"Best Player Available" Properly Understood

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
The manta of "best player available" is heard all-too-often in the weeks and months leading up to the draft. It is often contrasted with "filling a need" as if they are a disparate dichotomy. An either/or scenario. Certainly, there are strong arguments against taking the "filling a need" approach to drafting as it often results in reaching for players based on a perceived need as opposed to real value. This problem manifested itself in 2001 when Jerry Jones reached and drafted Quincy Carter to fill the shoes of Troy Aikman well-before the value of Quincy Carter dictated.

But the tendency is to swing too far in the other direction. Taking "the best player available" will result in better players, on average, compared to "filling a need." But a mechanistic view of "best player available" isn't a wise strategy either. Teams can't draft the best player available if it is at a position they don't need.

Take the 2005-2006 San Diego Chargers. Going into the draft in 2005, the Chargers had a Pro Bowl quarterback in Drew Brees and a player drafted the previous year at the very top of the draft in Phillip Rivers. When the Chargers drafted in 2005, if the top player on the board was a quarterback, it would have been a terrible draft policy for the the Chargers to select a quarterback in that position.

The "best player available" approach has to incorporate a consideration of a team's need. So in reality, teams have to take the "don't reach" idea in the "best player available' mindset and incorporate it with the "fill a need" view.

How does a team approach the draft in light of these two concerns? Both techniques can be harmonized by the technique of weighting. To help understand the idea behind weighting, consider this technique: A team pokes, prods, times, tests and otherwise evaluates players to arrive at a "draft board" that ranks every player in the draft with a grade between 1 and a 100. So, hypothetically, a teams pure ratings might produce the following draft board:

Reggie Bush 95
D'Brickashaw Ferguson 94
Mario Williams 91
Matt Leinart 90

A team then goes and performs a serious evaluation of the team and ranks the importance of various positions on the team in terms of need for better players on a +10 to -10 scale. Maybe the team absolutely must draft a quarterback, in which case that position would be a +7. Perhaps a DE would be really helpful and that would be ranked a +5. Perhaps the team has two solid tackles and that would be a -2. Perhaps the team has two franchise caliber running backs competing for the starting job and that would be a -10. Once these two lists are completed, they are then merged into the teams draft board. And the following changes would take place:

Bush 95 (-10) 85
Ferguson 94 (-2) 92
Williams 91 (+5) 96
Leinart 90 (+7) 97

The teams draft board would then be reorganized to list in order the "best player available" given the teams needs.

Leinart 97
Williams 96
Ferguson 92
Bush 85

A team that performs a weighted system like this in creating a draft board then has to only force itself to follow it exactly in order to ensure that the team maximizes the improvement to the team with a quality draft.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
I just thought I would share this one theory because I think it would be important in the Cowboys case.

At #18, a guy like LenDale White or a cornerback might be the true "best player available," but the Cowboys aren't going to draft one of them at #18 because they got Julius/Marion/Tyson and Henry/Newman/Glenn. OLB is an absolute must in this draft (using the above technique, I'd say it is a +7 or +8). So would be FS. So I think in creating a board, I think we would have to devalue RBs, CBs, etc. and value OLB and FS (and to a lesser extent, Tackle).

Just a thought.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Agreed that is the way to best player available, but in that assumption you've already built in need. So if you take someone whos not at the top of your draft board, considering you've already adjusted for need then you are reaching for a need.

lkelly

Reaction score
If you can trade down and still get your need/BPA combo, then that's the best scenario.

DatBoySk

Benched
Reaction score
i think the sleeper in the draft in devin hester nobody gives him props cause he didnt have a main position but honestly i think he woould be a steal because he adds depth to almost every postion he plays CB RB S WR PR KR and as a die hard Canes Fan i must say he is good at all those postions

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I believe in the BPA at your specific needs.
If you need an OLB/FS/WR/RT, and you need a FS more than anything, don't just take the FS if he's not better than the OLB that's right there.

Pokes28

Reaction score
Just remember that rarely is there a single player that holds a single grade. There may be 10 different players that grade out to (throwing out a number here) 75.5 on a team's draft board. At that point, they need to look at the various factors and decided among those to find out which is the BPA for the team.

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

dwmyers

Reaction score
I've said this before and I'll say it again:

BPA versus need is at best a minor issue. The far bigger issue in the draft is the evaluation of players, which has errors measurable in whole draft rounds. Whether you draft BPA or for need, it won't matter much so long as your scouts are good and more importantly, better than the other guys.

If your talent assessment sucks, your strategy might beat Fischer in chess, but your players will suck regardless.

David.