Quinn on stopping Tush Push

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Honestly the best way to stop it is to limit the 3rd/4th and 1 situations. The toughest part about playing the Eagles they change the math and you basically have to approach every series as starting out as 1st and 9. I don't think this is a team that you can sit back and take a conservative approach....you really need to be aggressive and play for the negative plays on defense.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Cowboys DC Dan Quinn when asked about the Eagles’ tush push play: “For us, (defending it) won’t be exactly what we’ve done or shown before. It’ll be something that we have to do a little bit different. … It’ll be a tough challenge, but one we’re definitely up for.”

“It gets a lot of attention, but those throws to A.J. Brown go a lot further than that one-yard sneak. … They got a bunch of explosive plays that are at the front of my thinking first, but because third and forth downs are so critical and their time of possession, you better be able to get some stops.”

hey I have the answer it's pretty simple don't let them get that close to the goal line stop letting them have third and short and easy goal to go how about that how about the defense keep them away from the goal line??

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Cowboys DC Dan Quinn when asked about the Eagles’ tush push play: “For us, (defending it) won’t be exactly what we’ve done or shown before. It’ll be something that we have to do a little bit different. … It’ll be a tough challenge, but one we’re definitely up for.”

“It gets a lot of attention, but those throws to A.J. Brown go a lot further than that one-yard sneak. … They got a bunch of explosive plays that are at the front of my thinking first, but because third and forth downs are so critical and their time of possession, you better be able to get some stops.”

Just get your 2 techs to take the guards knees out....that will take care of it.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
stop them on first and second downs. then cry if they run over you on 3rd. I can't take Quinn seriously without his hat on backward.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
It's the second part of that quote that matters.

"Those throws to A.J. Brown go a lot further than that one-yard sneak. … They got a bunch of explosive plays that are at the front of my thinking first”

Can we please stop with the nonsense that Philly is some physical, mauling team now? They are built around an explosive passing offense.

Hurts just heaves it up knowing that AJ Brown is going to out physical the DB for the ball most of the time. The DL needs to get pressure on Hurts to reduce the number of times he can do this.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
You can't stop it, so you just try to hit Hurts.

That's it. That's all you can do

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Keep them from short to go situations and we'll be fine. Philly isn't blowing teams out, their games have all been relatively close. Hammer down and put points up early.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
You break hurts’ fingers or poke his eyes. Make them remove that play from the book.
You realize the men on NFL teams are professionals, right? Do you think they work hard enough to make an NFL roster only to act in the manner you’re suggesting here? There is not a single man playing for the Dallas Cowboys that would lower himself enough to behave in such a way. “Break fingers or poke his eyes”? The problem is you’re serious.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
I don't think it has anything to do with Hurts. It's all the OL, and particularly Kelce.

If you watch the plays, Hurts and the "pushers" aren't really doing much to make a difference.
He squats 600#, which is probably more than most, if not all, his offensive line squats. Not sure how you can say the power of his legs has nothing to do with that push forward since ‘push force’ is what that play is predicated on. He can move his center or guard along with the defensive player in front of them with his legs.

I’ve watched the plays. I really can’t believe you don’t think his leg power makes a difference. Put 500# of grown men in front of him and he’ll push them backwards. It’s physics, and the Eagles have the force in spades.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
He squats 600#, which is probably more than most, if not all, his offensive line squats. Not sure how you can say the power of his legs has nothing to do with that push forward since ‘push force’ is what that play is predicated on. He can move his center or guard along with the defensive player in front of them with his legs.

I’ve watched the plays. I really can’t believe you don’t think his leg power makes a difference. Put 500# of grown men in front of him and he’ll push them backwards. It’s physics, and the Eagles have the force in spades.
Did you watch his legs on those plays?

It's not what's pushing the line back. He's not getting a ton of push off of them.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Well, it's coming. There will be those 3rd or 4th and ones to stop. I have a formula for stopping this play, which has a 92-93% success rate for the enemy.

The key to the Tush Push is not Hurts. It's not Kelce either. After watching a number of these plays, I notice Hurts more often than not goes left--maybe because Jurgens has been out. The keys to this play are 1. Landon Dickerson, and 2. Jordan Mailata. Hear me out on this.

At the snap of the ball, Dickerson launches himself right into the A gap. He is huge at 6'6", 335. Defenders, who are already low and angled in to pinch the interior gaps, attack immediately, pinching in to the gaps. This is a mistake and the key. Why? Because Mailata, the biggest guy in the league today--he admits that his preferred playing weight is 380, and is 6'8" to boot--crashes into the angled defenders, knocking them away from the point of attack just enough to allow Hurts to ride the wave through. Dickerson created the hole, and Mailata attacks the defenders trying to close the hole.

While I detailed why this isn't a true rugby play, having played both sports, there is an element here that is very important and very rugby-like. If you have ever watched or played rugby, and paid attention to the scrum, you would notice that the players in the scrum and squared up, not angled in. This is important, as squaring up gives the defenders in this formation the best chance to stop momentum. The scrum is all about mass and muscle in a way that is a little bit different then the Tush Push. In rugby, the play doesn't start until the official gives the signal. In our beloved NFL, the offense initiates the play. Once the Tush Push starts, it's mass and muscle.

How to stop this? The defense must be square to the line and attack the player thrusting into the A gap, and also at the same time attack the defender of that player. In other words, attack Landon Dickerson AND Jordan Mailata together. Don't let Mailata wipe out the defenders trying to collapse the interior gaps. Same for the other side if the Eagles go right. Yes, Mailata and Lane Johnson are big, strong as an ox players, but it's really the best chance a defense has to stop this play. Stay square and attack the players defending the initial push into the gap.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Did you watch his legs on those plays?

It's not what's pushing the line back. He's not getting a ton of push off of them.
I’m not going to argue with you. If you don’t understand how much leverage a person can get with their legs STATIONARY, much less moving, I don’t know what to say.

You aren’t the guy in front of him, so it’s impossible for you to imagine how much force he can exert just leaning on the guy in front of him and pushing with his legs. I’m sure it feels like a small car is pushing forward. I guarantee me or you aren’t getting that yard or two.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
It works because:

1. The Eagles have the best O-line in the league

and

2. Hurts can squat two Mack trucks.

Nobody is going to consistently stop it.
Pretty much what this guy said. Hurts is known to squat quite a bit since his HS days in TX and they have that great O-Line.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I’m not going to argue with you. If you don’t understand how much leverage a person can get with their legs STATIONARY, much less moving, I don’t know what to say.

You aren’t the guy in front of him, so it’s impossible for you to imagine how much force he can exert just leaning on the guy in front of him and pushing with his legs. I’m sure it feels like a small car is pushing forward. I guarantee me or you aren’t getting that yard or two.
It's not about how much force he CAN generate with strong legs.

It's whether or not he is actually generating them on those particular plays.
How much force can he generate when them when his feet are barely on the ground (if at all?).
My point is that he is not doing a lot of driving with his legs on those plays, so the fact that he can squat a lot doesn't mean much.

The push on those plays that make it successful is coming from the OL.