Quinn Ewers QB Texas

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is compared to Baker Mayfield now a good thing in 2024?
It wouldn’t to me. Mayfield is a pretty good NFL QB. His hype in college was aided a ton by playing on a team at OU with a huge talent advantage at every position in almost every game. In my view he’s overrated. Not to mention he’s a first class jerk.

Quinn Ewers to me is similar in that he also is surrounded by talent that gives him a huge advantage against most college talent. Ewers has a good arm but I’ve been underwhelmed at his accuracy at times. I don’t think QE is a jerk like Mayfield, lol.

Ewers is a very good college QB with some skills that could translate at the next level. But if I were looking for a QB to draft with high likelihood of success I would pass on Ewers.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
It wouldn’t to me. Mayfield is a pretty good NFL QB. His hype in college was aided a ton by playing on a team at OU with a huge talent advantage at every position in almost every game. In my view he’s overrated. Not to mention he’s a first class jerk.

Quinn Ewers to me is similar in that he also is surrounded by talent that gives him a huge advantage against most college talent. Ewers has a good arm but I’ve been underwhelmed at his accuracy at times. I don’t think QE is a jerk like Mayfield, lol.

Ewers is a very good college QB with some skills that could translate at the next level. But if I were looking for a QB to draft with high likelihood of success I would pass on Ewers.
I've watched Ewers a few times. I don't think he's as good as Colt McCoy.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

At this point I'd agree, but doesn't he have the chance to play one more year in college?
I'd reserve judgment until after this year, if he does...

beware_d-ware

Reaction score

I'm not a Texas fan - quite the opposite, as I graduated from A&M. But how does Texas's offensive talent look coming into 2024?

Ewers was throwing to four NFL draft picks last year, and that'll make any college QB look good. But does Texas have more NFL level guys behind them?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm cool. No thanks.
Who do you have your eye on…QB-wise over the next class or two?

I realize it’s not an easy thing to pull off, but I’m a little surprised that there aren’t 30 people on earth that can play pro QB effectively at one given time.

The supply vs demand situation alone causes its own set of additional problems. I think part of it is teams not having time to properly develop them. It’s not worth the time or the resources to develop a QB that’s going to walk away just after he is ready to hit the field. The league could stand to change that up a bit IMO…maybe pay them a tick more if they agree to some sort of redshirt situation?

I dunno, but just maybe the result ends up being more quality QBs that exist, and therefore a better NFL product overall.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i like jalen milroe,alabama.
and tho i'm an irish homer,riley leonard...a transfer from duke...is impressive.
can't wait to watch him with the gold hat.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Who do you have your eye on…QB-wise over the next class or two?

I realize it’s not an easy thing to pull off, but I’m a little surprised that there aren’t 30 people on earth that can play pro QB effectively at one given time.

The supply vs demand situation alone causes its own set of additional problems. I think part of it is teams not having time to properly develop them. It’s not worth the time or the resources to develop a QB that’s going to walk away just after he is ready to hit the field. The league could stand to change that up a bit IMO…maybe pay them a tick more if they agree to some sort of redshirt situation?

I dunno, but just maybe the result ends up being more quality QBs that exist, and therefore a better NFL product overall.
i want cameron ward of miami in the 2nd.

Hardline

Reaction score
This season will determine his draft position value. As of right now he can easily make every NFL throw.

joseephuss

Reaction score
So far he hasn't lived up to the hype. There were some proclaiming he would already have a heisman and be the #1 draft pick this season. Obviously, none of that happened. He can still grown and improve, but for me, he doesn't look like a good NFL starting caliber QB. He looks like a back up, spot starter. Maybe he progresses this season. I think he has bad feet. His feet seem slow and clunky. I'm not talking about running ability(he isn't a runner; 83 rushing attempts for 23 yards), but good use of feet within the pocket.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Lots of QBs that bust can make all the throws
Lots of QBs that bust are big and strong and athletic
Lots of QBs that bust have great college stats

Right now I see little in this coming QB class that I would spend a first on
Certainly no superstars

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not a Texas fan - quite the opposite, as I graduated from A&M. But how does Texas's offensive talent look coming into 2024?

Ewers was throwing to four NFL draft picks last year, and that'll make any college QB look good. But does Texas have more NFL level guys behind them?
Ewers is surrounded by NFL talent. That doesn’t mean he’s not talented too. But it’s much easier to showcase your talent when you aren’t running for your life every play.

I would consider Ewers similar to JJ McCarthy who also was surrounded by talent. Ewers May actually have a better arm. McCarthy certainly has talent too but I expect him to struggle this year because he used to having a clean pocket and a dominant running game. We haven’t seen McCarthy have to carry a huge load as a QB.