's still going to be within NFL norms, But I do think we will see a lot more of Dak playing under center and utilization of 12 personnel on 1st and 2nd down. In that respect, pre-snap we will look like a run team.
  • What was the philosophical difference with Kellen?
I think there were a few fundamental differences that McCarthy wants to see changed. I think a big part of it will be that he wants to control the clock and support the defense a bit more. That means longer, more consistent drives that aren't so boom or bust. I also think he wants to clarify things a bit for Dak to reduce those interception numbers. I think rather than the litany of the comeback, curl, and option routes where he has to throw players open. We will see more slant, dig, post, and flat routes where that allow the receiver to do more after the catch. I also think we will see Dak less of Dak playing out of shotgun and slinging it and more of him under center.
  • Why Brian Shottenheimer?
I think goes to the identity of what McCarthy wants to create. He recognizes that Dak isn't Pat Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers and never will be (not sure Moore did). Dak does however have strengths, it's just those strengths align more with a 2018-2020 Russell Wilson than they do the offense Kellen Moore runs. Hence the change to the OC that Russell Wilson had over that time.
  • Why was Schoonmaker so highly valued?
We weren't just looking for a blocking TE, we were looking for someone that can receive the ball but also block in a variety of ways. I don't think we ever were looking at a guy like Kincaid because we aren't looking for our TE's to be a big receiver like Kelce. I think it comes back to Dak playing under center and our team's "run" philosophy. What we want is TE's that typically block before releasing. I think that fits Dak playing under center, along with both Ferguson (and his YAC ability) and Schoonmaker (with his downfield blocking) very well. I suspect we had three TE targets in the draft all at pick 59 (LaPorta, Musgrave, and Schoonmaker), and felt lucky to get one of them.
  • Why Bergeron but not Torrence?
It was very clear we wanted a guard (Bergeron) by the War Room discussion but I think the type of guard was also very important. IMO we are only targeting guys that can pull, block at the second level, and with the athleticism to excel in a zone-blocking scheme. That is clearly Bergeron but very clearly NOT O'Cyrus Torrence. We went with Asim Richards who as a former left tackle could develop into what we are looking for, we already have Tyler Smith, Chuma Edoga, and Matt Farniok on the roster and to me, there's a clear desire for our guards to be light on their feet.
  • Why Deuce Vaughn?
I don't think you draft Deuce Vaughn unless you have a specific plan. Again, I think we will see Dak play under center, and rather than have our RBs stay inside pass-protecting, we will see them running route and targeted in the screen game. I actually think Dak deals well with pressure up the middle and we are going to bait teams to blitz.
  • Why was Cooks so coveted?
I think McCarthy simply wants that guy that can stretch the field. We saw Dk Metcalf do it for Seattle and while the polar opposite build to Cook that speed is required to really stretch the field.
1, I think what Big Mac wants to do is situational running , like 2nd and 2 in opponents 20 yard line .
2. Philosophical difference with KM - KM gets too cute for his own sake , he calls plays to build his resume and sometimes they work , sometimes they dont. Mac will go as per the norm , which could be a plus in the playoffs.
3. Brian S - Total loyal guy to Mac and so he will install what Mac wants. ( this is do or die for Big Mac too )
4. Schoonmaker , may be he was the one available with the skill set they are looking for, I was not s fan of Dalton S blocking in the run game , he whiffed too many times which killed the run plays. hope schoonmaker is a tad better.
5. Torrence is probably strong at the point of attack , but zone runs and pass protection requires a bit of good feet and athleticism.
6. At the position Deuce was drafted , there werent many RBs left and they took a chance as Deuce has a good record against the power teams.
7. Cooks - faster and separation receiver , very important for Dak, as he doesnt throw to WRs unless visible separation, Cooper was expert in getting separation even though he wasnt too fast , Cooks I think is faster at this point and also have established record with some sub par QBs throwing to him. ( May be Stephen’s budget limit, LOL)

quickccc

Reaction score
I just think it requires a bit of reading the tea leaves. I'd be interested in what people believe the answer to the below questions are:

