Quick look at Zimmer's Defensive Personnel with the Vikings

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
He seems to do a lot of blitzing in the A/B gaps, and try and let his DE's win on the outside.
yea, i ran acrosss that after I posted

And honestly I was basing this on his time here

But it still seems like mixed reviews. A lot of outlets do claim that he prefers to generate pressure with stunts and other maneuvers up front as opposed to sending additional rushers

Cowboyny

Reaction score
To be clear, I don't think Anthony Barr is as good as Parsons, but I don't have much faith that Zimmer will use him correctly.
Barr was a LB his last two years at UCLA and totaled 24 sacks during that span
In Minnesota, his career high was 4
I just don't think he blitzes often enough for my taste...he's more of a coverage guy than a blitz guy imo
Parsons is a unique talent, he is best used as a chess piece then playing one spot, which makes it harder for opposing offenses if lined up all over the front.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
-Can Sam Williams become that DE? If not, why not try to sign Hunter as a fa
-Believe Parsons will play that Anthony Barr role, strong-side linebacker against the run and rush the passer against the pass
-Team's top defensive need this offseason to finding a legitimate MLB. Believe Overshown will be the Weakside Backer.
-NT is another primary need as Mazi is still green, just sign a stop gap veteran. Not just a minimum type of guy, either.
-Secondary starters are good, need a nickel corner.

DE, NT, MLB, Nickel Corner

Fix NT/MLB and our run defense vastly improves.
Barr only has 18.5 sacks total for his 10 year career.

They drafted him as a pass rusher but he ended up as a big off-ball LB.

Gambit

Reaction score
Linval Joseph. A legitimate 1 Tech with massive size. This was suppose to be Mazi, but they probably have to add a veteran.
He was a FA drafted 2nd round by Giants left to join MN hopefully this means we can look to FA or draft one early

Rayman70

Reaction score
DLaw and Greg Ellis both in the 265 to 275 range.

Ellis 6-6, DLaw 6-3
Yes but Ellis seemed to play with more power and girth . Was real good against the run and sealing contain

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Some positions were changed over, but here are the core starters during his time as Viking HC"

DE-Hunter/Griffen. Hunter was an elite edge rusher in his defense. By the way he is a fa this offseason. Could Sam Williams become our Hunter?
I'm hoping Hunter will be our Hunter. While I love Lawrence as a left end, we have no stud pass rushers outside of Parsons. Put Hunter at RDE, make Parsons a pass-rushing linebacker and you can sell Williams to the highest bidder (which won't be much).

Rayman70

Reaction score
I would love Reader at DT. He and Big Hank, MAYBE MAZI. All the elite teams have guys like this up front. Cant win without em.

Gambit

Reaction score
I'm hoping Hunter will be our Hunter. While I love Lawrence as a left end, we have no stud pass rushers outside of Parsons. Put Hunter at RDE, make Parsons a pass-rushing linebacker and you can sell Williams to the highest bidder (which won't be much).
Marvin Lewis and Zimmer put together kind of a dream team of players to make perfect defense. Below is that roster.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
AS you know, it's all about the cost with this front office. They haven't signed a quality fa in years, have to see it, to believe it. Hunter/Parsons/DLaw and Sam Williams would be though.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He was a FA drafted 2nd round by Giants left to join MN hopefully this means we can look to FA or draft one early
Vikings always addressed this position via fa. Go get Reader and draft a backer, defense would be vastly improved.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Barr only has 18.5 sacks total for his 10 year career.

They drafted him as a pass rusher but he ended up as a big off-ball LB.
Do you think Zimmer has him off the ball against the run?

Creeper

Reaction score
I wonder what Zimmer will do with Mazi? Will he bring a bucket of cheeseburgers with him to fatten Mazi back up?