Quinn didn't want to "do just another rinse and repeat"

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
of course not... the head coach is responsible for EVERYTHING. If that defense sucks, and he was a defensive guru... yeah, IM blaming him for that.'

In reality, I dont blame him though, because it is the players that either get it done or not.

If our defense stinks this year, it wont be because of Quinn. If our defense kicks butt, it wont be because of him... though he will get ALL THE CREDIT.

I look at it this way. I’ve seen plenty of great coordinators that weren’t up to the head coach role. And many went back to being great coordinators again. Norv Turner and Wade Phillips to name a few.

Wade in particular struggled to find a guy to run his defense as well as he could. Then went on to win a Super Bowl as coordinator again.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
You do when you're entire existence here is to crap on the Cowboys no matter what they do. "Yeah, I'm just a realist".
you are so sadly mistaken. You obviously havent seen many of my posts as I am normally the one being called a fanboy.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I look at it this way. I’ve seen plenty of great coordinators that weren’t up to the head coach role. And many went back to being great coordinators again. Norv Turner and Wade Phillips to name a few.

Wade in particular struggled to find a guy to run his defense as well as he could. Then went on to win a Super Bowl as coordinator again.
ah yes... the coordinator that got to coach Von Miller in his prime and had a record setting QB. Its good to walk into the right situation, isnt it......lol

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ah yes... the coordinator that got to coach Von Miller in his prime and had a record setting QB. Its good to walk into the right situation, isnt it......lol

Wade was good before that too. Look it up.

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score
Wade actually had some pretty good years elsewhere I think the litany of loses under this front office has tainted some good coaches that were here. I honestly think Quinn is much more equipped to orchestrate and build a good defense than some want to admit.

817Gill

Reaction score
What scares me is them wanting to keep some things the same as last year. So what are we really going to get.
That system sucked. I know it was Nolan, and adding Quinn improves it overall right away. But somethings needed to be scrapped.

However, dropping DLaw in coverage did not seem to work. As a stand up rusher, did not seem to work. And dropping Armstrong in coverage was a disaster. They need to crap can that type of stuff.
What worked was all those turnovers late in the season. I doubt he’s going to take the things that didn’t work and implement them, wouldn’t really make sense.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am hoping for the best, but like all things related to the Cowboys, I mentally prepare for the worst.

If you want to stop yourself from getting too excited just look at the defensive line.

Until that changes you're not having a good defense.

And, no...Ogabooga and Banana didn't move the needle. It's the same line.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
we will find out about quinn this year lol, that is all I have to say.
no opinion at this point, except he has to be a little better!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When did I deny something? I stated a fact..... the "Great," coach got to walk into a perfect situation for him as a coordinator. Deny that.

Or maybe Wade helped to make it that "perfect situation"? As I said, he was a good coordinator before, and helped the Rams get there afterwards, but you don't want to hear that. Ruins that agenda you've got going.

Aven8

Reaction score
Mike stated last season that he would never have a one call defense which is why Quinn will be multiple here IMO.

phildadon86

Reaction score
If you want to stop yourself from getting too excited just look at the defensive line.

Bohanna is going to surprise you. Kid is the reason Jamin Davis got drafted so high.

Plankton

Reaction score

Don't forget The Chauncey Golston. That pushes it over the top.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Or maybe Wade helped to make it that "perfect situation"? As I said, he was a good coordinator before, and helped the Rams get there afterwards, but you don't want to hear that. Ruins that agenda you've got going.

Right. He’s been in the league forever and improved most Ds he’s worked with. Look at the Texans...from wiki

Prior to the 2011 season,[13] Phillips was hired as the defensive coordinator of the Houston Texans, replacing Frank Bush, who was released by Texans owner Bob McNair.[14] The Texans defense made major improvements on defense in Phillips's first year calling Houston's defense. Houston allowed the fourth-fewest points in the league in 2011 (compared to fourth-most in 2010), the second-fewest yards allowed (third-most in 2010) and third-fewest yards per play (4.8, compared to 6.0, second-worst in 2010)

But I guess he was lucky to have Von Miller once

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Said before and will say again, we are a better defense right now than last year. At least 50% coz of this guy......

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...nother-rinse-and-repeat-with-cowboys-defense/
Dan Quinn didn’t want to “do just another rinse and repeat” with Cowboys defense
Posted by Josh Alper on May 11, 2021, 10:07 AM EDT

Sure sounds a lot to me like Quinn is trying implement an entire new defense and mix it up with the 3-4/4-3 alignments just like Nolan tried to do.

The big difference this year being that Jones devoted and entire draft to changing out the personnel for Quinn as well as in FA. And obviously the full offseason of OTA's, and preseason to install it that Nolan never had.