I think it's complicated. It won't be anything obscure in terms of percentage, it's still going to be within NFL norms, But I do think we will see a lot more of Dak playing under center and utilization of 12 personnel on 1st and 2nd down. In that respect, pre-snap we will look like a run team.
I think there were a few fundamental differences that McCarthy wants to see changed. I think a big part of it will be that he wants to control the clock and support the defense a bit more. That means longer, more consistent drives that aren't so boom or bust. I also think he wants to clarify things a bit for Dak to reduce those interception numbers. I think rather than the litany of the comeback, curl, and option routes where he has to throw players open. We will see more slant, dig, post, and flat routes where that allow the receiver to do more after the catch. I also think we will see Dak less of Dak playing out of shotgun and slinging it and more of him under center.
I think goes to the identity of what McCarthy wants to create. He recognizes that Dak isn't Pat Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers and never will be (not sure Moore did). Dak does however have strengths, it's just those strengths align more with a 2018-2020 Russell Wilson than they do the offense Kellen Moore runs. Hence the change to the OC that Russell Wilson had over that time.
We weren't just looking for a blocking TE, we were looking for someone that can receive the ball but also block in a variety of ways. I don't think we ever were looking at a guy like Kincaid because we aren't looking for our TE's to be a big receiver like Kelce. I think it comes back to Dak playing under center and our team's "run" philosophy. What we want is TE's that typically block before releasing. I think that fits Dak playing under center, along with both Ferguson (and his YAC ability) and Schoonmaker (with his downfield blocking) very well. I suspect we had three TE targets in the draft all at pick 59 (LaPorta, Musgrave, and Schoonmaker), and felt lucky to get one of them.
It was very clear we wanted a guard (Bergeron) by the War Room discussion but I think the type of guard was also very important. IMO we are only targeting guys that can pull, block at the second level, and with the athleticism to excel in a zone-blocking scheme. That is clearly Bergeron but very clearly NOT O'Cyrus Torrence. We went with Asim Richards who as a former left tackle could develop into what we are looking for, we already have Tyler Smith, Chuma Edoga, and Matt Farniok on the roster and to me, there's a clear desire for our guards to be light on their feet.
  • Why Deuce Vaughn?
I don't think you draft Deuce Vaughn unless you have a specific plan. Again, I think we will see Dak play under center, and rather than have our RBs stay inside pass-protecting, we will see them running route and targeted in the screen game. I actually think Dak deals well with pressure up the middle and we are going to bait teams to blitz.
I think McCarthy simply wants that guy that can stretch the field. We saw Dk Metcalf do it for Seattle and while the polar opposite build to Cook that speed is required to really stretch the field.
  • Thanks for Sharing ....
  • i don't think it means a certain more amount of attempts than it means HOW we run the ball, and WHEN we need to run the ball. - When you're up 28-14 over Green Bay, that's the when and how to be able to run the ball. Our run scheme has been bland and simplistic under Moore/Philibin. Also it'a " Touches" that means more than Carries when pertaining to our RBs.
  • Much is talked about the option routes in Kellen’s time rhythm pass offense, but Kellen also does not believe in scheme-involving the RBs in the pass game. We were horribly useless with RB screens under Kellen. It was sloppy setting and telling that we don't emphasize it so Kellen abandons that. We saw the lone Pollard wheel route TD vs Vikes, but it's extremely far and distance for similar RB pass. Pollard could have McCaffrey. Kamara, E. Tienne type receiving radius that KMoore simply could not exploit.
  • Scottenheimer has worked with Russell Wilson en route to Russell’s biggest statistical season, and he’s already had connection work with Dak (as a consultant) – Ironically when we talk of run ball more- Carroll and Schott had “ philosophy differences that led to Schott being fired per not run-ball per Carroll's preference.
  • Also I’d have to see how an OL coach now works out as a RB coach.
  • The NFL draft's 2nd round were very quickly slurping up the quality TEs that could have been consideration to the Cowboys value board. I really believe they wanted Sam Importa- who they coveted his separation skills and YAC ability than Schoon, but once Importa was swept, then they may have felt compelled to take Schoon, who has idea combo block/catch along RAS athleticism.

• Why Deuce Vaughn?
  • i always thought Cowboys would have a RB on their draft board but would explore it mid round. They ended up nabbing one in late rounds, per da Duece ! .To da fans that wanted an instant starter that would replace tagged Pollard- Baah, not happenin' folks. Why Duece ? Minus the lower body power and punt return skills, the Sproles is just about right.
  • Unless he just takes the camps and preseason by storm, i don't see him as instant No.2 back. He'll have to battle for No.3 role behind Jones, imo.
  • The Backs we have are suited for " Splash" plays .. not bell cow pounding and controlling the clock. - Methinks the touches and role play will be between two or three backs
  • And Our RB offense will be very similar " McCaffrey-like" .

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
cowboys want guys who can get downfield and block, but most often the rb is downed at the los or behind it, so all that movement is useless.
Me I would want guys who can move and take out the DL, and let te's or rb deal with the lb or secondary..

and often times I see a guard not block a dl so he can get downfield to block a lb, and then that unblocked or chipped guy makes the tackle!
I think OC's today are too obsessed with downfield blocking, and just disregard what happens at the LOS.
I think if we still continued with Zeke as RB1, with an Air Coryell and KM approach of being formulaic run/run pass (until he drops the run game) then fine a Torrence type mauler is great to create that chink of light, allowing Zeke into the 2nd level (where his size gave him a chance vrs LB/S's). However, the approach with smaller backs and an organizational desire for a blocking TE indicates we're playing a more expansive running game (even with RB2'3).

