Quinn Ewers QB Texas

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It wouldn’t to me. Mayfield is a pretty good NFL QB. His hype in college was aided a ton by playing on a team at OU with a huge talent advantage at every position in almost every game. In my view he’s overrated. Not to mention he’s a first class jerk.

Quinn Ewers to me is similar in that he also is surrounded by talent that gives him a huge advantage against most college talent. Ewers has a good arm but I’ve been underwhelmed at his accuracy at times. I don’t think QE is a jerk like Mayfield, lol.

Ewers is a very good college QB with some skills that could translate at the next level. But if I were looking for a QB to draft with high likelihood of success I would pass on Ewers.
I would tend to agree. In the past, he’s had periods of inaccuracy when getting a little pressure although he has improved in that area recently. I guess it would depend on where in the draft you have the opportunity to take him. He definitly has the arm talent.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I already knew Manning was way better from the limited passes he has thrown and he is the the most mobile Manning too,Ewers should have declared for the draft,his stock is not great especially with his injury history.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I already knew Manning was way better from the limited passes he has thrown and he is the the most mobile Manning too,Ewers should have declared for the draft,his stock is not great especially with his injury history.
I don’t know if he had come out this year he wouldn’t have been a first rounder. He has a chance next year.

gtb1943

Reaction score
He is still starting over the Wonder boy
though this injury might give WB his chance to Wally Pipp him

mattjames2010

Reaction score
About the only thing Ewers is doing is playing JUST good enough to keep us from seeing the prospect we all want to watch.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
well, then, the coach is doing the right thing then, eh?
Evers is frankly playing very well.
We aren't discussing the coach, we are discussing the player. He's not a top QB prospect (unless scouts go stupid again like they have with the past 4-5 years)

My point being, Ewers was just good enough to prevent the inevitable from happening a little longer. He's playing well on a stacked team, but there isn't much special about his game. Manning, however, is expected to be a generational type player. Pretty sure they already have him a the top of the QB power ranking for the upcoming week.

gtb1943

Reaction score
We aren't discussing the coach, we are discussing the player. He's not a top QB prospect (unless scouts go stupid again like they have with the past 4-5 years)

My point being, Ewers was just good enough to prevent the inevitable from happening a little longer. He's playing well on a stacked team, but there isn't much special about his game. Manning, however, is expected to be a generational type player. Pretty sure they already have him a the top of the QB power ranking for the upcoming week.
yeah sure whatever

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ewers has never played a full season without injury. He certainly has tools, but he has baggage too.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I watched Ewers vs Michigan and was impressed. His game looks very mature for a college player - he was stepping up in pockets and getting throws out fast to his correct read.

I didn't think his tools looked overwhelming, and that matters a ton in the NFL, cause having average physical ability basically limits you to becoming a Dak or Kirk Cousins type player at the most. But he's got the game of an NFL starter right now. If I'm the Giants, I would put Ewers out on the field today ahead of Daniel Jones.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I watched Ewers vs Michigan and was impressed. His game looks very mature for a college player - he was stepping up in pockets and getting throws out fast to his correct read.

I didn't think his tools looked overwhelming, and that matters a ton in the NFL, cause having average physical ability basically limits you to becoming a Dak or Kirk Cousins type player at the most. But he's got the game of an NFL starter right now. If I'm the Giants, I would put Ewers out on the field today ahead of Daniel Jones.
Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady were not great athletes or had great arms.
Way too much emphasis is placed on physical tools as regards QBs

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

He’s favored to go #1.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady were not great athletes or had great arms.
Way too much emphasis is placed on physical tools as regards QBs
All those guys are out of the league.

If you look at the blue-chip QBs in the league today, most of them are just athletic marvels. Joe Burrow is now a subpar athlete by NFL standards but plays great ball, CJ Stroud is a little above average for an NFL athlete and plays outstanding ball, and then dudes like Lamar, Mahomes, and Allen just have physical tools out the wazoo.

The pocket guys tend to get stuck at a Dak, Kirk Cousins, Jared Goff type level. They can execute plays within structure but can't break defenses outside of it. And so they tend to just take whatever their offense gives them, and play to the level of the offense around them. They're trailer QBs carried by their offense, not tractor QBs that push it towards wins.

Tractor QBs are guys who can save a broken play and take more than what their teammates have given them. And all the tractor QBs who can save a broken play from within the pocket - and you can include dudes like PFM and Brady in this - have unbelievably good anticipation and awareness. Joe Burrow was the last college guy I saw on their kind of level.

Ewers anticipates well, but not the supernatural kind of well that you need to be an MVP-level pocket quarterback.

Last edited:

gtb1943

Reaction score
All those guys are out of the league.

If you look at the blue-chip QBs in the league today, most of them are just athletic marvels. Joe Burrow is now a subpar athlete by NFL standards but plays great ball, CJ Stroud is a little above average for an NFL athlete and plays outstanding ball, and then dudes like Lamar, Mahomes, and Allen just have physical tools out the wazoo.

The pocket guys tend to get stuck at a Dak, Kirk Cousins, Jared Goff type level. They can execute plays within structure but can't break defenses outside of it. And so they tend to just take whatever their offense gives them, and play to the level of the offense around them. They're trailer QBs carried by their offense, not tractor QBs that push it towards wins.

Tractor QBs are guys who can save a broken play and take more than what their teammates have given them. And all the tractor QBs who can save a broken play from within the pocket - and you can include dudes like PFM and Brady in this - have unbelievably good anticipation and awareness. Joe Burrow was the last college guy I saw on their kind of level.

Ewers anticipates well, but not the supernatural kind of well that you need to be an MVP-level pocket quarterback.
and its been mentioned by many that the current state of NFL qbs is lower than it has been for some time so that kind of destroys your point about physical gifts

75% of what makes a QB great is between the ears.

Love how you dismiss Tom Brady as a player of the past

Once again falling in love with the physical part is what gets the greatest draft busts