Quinn on Eagles tush push

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Cowboys DC Dan Quinn when asked about the Eagles’ tush push play: “For us, (defending it) won’t be exactly what we’ve done or shown before. It’ll be something that we have to do a little bit different. … It’ll be a tough challenge, but one we’re definitely up for.”

“It gets a lot of attention, but those throws to A.J. Brown go a lot further than that one-yard sneak. … They got a bunch of explosive plays that are at the front of my thinking first, but because third and forth downs are so critical and their time of possession, you better be able to get some stops.”

CCBoy

Reaction score
Hmm, he’s got a plan. I hope they don’t get punched in the mouth.
Fight! It's on...knock 'em the hell out! There is an option off it now and that reduces defensive players in the scrum.

Do a tush push of their on doubled up at both offensive guard gap with defensive tackles and offensive tackles. Drive starting very low. Then outside safeties/linebackers.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
Just put our Oline against theirs and push back!

Field might just crumble down like in the Dark Knight movie!

Creeper

Reaction score
Just put our Oline against theirs and push back!

Field might just crumble down like in the Dark Knight movie!
Sounds funny but I was wondering if the answer is to put in the biggest strongest offensive linemen in the middle of the DL and have them get low and push back but the Eagles showed a new wrinkle when they ran the ball outside so it creates a bit of doubt about how to defend it. I still think the answer is for the LBs to launch over the top and hit the QB as he surges. But it is imperative that the DL gets off first.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
Sounds funny but I was wondering if the answer is to put in the biggest strongest offensive linemen in the middle of the DL and have them get low and push back but the Eagles showed a new wrinkle when they ran the ball outside so it creates a bit of doubt about how to defend it. I still think the answer is for the LBs to launch over the top and hit the QB as he surges. But it is imperative that the DL gets off first.
Yeah, the times I've seen the play stopped, not necessary the eagles but other teams, is a well timed leap that hits the QB, but a lot of luck and other factors have to go into that really.

I believe next year they will ban it. I was ok with the QB sneak, but the push really makes no sense since "leaping" for ex. Is prohibited.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yeah, the times I've seen the play stopped, not necessary the eagles but other teams, is a well timed leap that hits the QB, but a lot of luck and other factors have to go into that really.

I believe next year they will ban it. I was ok with the QB sneak, but the push really makes no sense since "leaping" for ex. Is prohibited.
Hurts goes too low for that tactic to work. It’s been a great play for the Eagirls however it takes a toll on the QB. Hurts has a sore knee so maybe it won’t be as effective this weekend.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Fight! It's on...knock 'em the hell out! There is an option off it now and that reduces defensive players in the scrum.

Do a tush push of their on doubled up at both offensive guard gap with defensive tackles and offensive tackles. Drive starting very low. Then outside safeties/linebackers.
That is a defensive counter and possibly with more weight and power at the center of that formation push tushed in gaps outside of the center.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah when you say stuff like that is when they sneak a pass catcher down the field and end up completing a 20 yard pass with zero defenders around.
I mean they’ve been doing it. I seen them run a sweep off of the tush push formation and I think this past Sunday they passed out of it. Keep them out of 3rd and 1 and you don’t have to worry about it.

Reactions: CWR