Don't the requirements of a Guard change under the WCO as the play's are 'bang-bang' quicker rather than stalling for time at the LOS hoping for the play design to 'develop'?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
1, I think what Big Mac wants to do is situational running , like 2nd and 2 in opponents 20 yard line .
2. Philosophical difference with KM - KM gets too cute for his own sake , he calls plays to build his resume and sometimes they work , sometimes they dont. Mac will go as per the norm , which could be a plus in the playoffs.
3. Brian S - Total loyal guy to Mac and so he will install what Mac wants. ( this is do or die for Big Mac too )
4. Schoonmaker , may be he was the one available with the skill set they are looking for, I was not s fan of Dalton S blocking in the run game , he whiffed too many times which killed the run plays. hope schoonmaker is a tad better.
5. Torrence is probably strong at the point of attack , but zone runs and pass protection requires a bit of good feet and athleticism.
6. At the position Deuce was drafted , there werent many RBs left and they took a chance as Deuce has a good record against the power teams.
7. Cooks - faster and separation receiver , very important for Dak, as he doesnt throw to WRs unless visible separation, Cooper was expert in getting separation even though he wasnt too fast , Cooks I think is faster at this point and also have established record with some sub par QBs throwing to him. ( May be Stephen’s budget limit, LOL)
:hammer:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
  • i don't think it means a certain more amount of attempts than it means HOW we run the ball, and WHEN we need to run the ball. - When you're up 28-14 over Green Bay, that's the when and how to be able to run the ball. Our run scheme has been bland and simplistic under Moore/Philibin. Also it'a " Touches" that means more than Carries when pertaining to our RBs.
  • Much is talked about the option routes in Kellen’s time rhythm pass offense, but Kellen also does not believe in scheme-involving the RBs in the pass game. We were horribly useless with RB screens under Kellen. It was sloppy setting and telling that we don't emphasize it so Kellen abandons that. We saw the lone Pollard wheel route TD vs Vikes, but it's extremely far and distance for similar RB pass. Pollard could have McCaffrey. Kamara, E. Tienne type receiving radius that KMoore simply could not exploit.
  • Scottenheimer has worked with Russell Wilson en route to Russell’s biggest statistical season, and he’s already had connection work with Dak (as a consultant) – Ironically when we talk of run ball more- Carroll and Schott had “ philosophy differences that led to Schott being fired per not run-ball per Carroll's preference.
  • The NFL draft's 2nd round were very quickly slurping up the quality TEs that could have been consideration to the Cowboys value board. I really believe they wanted Sam Importa- who they coveted his separation skills and YAC ability than Schoon, but once Importa was swept, then they may have felt compelled to take Schoon, who has idea combo block/catch along RAS athleticism.

• Why Deuce Vaughn?
  • i always thought Cowboys would have a RB on their draft board but would explore it mid round. They ended up nabbing one in late rounds, per da Duece ! .To da fans that wanted an instant starter that would replace tagged Pollard- Baah, not happenin' folks. Why Duece ? Minus the lower body power and punt return skills, the Sproles is just about right.
  • Unless he just takes the camps and preseason by storm, i don't see him as instant No.2 back. He'll have to battle for No.3 role behind Jones, imo.
  • The Backs we have are suited for " Splash" plays .. not bell cow pounding and controlling the clock. - Methinks the touches and role play will be between two or three backs
Yep, a lot of fans are basing the draft (and addition of Cooks) with the eyes and game management of Kellen. We arent playing that game, no more need of the LOS maul to buy time for receivers to run the complex routes and Dak to find them. We want a move away from Moore's predictability..... and you can see why a TE that doesnt highlight our intensions would help with changing up our intentions. Ok he's not going to give you YAC, but he's a TE that's experienced and works the slot.....keep the chains moving, rather than Moore looking for HR plays (which didnt suit WR/Dak).

J-man

Reaction score

• Why Deuce Vaughn?
I think when Big Mike says "run the ball", he really means run the ball better. As you described, they have to run it better on first down to get ahead of the chains. That alone will really help Dak and the offense be more variable, which keeps the defenses guessing. And I also think they need to be better when they have to run. i.e. later in games or at key moments to sustain drives. They have to be able to control the game flow to take pressure off the defense and help them stay fresher.
If they think running more 12 personnel will help accomplish that, I'm all for it. I have a lot of faith in the abilities of Ferg and Hendershot as receivers, so if Spoonmaker can be a weapon as well as a blocker, that could make running 12 personnel very interesting.

