Quinton Coples?

TheFinisher

Reaction score
What's the obsession with turning DEs into 3Techs? Thought some may have learned after giving Crawford that monster extension.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
He is more of an LDE then 3 tech IMO. But Id still give him a look

He actually racked up double digit sacks at both positions (4-3 DE and 4-3 3 tech) under Butch when he coached North Carolina. Copes is a 4-3 DL and has been asked to play in a 3-4 system his entire pro career. Would bring him in on the cheap.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
And do we really need a 3 tech? You have Crawford there and Irving, right? Neither are great but it would seem to me that we need a guy who can play the 1 Tech more than the 3 Tech.

This.

We are set at the 3, we have a hole at the 1...

RoboQB

Reaction score
Not really interested in roster churning right now.

We have games to win.

Roster churning got us Robert Turbin.... I'm not saying to sign Coples... but you always keep an eye out for chances to improve your team roster.

Reactions: BAT

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
What's the obsession with turning DEs into 3Techs? Thought some may have learned after giving Crawford that monster extension.

Cowboy zoners love changing players positions. Some like converting cbs into safeties, DEs into DTs. Smaller lbs into strong safeties. TEs that can't block into WRs

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Just visited jets forums and the fans are saying hes a slow 290lb 4-3 DE who Rex wanted to convert into a 3-4 Olb. He doest have the speed to be an edge rusher and takes plays off. They say every once in a while he'll make a splash play. First three years he avg about 5 sacks a season and his playing time has been reduced significantly this year.

RW31

Reaction score
liked him coming out of the draft, and since he has laid multiple eggs

still would pick him up
He hasn't. He was a monster at DE his first 2 years. Then Rex moved him to OLB to get him on the field because Sheldon and Wilkerson had the DE spots locked up. And yeah. 300 pounds at OLB, that's not gonna work out. As a 3-4 DE however he was dominant especially late in the season in both his first years.

Doubt we get him. The Bills and probably a dozen other teams are ahead of us and probably going to claim him. Maybe even the Buccs with the 1st pick (?).

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
to those saying we wont get him, i thought the waiver wire went by team record. if thats the case, wouldn't we be like 2nd or 3rd?

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
And do we really need a 3 tech? You have Crawford there and Irving, right? Neither are great but it would seem to me that we need a guy who can play the 1 Tech more than the 3 Tech.

I think Irving could be great in the near future. He's already very good in limited time. Imo. I'd love to see one of our zone scouts do a write up on him.

vicjagger

Reaction score
to those saying we wont get him, i thought the waiver wire went by team record. if thats the case, wouldn't we be like 2nd or 3rd?

not sure but I think it is based on last year's record. See the draft order.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

what is the obsession in turning a G into a T? a CB into a safety? some people are just not happy unless they are tinkering about.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He hasn't. He was a monster at DE his first 2 years. Then Rex moved him to OLB to get him on the field because Sheldon and Wilkerson had the DE spots locked up. And yeah. 300 pounds at OLB, that's not gonna work out. As a 3-4 DE however he was dominant especially late in the season in both his first years.

Doubt we get him. The Bills and probably a dozen other teams are ahead of us and probably going to claim him. Maybe even the Buccs with the 1st pick (?).

I was under the impression that waiver wire went by what your record is? And if that's the case then we have damn near top priority

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I wouldn't claim him on waivers because I'm pretty sure the Jets picked up his option for next year, but I'd bring him in.

BoysWin

Reaction score
I wouldn't claim him on waivers because I'm pretty sure the Jets picked up his option for next year, but I'd bring him in.

Source: Jets will exercise 5th-year option on Quinton Coples' contract
4/11/2015 - NFL QUINTON COPLES
The New York Jets will exercise their fifth-year option on outside linebackerQuinton Coples' contract, a league source confirmed to ESPN.com's Rich Cimini.

Coples' option for 2015 will be worth $7.8 million. The Jets' decision to pick up the option was reported earlier Saturday by the New York Daily News.

Coples, 24, recorded a career-high 6.5 sacks and started 15 games last season while making the transition from defensive end to linebacker.

A first-round draft selection in 2012, Coples has 16.5 career sacks with the Jets.

BoysWin

Reaction score
Source: Jets will exercise 5th-year option on Quinton Coples' contract
4/11/2015 - NFL QUINTON COPLES
The New York Jets will exercise their fifth-year option on outside linebackerQuinton Coples' contract, a league source confirmed to ESPN.com's Rich Cimini.

Coples' option for 2015 will be worth $7.8 million. The Jets' decision to pick up the option was reported earlier Saturday by the New York Daily News.

Coples, 24, recorded a career-high 6.5 sacks and started 15 games last season while making the transition from defensive end to linebacker.

A first-round draft selection in 2012, Coples has 16.5 career sacks with the Jets.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14204892/former-first-rounder-quinton-coples-waived-new-york-jets

Coples signed a fully guaranteed four-year, $8.8 million contract. This past spring, the Jets exercised their fifth-year option for $7.8 million in 2016 -- guaranteed at the time for injury only. The Jets no longer owe him that money, and it's wiped off their salary cap.