Quiet Rebuild is Happening

Landryhat73

Reaction score
It looks like a decision was made that it's time for a soft rebuild. The front office could easily created over $30 million by restructuring multiple contracts but it seems they want to limit the amount of dead money sent into future cap hits. My guess is that they are going to leave most of the contracts as is and fill out the current roster with close to league minimum type veterans. Gallup will be a June 1st cut to have enough money to sign the draft class.

Maybe the decision was made that this team can't win in the playoffs with a $60+ million dollar Dak Prescott contract and they are going to try and quickly rebuild with an alterative in that position. Theoretically if this team goes with this strategy, it will probable be an above average team this year and possible make the playoffs but the 2025 season will be an adventure. Dead money in 25 will be at least $75 Million that is with out a restructure on Daks contract. I can see Dallas resigning both CeeDee, Parsons, and other young core pieces and try to win in 2026 with a QB not taking up a significant chunk of the salary cap.

I'm not hating on Prescott, I think he is a top 10 QB but he isn't Mahomes (Who signed a team friendly deal). It is Daks prerogative to get as much as he can but like multiple other Qbs around his level getting paid over $50 million he might not be good enough to win a Super Bowl taking that huge of a percentage of the salary cap. Looking at last year, everything needed to go right for them to win in the playoffs. Meaning no injuries to LVE or Diggs and Mazi Smith needed to be the run stopper he was supposed to be and Prescott can't make the mistakes in the playoffs. The front office has made multiple mistakes with money allocation over the year but if your paying the QB position that much money he has to be more then exemptional when it matters and in reality the only one that has is Mahomes.

John813

Reaction score
If they want to rebuild, June 1st Dak.

If he walks, they have 36mil dead cap next year from him.
The team, even with a good draft, isn't a superbowl level team.
Cut him, to recover most of that dead cap from his base salary which doesn't guarantee until week 1.

I'm still of the mindset they will re-sign him, but like in July. To me, there's no way Jerry at his old *** age would rebuild and restart the QB spot without a surefire idea that they had a starter behind the incumbent.
They'll reduce his cap hit, say they need that freed up cap space to sign Parsons next year. Only then to drag on those talks as well. Rinse repeat. Maybe even franchise tag CDL too.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think that's the smart way to go.
It's a terrible way to go.

You don't do a "soft rebuild". You have to tear it apart. You also don't bring back the HC. You also cut bait with the QB that apparently might not be part of the future.

You are basically throwing away an entire season this way with no real gains. Dak plays and you find out nothing about Lance, who they apparently want to keep. The team just wallows under a HC that likely won't be around when the "soft" rebuild is completed.

Its just dumb but with this franchise I expect to be positively impressed with how dumb they can actually be.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
With a better RB, another fat DT, and a real LB, Dallas could be a SB contender. They didn’t need that much. They needed a better run game and a new philosophy up front on defense.

kskboys

Reaction score

You don't do a "soft rebuild". You have to tear it apart. You also don't bring back the HC. You also cut bait with the QB that apparently might not be part of the future.

You are basically throwing away an entire season this way with no real gains. Dak plays and you find out nothing about Lance, who they apparently want to keep. The team just wallows under a HC that likely won't be around when the "soft" rebuild is completed.

Its just dumb but with this franchise I expect to be positively impressed with how dumb they can actually be.
Ooops. I'm guilty of not reading closer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree. A rebuild has been needed for many many years. Jerry's refusal to do so is what's kept us in mediocrity hades.

stinkface

Reaction score
Shotgun approach. Put your blindfold on. Shoot into the air and hope you hit on some bottom level talent that falls out of the sky. Guess it is a plan of some sorts.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
We're going to win 12 games again. This is not a rebuild. Not yet anyway. This is there last dance

Big_D

Reaction score
You can’t even spin this into a good situation. Even if they free up some money for 26, the odds of them being smart with that are slim. On top of every other decision like coaching. Whatever this ridiculous plan is at the moment, it doesn’t look like something that will have a quality payoff down the line.

Last edited:

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I agree that's exactly what's happening and there are parts of it I love and parts of it they are screwing up royally if that's their plan. If you're looking to rebuild and Dak isnt part of the plan then move on already. No sense in wasting a year of his career...especially when you have a young guy in Trey Lance you could get actually game experience. You also don't leave your HC on an expiring deal. Is MM and Zim going to want to draft guys that fit the system of the next coaching staff? No and most likely the current coaches are not going to push for the highest potential players but most likely safter/older prospects who can step in day 1. it feels like we are going to waste a rookie class, or at least not optimize the guys we take.

Aven8

Reaction score
If you’re not going all in, which is evident by now, trade Dak. Yes he has a no trade clause, but there are plenty of teams that would be willing. Get whatever you can. Why just let him go to FA next season and get nothing?

NDGAEDE

Reaction score

Exactly right. If we have decided there is no future with this group, cut bait and start the god****** rebuild.

Smith22

Reaction score
We're going to win 12 games again. This is not a rebuild. Not yet anyway. This is there last dance
Upcoming schedule includes:

49ers, Ravens, Bengals, Texans, Lions, Steelers, Browns, eagles x2.

I'm guessing we will be underdogs going into most, if not all of those games.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
If you’re not going all in, which is evident by now, trade Dak. Yes he has a no trade clause, but there are plenty of teams that would be willing. Get whatever you can. Why just let him go to FA next season and get nothing?
Granted its not much but trading Dak now actually cost the Cowboys more cap space than they already owe. If they go the trade route they may need to wait until after June 1st.

Aven8

Reaction score
Granted its not much but trading Dak now actually cost the Cowboys more cap space than they already owe. If they go the trade route they may need to wait until after June 1st.
What if he signs an extension but he’s doing it for the other team?

Landryhat73

Reaction score
With a better RB, another fat DT, and a real LB, Dallas could be a SB contender. They didn’t need that much. They needed a better run game and a new philosophy up front on defense.
I was hoping they went this way. Theoretically they still could except for the RB.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
What if he signs an extension but he’s doing it for the other team?
I'm not smart enough to know the answer to that one. My guess is that would not impact the Cowboys cap situation but I really don't know.