I want my guards to be mean, nasty maulers. I'm not sure Richards fits that mold but they have a great track record when it comes to drafting O-lineman so I'll go along with whomever they feel can do the job.

I think Deuce is here to be a weapon, whether real or not. He is dangerous with the ball in his hands and I think they will use him to gash teams at times, but also make them account for him to free up something else. He fits the west coast offense very well and could be ultra dangerous on wheels and screens.

We had to have another weapon at receiver and Cooks was the best we could get. Don't get me wrong I like him, but I never thought of him as ever being a dangerous game changer type of receiver. But, the way Dak and co have been talking about his speed, adding him to the mix with Lamb and Gallup could be just what the Dr ordered to fix this ailing pass attack.

Verdict

Reaction score

• Why Deuce Vaughn?
Fine post

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think if we still continued with Zeke as RB1, with an Air Coryell and KM approach of being formulaic run/run pass (until he drops the run game) then fine a Torrence type mauler is great to create that chink of light, allowing Zeke into the 2nd level (where his size gave him a chance vrs LB/S's). However, the approach with smaller backs and an organizational desire for a blocking TE indicates we're playing a more expansive running game (even with RB2'3).

Don't the requirements of a Guard change under the WCO as the play's are 'bang-bang' quicker rather than stalling for time at the LOS hoping for the play design to 'develop'?
I would have gone for torrence over a TE.
As for your last sentence, I dont know, all I know is the way the scheme it on paper, it mostly doesnt work in the game.
Not just dallas, I see many teams doing the same crap.
Like not blocking a guy coming on the backside of play going to the right, and he catches the rb before or as he gets to los, because
coaches felt he didnt need to be blocked.

I watched connor williams, when he was here, and many times he wouldnt block a DL, he would go forward to block a LB, and the guy he
could have blocked got to the rb in backfield. I am sure he was doing as he was coached to do it.

I dont like elliot, never have, but a lot of him being caught at line or behind, is more on the coaching of blocking than on him.

I doubt any of this blocking problems changes with new offense this season.
If you take the time to rewatch games and just look at the blocking you will see what I mean, some head scratchers for sure.

morat1959

Reaction score
There’s only one question for this offense. How many coaches will Dak get fired at the end of this season?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • i don't think it means a certain more amount of attempts than it means HOW we run the ball, and WHEN we need to run the ball. - When you're up 28-14 over Green Bay, that's the when and how to be able to run the ball.
:hammer:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
you could be right, but I see people speculating on what mike wants, or is going to do and they are all different lol.
We wont know till mid season.

I am curious as to what changes will occur with dallas offense.
I am also curious as to how kellen does with chargers. He has a totally different type QB, one who can make all the throws.
And I think they have a decent run game.
Kellen vs Mike in 23!! should be fun.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

• Why Deuce Vaughn?
you could be right, but like everyone else it is all just what you "think" will happen, and you just cant predict that.
The funny thing is this speculation comes from one or 2 short statement MM made good while back..

NO telling what he will actually do lol.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Long, controlled drives that support the defense are a death sentence. That was JG football. It gives you no margin for error, and in the modern NFL, it prohibits you from being a Super Bowl contender.

Any offense that isn't designed around explosive plays through the air is designed poorly.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I would have gone for torrence over a TE.
As for your last sentence, I dont know, all I know is the way the scheme it on paper, it mostly doesnt work in the game.
Not just dallas, I see many teams doing the same crap.
Like not blocking a guy coming on the backside of play going to the right, and he catches the rb before or as he gets to los, because
coaches felt he didnt need to be blocked.

I watched connor williams, when he was here, and many times he wouldnt block a DL, he would go forward to block a LB, and the guy he
could have blocked got to the rb in backfield. I am sure he was doing as he was coached to do it.

I dont like elliot, never have, but a lot of him being caught at line or behind, is more on the coaching of blocking than on him.

I doubt any of this blocking problems changes with new offense this season.
If you take the time to rewatch games and just look at the blocking you will see what I mean, some head scratchers for sure.
There's no comparison with the Zeke era running, as we're not going to be head down north-south and we've also a TE that'll block.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't have questions about our offense. I've seen enough since 2016. Our offense will be good until a D stops us and we can't recover. This is the modern Cowboys. Hopefully it changes.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Long, controlled drives that support the defense are a death sentence. That was JG football. It gives you no margin for error, and in the modern NFL, it prohibits you from being a Super Bowl contender.

Any offense that isn't designed around explosive plays through the air is designed poorly.
I bet you play Madden, and when you do I vet you've got Mahomes?