Quinn didn't want to "do just another rinse and repeat"

Majic

Reaction score
Quinn is of course referring to his past DEFs. I am pleased he is willing to learn from mistakes he has made and not just repeat what he has done in the past. You have to keep evolving in the NFL.

NFL does stand for 'Not For Long' doesn't it?

aikemirv

Reaction score
I would include MM in the conversation about the poor coaching last season. I didn’t really care one way or the other when MM was hired. I do remember the posters that was adamant about his Super Bowl win made him a great coach. To be brutally honest, he was no better than Garrett with his decision-making during games. Rodgers has said that MM had the lowest football IQ of any coach in the league. I really dislike Rodgers as a person, but MM did nothing to prove him wrong and he made several decisions that supported the claims made by a Rodgers. MM is the HC and he was seeing the Nolan catastrophe unfold week by week. I may have missed it, but I didn’t hear about MM helping Nolan with the mess n the defensive side of the ball. He allowed it to continue, which tells me a lot about MM as a coach.
I could not agree more!

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Did he also spend a whole year in in basement watching every play of every game like big Mike said he did?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
However, dropping DLaw in coverage did not seem to work. As a stand up rusher, did not seem to work. And dropping Armstrong in coverage was a disaster. They need to crap can that type of stuff.

Players fit schemes to different degrees. DLaw is a 4-3 DE. He fits a 4-3. If we're not predominantly straight 4-3, DLaw is more valuable elsewhere, and not nearly worth his contract here.
Having no defensive football philosophy in the front office, and delegating that philosophy to the DCs they churn, comes with a cost.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
MM said exactly the same stuff to sucker Jerry
I’ll wait for the results

This was my first thought. Said he wanted to use the Moore system so with no off season they don’t have to change much. First thing I thought was Jerry walking up and asking Quinn “you’re our man if you keep part of the system so my guys aren’t confused.” Quinn: “I had my own epiphany in a cabin and I’m going to make a hybrid off what they had”

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
MM had a major disadvantage last year. He had to play with dudes that he didnt really want.
The guys they brought in last year were the ones he couldn't wait to cut.
I'd say the misses in free agency last year combined with a complete lack of meaningful practices doomed the defense.
The defense was going to be pretty bad regardless but it improved mightily when they went back to basic 1 gap 4-2-5 football and used Wilson either off the ball in passing situations or in the box versus run downs.

If there is any concern for 2021 it is that they will try to do too much overhaul and complicate things again.
But at least this year they should have a full training camp and already have guys at The Star versus it being closed up tight like last year.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I would include MM in the conversation about the poor coaching last season. I didn’t really care one way or the other when MM was hired. I do remember the posters that was adamant about his Super Bowl win made him a great coach. To be brutally honest, he was no better than Garrett with his decision-making during games. Rodgers has said that MM had the lowest football IQ of any coach in the league. I really dislike Rodgers as a person, but MM did nothing to prove him wrong and he made several decisions that supported the claims made by a Rodgers. MM is the HC and he was seeing the Nolan catastrophe unfold week by week. I may have missed it, but I didn’t hear about MM helping Nolan with the mess n the defensive side of the ball. He allowed it to continue, which tells me a lot about MM as a coach.

Yet these are the guys we like to bring in!! I just don't get it

Creeper

Reaction score
He can reflect on his ideas all he wants but at the end of the day he needs players to play better than they did last year.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Must be miserable to have no hope. Not sure why you post here.
I try to be realistic. I go into each season being realistic. We could easily be 12-4 this year, but if we do, it wont have a damn thing to do with the addition of Quinn.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The guys they brought in last year were the ones he couldn't wait to cut.
I'd say the misses in free agency last year combined with a complete lack of meaningful practices doomed the defense.
The defense was going to be pretty bad regardless but it improved mightily when they went back to basic 1 gap 4-2-5 football and used Wilson either off the ball in passing situations or in the box versus run downs.

If there is any concern for 2021 it is that they will try to do too much overhaul and complicate things again.
But at least this year they should have a full training camp and already have guys at The Star versus it being closed up tight like last year.
yep..and we failed in a huge way last offseason in everyway imaginable. It was a dumpster fire that MM walked into with a brand new staff..hard even in the most optimal situation, l;et alone in a pandemic with a new scheme and all the change on the staff and with players. It was a recipe for disaster. He will get no mulligan this year however. He will be on a very hot seat. In fact, at some point I wouldnt be shocked to see him replaced by Quinn if we get off to a very rough start.

Rayman70

Reaction score
did I mention our schedule is brutal? lol...Wins will be at a premium early.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
What are you talking about.......I don't recall anyone being happy with MM bringing in Nolan. Surprised, yea but more disappointed. If you don't care....cool, I do (lol).
Starting in 2015 when Quinn took over the Falcons there defense had the following ranks for pts allowed: 14, 27, 8, 25, 23, 19.

So based upon that, why would anyone be jumping up and down over Quinn? Does he have some awesome schemes nobody knows about? he motivates his players better than others? He drafts better talent than others? Why do his defense do nothing in the past 6 years, minus 1 season?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Starting in 2015 when Quinn took over the Falcons there defense had the following ranks for pts allowed: 14, 27, 8, 25, 23, 19.

So based upon that, why would anyone be jumping up and down over Quinn? Does he have some awesome schemes nobody knows about? he motivates his players better than others? He drafts better talent than others? Why do his defense do nothing in the past 6 years, minus 1 season?
it all depends on what leverage the front office allowed Quinn when drafting his type of guys. Did they allow him enough say? We dont know. It sure looks like this front office is allowing him quite a bit of player say. I am encouraged a little, but skeptical as well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Do you consider being a head coach and a defensive coordinator to be exactly the same thing?

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I am hoping for the best, but like all things related to the Cowboys, I mentally prepare for the worst.
That’s my thought. I’m excited but still weary. The past has made it easy to think the worst

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Do you consider being a head coach and a defensive coordinator to be exactly the same thing?
of course not... the head coach is responsible for EVERYTHING. If that defense sucks, and he was a defensive guru... yeah, IM blaming him for that.'

In reality, I dont blame him though, because it is the players that either get it done or not.

If our defense stinks this year, it wont be because of Quinn. If our defense kicks butt, it wont be because of him... though he will get ALL THE CREDIT.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
excuse??bahaha. You make excuses when you screw up at work. You dont make excuses for having an opinion on an OPINION FORUM. smh
You do when you're entire existence here is to crap on the Cowboys no matter what they do. "Yeah, I'm just a realist".