Quinn on Eagles tush push

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
I mean they’ve been doing it. I seen them run a sweep off of the tush push formation and I think this past Sunday they passed out of it. Keep them out of 3rd and 1 and you don’t have to worry about it.
They ran a sweep this past Sunday. I don’t think they passed out of it yet… I would be on high alert this Sunday though.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Yeah, the times I've seen the play stopped, not necessary the eagles but other teams, is a well timed leap that hits the QB, but a lot of luck and other factors have to go into that really.

I believe next year they will ban it. I was ok with the QB sneak, but the push really makes no sense since "leaping" for ex. Is prohibited.
Leaping isn’t prohibited. It’s just useless

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Hurts seems to go off the left guard most of the time.

The center always stays way low.
The guards are just a bit higher, they don't block as low. Tackles block even a bit higher, at regular pad level run blocking.
Eagles guards ends up on top of the defensive counterparts, who went way low, and they just lay on them, rendering them useless, and leaving Hurts a way to keep moving and be pushed without his knee touching the ground.

Hurts usually does this glide-crawl-get-pushed over the left guard while avoiding touching his knees down - keeping them on bodies.

If the DTs don't go "too low" so their pad level matches the OGs, that will help. Don't get laid on.
If the defense can crash from the outside and grab legs, that'll also help.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They ran a sweep this past Sunday. I don’t think they passed out of it yet… I would be on high alert this Sunday though.
Maybe I’m confusing it two weeks ago maybe they passed out of it? I remember thinking wow this play…..it’s a nice asset.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
Two different plays

QB sneak- defenders can leap
FG’s- no leaping.
Yeah, I did not say leaping in the QB sneak. They are two different plays but both are part of the game.

In one play, is prohibited to use a teammate as a prop. In the other is not.

"Leaping" you can not jump over the back of a teammate to gain leverage to block a FG, is a foul.

"Tush push" you can push your teamate behind to get him across the yard to a 1st down or a TD, no foul.

Is an inconsistency to the rules of the game.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
What I've noticed recently is teams are really focusing on stopping the quarterback sneak of the Eagles. What I noticed the Eagles doing against Washington after 1 sneak didn't work, they just handed off to running back faking a quarterback sneak and they easily walking into the end zone while the D line focuses all the attention on stopping the sneak up the middle. That's what I would watch for more than the sneak. They probably are more cautious using Hurts on QB snakes after he hurt a knee in practice 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Yeah, I did not say leaping in the QB sneak. They are two different plays but both are part of the game.

In one play, is prohibited to use a teammate as a prop. In the other is not.

"Leaping" you can not jump over the back of a teammate to gain leverage to block a FG, is a foul.

"Tush push" you can push your teamate behind to get him across the yard to a 1st down or a TD, no foul.

Is an inconsistency to the rules of the game.
The leaping rule isn’t about using teammates as a prop it outlaws the leaping of the long snapper.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Keep them in 3rd and 4th and more than a yard and you won't see it.

T-RO

Reaction score

Cowboys DC Dan Quinn when asked about the Eagles’ tush push play: “For us, (defending it) won’t be exactly what we’ve done or shown before. It’ll be something that we have to do a little bit different. … It’ll be a tough challenge, but one we’re definitely up for.”

“It gets a lot of attention, but those throws to A.J. Brown go a lot further than that one-yard sneak. … They got a bunch of explosive plays that are at the front of my thinking first, but because third and forth downs are so critical and their time of possession, you better be able to get some stops.”

No surprise to see Pennsylvania boy Risen's acute interest in:
-The Philthy Eagles
-Tush's
-Tush-Push's

As is customary...he'll belittle as many Cowboy coaches and players as possible with each post...while he focuses on the peculiar Philthy things he's phond of.

At some point folks will learn...what Parcells warned of...You're getting sucked in by a guy. Not in a good way if such suckage could ever be a good thing.

Last edited:

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
The leaping rule isn’t about using teammates as a prop it outlaws the leaping of the long snapper.
Oh, I think you are right, I got mixed up because in the NCAA is called "Leaping" to stand on a teamate in an attemp to block a FG, in the NFL is called "Leverage" but the rule is the same, only the name is different.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Dan is right. Worrying about downs 1-3 far more important that focusing on the tush push.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No surprise to see Pennsylvania boy Risen's acute interest in:
-The Philthy Eagles
-Tush's
-Tush-Push's

As is customary...he'll belittle as many Cowboy coaches and players as possible with each post...while he focuses on the peculiar Philthy things he's phond of.

At some point folks will learn...what Parcells warned of...You're getting sucked in by a guy. Not in a good way if such suckage could ever be a good thing.
He's still sore about nobody giving two craps about his loser baseball franchise.

Worst ratings ever.

Bathe in it.