Quiet Rebuild is Happening

Landryhat73

Reaction score
This is no rebuild, this is the tear-down for the rebuild next year.
I think this year is hope that the team can get hot at the right time with still a considerable amount of talent. 2025 is the tear-down - No Prescott, Martin, Lawrence, and Cooks along with a lot of free agents plus at least $75 million in dead money. 2026 is the rebuild!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It looks like a decision was made that it's time for a soft rebuild. The front office could easily created over $30 million by restructuring multiple contracts but it seems they want to limit the amount of dead money sent into future cap hits. My guess is that they are going to leave most of the contracts as is and fill out the current roster with close to league minimum type veterans. Gallup will be a June 1st cut to have enough money to sign the draft class.

Maybe the decision was made that this team can't win in the playoffs with a $60+ million dollar Dak Prescott contract and they are going to try and quickly rebuild with an alterative in that position. Theoretically if this team goes with this strategy, it will probable be an above average team this year and possible make the playoffs but the 2025 season will be an adventure. Dead money in 25 will be at least $75 Million that is with out a restructure on Daks contract. I can see Dallas resigning both CeeDee, Parsons, and other young core pieces and try to win in 2026 with a QB not taking up a significant chunk of the salary cap.

I'm not hating on Prescott, I think he is a top 10 QB but he isn't Mahomes (Who signed a team friendly deal). It is Daks prerogative to get as much as he can but like multiple other Qbs around his level getting paid over $50 million he might not be good enough to win a Super Bowl taking that huge of a percentage of the salary cap. Looking at last year, everything needed to go right for them to win in the playoffs. Meaning no injuries to LVE or Diggs and Mazi Smith needed to be the run stopper he was supposed to be and Prescott can't make the mistakes in the playoffs. The front office has made multiple mistakes with money allocation over the year but if your paying the QB position that much money he has to be more then exemptional when it matters and in reality the only one that has is Mahomes.
There’s no such thing as a soft rebuild either you rebuild or not. You can’t be in the middle and this is why they are stupid. If you were rebuilding you would trade Dak, Micah and Lamb. Zack Martin too. You guys give this front office too much credit. You know why they aren’t making moves? Arrogance. They think are one good draft pick away….

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think this year is hope that the team can get hot at the right time with still a considerable amount of talent. 2025 is the tear-down - No Prescott, Martin, Lawrence, and Cooks along with a lot of free agents plus at least $75 million in dead money. 2026 is the rebuild!
A true rebuild would trade Micah and Lamb right now. Those guys don’t want to be apart of a rebuild in the prime of their careers.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Cowboys Free Agency plans

George-Constanza-Nothing.gif

GuitarBytes

Reaction score
With a better RB, another fat DT, and a real LB, Dallas could be a SB contender. They didn’t need that much. They needed a better run game and a new philosophy up front on defense.
Really? are you talking about the cowboys? if they had a better team last season and couldn't win in the playoffs, do you think that now that several players are gone the cowboys can even hope to be 3rd in the division? no kidding, according to you where would they get that RB, LB and DT? from the draft? dallas has no starting C or LT and the only playmaker on offense is Ceede Lamb, do you think this team is going to be motivated after seeing the lack of activity of the jones in free agency? no kidding, looking at the schedule of games, i don't see Dallas winning more than 3 games, the only good thing about this is that next season Dallas could go for one of the best QB's in the 2025 draft. I think the best thing the cowboys can do after seeing the current state of the cowboys would be to cut Dak after June 1 to free up 34M, and play with Tray Lance as the starter, having Dak with this team is not going to be any difference than having Lance as the starter, I don't think any high level player, if there are any left, wants to play for the cowboys given the situation, the cowboys only hope to sign players that have no other option and charge cheap. they only hope for the leftovers.

stiletto

Reaction score
We're going to win 12 games again. This is not a rebuild. Not yet anyway. This is there last dance
12+ old starters are going to be different. The team won't be better because they aren't upgrading anywhere. Safe to say you only get max 1 or 2 starters from the draft. Replacements for the FAs that left will be bottom barrel. It's the start of a house clean, totally evident.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It looks like a decision was made that it's time for a soft rebuild. The front office could easily created over $30 million by restructuring multiple contracts but it seems they want to limit the amount of dead money sent into future cap hits. My guess is that they are going to leave most of the contracts as is and fill out the current roster with close to league minimum type veterans. Gallup will be a June 1st cut to have enough money to sign the draft class.

Maybe the decision was made that this team can't win in the playoffs with a $60+ million dollar Dak Prescott contract and they are going to try and quickly rebuild with an alterative in that position. Theoretically if this team goes with this strategy, it will probable be an above average team this year and possible make the playoffs but the 2025 season will be an adventure. Dead money in 25 will be at least $75 Million that is with out a restructure on Daks contract. I can see Dallas resigning both CeeDee, Parsons, and other young core pieces and try to win in 2026 with a QB not taking up a significant chunk of the salary cap.

I'm not hating on Prescott, I think he is a top 10 QB but he isn't Mahomes (Who signed a team friendly deal). It is Daks prerogative to get as much as he can but like multiple other Qbs around his level getting paid over $50 million he might not be good enough to win a Super Bowl taking that huge of a percentage of the salary cap. Looking at last year, everything needed to go right for them to win in the playoffs. Meaning no injuries to LVE or Diggs and Mazi Smith needed to be the run stopper he was supposed to be and Prescott can't make the mistakes in the playoffs. The front office has made multiple mistakes with money allocation over the year but if your paying the QB position that much money he has to be more then exemptional when it matters and in reality the only one that has is Mahomes.
If you're rebuilding you pretty much need to be amassing premium draft picks in exchange for your best players that have value. You get the best of both worlds: you don't have to pay them, opening up future cap space, and you can reload with high-talent young players in the draft the next few seasons.

If Dallas is actually intent on rebuilding, at a minimum they should be considering trades involving Micah and Lamb. At this point, I do not see a coherent strategy and really all we have is something between a rebuild and holding steady which does absolutely nothing for you.

If they end up extending Dak, it becomes even more confusing. If you were going to extend him, you needed to get it done before FA so you could move his cap hit down the road and free up space to sign some guys and actually try to win this year.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I think that's the smart way to go.
let dak go. take the hit and look for a young qb again that his low salary will offset til he proves him (or her) self.

if he's not a part of the future, cut bait and get on the road there.

75boyz

Reaction score
For my 2 cents I kinda like the potential of Tyler, Bass, Hoffman, Martin and Steele on the oline.

I just think Solari sucks and is absolutely clueless in teaching run blocking to this group.

jmo

shabazz

Reaction score
We're going to win 12 games again. This is not a rebuild. Not yet anyway. This is there last dance
12 games? 1st place schedule this time and having to face those stout AFC North defenses?

Barring some drafting miracle, I'm seeing less than 12 wins for sure

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
I fail to see who's going to replace Dak. A retread? Cousins? Wilson? The team might not win the Superbowl but the team is too good to get a top pick in the draft. If I'm Dak I'm refusing a deal and moving to Minnesota next year. Justin Jefferson, T.J. Hockenson, Jordan Addison... yeah I'm letting it play out

MikeT22

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen Stephen build anything in his entire life?