Twitter: Quinn on UDFA S Markquese Bell

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Barring injury or a horrific outing during preseason (which I DON'T anticipate), Bell will make this team. I also think that Dennis Houston will push Simi Fehoko at WR, that Storey Jackson could push Izzy Mukuamu at S, and that DaRon Bland (or another rising rookie) could push Nahshon Wright at DB.
Competition is a good thing !

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
We’ve had some success at UDFA at safety. Church, McCray, Killa Keith Davis more recently outside of the obvious guys like Cliff Harris.

Well, we kind oi have to because we don't like drafting top-notch ones.

gimmesix

Reaction score
We’ve had some success at UDFA at safety. Church, McCray, Killa Keith Davis more recently outside of the obvious guys like Cliff Harris.

You forgot the great Jeff Heath.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Barring injury or a horrific outing during preseason (which I DON'T anticipate), Bell will make this team. I also think that Dennis Houston will push Simi Fehoko at WR, that Storey Jackson could push Izzy Mukuamu at S, and that DaRon Bland (or another rising rookie) could push Nahshon Wright at DB.

Generally, if we hit on just one UDFA, that's pretty great. I mean, I'd love to hit on three or four, but it's not likely. We can dream about it, though.

conner01

Reaction score
I don't know. I think it's more likely we'll carry fewer receivers if we know we essentially have two in reserve. I think we'll end up carrying five (maybe Lamb, Tolbert, Houston, Brown, Turpin ... maybe not since Vasher and Fehoko might have something to say about it).
I think they’d love to just carry 5 but probably not possible with two injured
Ideally one of Washington or Gallup is close enough to being ready we don’t have to put them on PUP
Once you cut down to 53, if you put a guy on PUP then he’s out 4 games. But it’s hard to tell just how close either will be at that point
One thing for sure, the more hard decisions you have on the roster the better the talent level is in most cases. I’d hate to lose a young guy over having to go long on another position due to injury but sometimes it happens

gimmesix

Reaction score
Ideally one of Washington or Gallup is close enough to being ready we don’t have to put them on PUP
Once you cut down to 53, if you put a guy on PUP then he’s out 4 games. But it’s hard to tell just how close either will be at that point
One thing for sure, the more hard decisions you have on the roster the better the talent level is in most cases. I’d hate to lose a young guy over having to go long on another position due to injury but sometimes it happens

I believe Gallup will start the year on PUP and Washington will start on IR.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I were Vasher, Fehoko or Houston, I would do the Parcells required 'fetch water/Gatorade' routine except for the Special Teams coach instead of the Head Coach.
- Noah Brown is already a top 3 ST player and plays ST roles that are more unique than the typical gunner.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yes, he's the golden boy, but praise is praise. If Houston is drawing praise from various Cowboys and Bell is drawing praise from various Cowboys, then we should feel good about both of them. Not like both are locks to make the team, just that right now, they look like possible contributors.
Totally, but there is a definite role and avenue for both to make the final cut, that doesnt mean they have to be on the final 53.
Im banking on Bell being an easy add but basically any WR on this depth that can shine in the TC and show in preseason will be a lock as well at this point.
If a vet WR is brought in than it of course will shake that depth up, but as of right now and the short term, expect to be seeing all the bench getting reps.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't put Washington on PUP.

Washington must be on the 53 for 24 hours then moved to IR in order to be eligible to return during the season.

Gallup does not count towards the 53 because he is on PUP.
- Same for LB Clark on NFI.

The PUP wait time as been reduced to 4 games.

The wait time for IR is also 4 games now.

If they want Gallup to return before game 5, then he has to count against the 53 man roster on the cut to 53 date and during all games prior to returning.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They carried 6 or 7 for most of the past few seasons.
- It fluctuates during the season with players on/off IR or on/off the practice squad, but in general they have at least 6 WRs on the roster most weeks.

conner01

Reaction score
If I were Vasher, Fehoko or Houston, I would do the Parcells required 'fetch water/Gatorade' routine except for the Special Teams coach instead of the Head Coach.
- Noah Brown is already a top 3 ST player and plays ST roles that are more unique than the typical gunner.
Exactly
If you are a first couple rounds pick, you can get away with just doing what you do
But if you are a late round pick or UDFA that is a way to make a roster and some guys have made careers out of ST
A college kid who isn’t a star should be learning ST and I’ve always wondered why more guys don’t work on deep snapping. That’s one of the best jobs because the big guys can’t hit you lol