"Bubble Boyz" to Watch Tonight?

HighTechDave

7 Years of College Down the Drain
Reaction score
so what "bubble boyz" do I need to keep an eye on, to keep me interested in the final half? The second half of pre-season bores me to tears, so help me here.

Oh, I still hate the 40whiners, even though they suck (makes me happy)

:star:

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
elam, hoyte, all of the RT's, and the kickers just to name a few. But I think Skyler Green is the biggest bubble. If he doesn't show BP something on returns I think he is out the door. BP likes Rector and Hurd too much.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Watch McQuistan. If he has another game like New Orleans I can't imagine him making the final 53.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
theogt said:
Watch McQuistan. If he has another game like New Orleans I can't imagine him making the final 53.

McQ is a Parcell's project. He will make the 53 by Bill bias.

superpunk

Reaction score
YoMick said:

He's a project regardless. Played football for less time than his brother, but he's got the physical talent.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Or Fabini. :eek:
The guy played extremely well on Monday. I know "progress stopper" is the buzzword this week, but there's plenty of youth at the tackle position outside of Fabini (Petitti & Columbo). If backup is what we're looking for and Bill wants to win, I'm thinking he goes with a solid vet over a project.

Nav22

Reaction score
Yeah, Parcells is a jerk. Obviously biased towards "good football players". Jerry should fire him before kickoff tonight.

superpunk

Reaction score
theogt said:
The guy played extremely well on Monday. I know "progress stopper" is the buzzword this week, but there's plenty of youth at the tackle position outside of Fabini (Petitti & Columbo).

I guess McQ could be a PS player. But he and Pettiti are the kind of guys Parcells likes to have around, guys that just work their butts off. I didn't notice Fabini playing extremely well against NO, thought he was letting ?Smith? beat him pretty consistently, but when I was paying attention to the line, mostly I watched the left. Who knows if Columbo is even a lock, at this point.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
superpunk said:
I guess McQ could be a PS player. But he and Pettiti are the kind of guys Parcells likes to have around, guys that just work their butts off. I didn't notice Fabini playing extremely well against NO, thought he was letting ?Smith? beat him pretty consistently, but when I was paying attention to the line, mostly I watched the left. Who knows if Columbo is even a lock, at this point.
Fabini played the first half and didn't get beat once that I can remember. He got nice push on runblocking (most of the time) and kept his man from making a backside tackle which McQ doesn't seem to understand is part of his job.

superpunk

Reaction score
theogt said:
Fabini played the first half and didn't get beat once that I can remember. He got nice push on runblocking (most of the time) and kept his man from making a backside tackle which McQ doesn't seem to understand is part of his job.

LOL...well he is a raw 7th round rookie. I don't think we can judge him too harshly seeing his time against the Saints first team D, with some pretty nice DEs. I don't know who's gonna get cut, really. Fabini was my guess, but it could just as easily be any of the young guys. We'll keep 4 tackles.

HDC

Reaction score
I agree we'll probably only keep four offensive tackles on the roster (plus one on the Practice Squad, probably). However, I think it is possible (likely?) that we will try to trade one. What do you guys think of that possibility?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
HDC said:
I agree we'll probably only keep four offensive tackles on the roster (plus one on the Practice Squad, probably). However, I think it is possible (likely?) that we will try to trade one. What do you guys think of that possibility?
Do you mean, try to trade FOR one?

superpunk

Reaction score
HDC said:

Do any of them have any value? I don't think so, personally. Fabini lasted a while before we picked him up, Pettiti hasn't shown much, and McQ is too raw for any decent trade value.

Maybe Columbo, but he's been a project they're hoping pays off here soon.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Nav22 said:
Yeah, Parcells is a jerk. Obviously biased towards "good football players". Jerry should fire him before kickoff tonight.

I meant project/bias in a good way... he see's something in McQ.

:abuseme:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Teague31 said:
But I think Skyler Green is the biggest bubble. If he doesn't show BP something on returns I think he is out the door. BP likes Rector and Hurd too much.

I'm just curious what you think Bill needs to see here.

There have been several posts showing that Green is near the top in both PR and KR averages this pre-season. And other posts showing that even the great Dante Hall needed a couple of years before he became a great returner.

I think folks are setting expectations far too high for Green -- Do you really think you need to see a couple of TD returns for him to make the team?

The kid was drafted to return kicks -- he catches them cleanly and has broken a punt for 20+ yards. That is a very solid performance.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
abersonc said:

There have been several posts showing that Green is near the top in both PR and KR averages this pre-season. And other posts showing that even the great Dante Hall needed a couple of years before he became a great returner.

I think folks are setting expectations far too high for Green -- Do you really think you need to see a couple of TD returns for him to make the team?

The kid was drafted to return kicks -- he catches them cleanly and has broken a punt for 20+ yards. That is a very solid performance.
Link to the stats? (I'm too lazy to search :D) I've thought he's looked pretty solid and can't understand why so many people have been negative about him. Heck, I don't understand half the reactions around here.

superpunk

Reaction score
abersonc said:

Completely agree. I think people are taking Parcells lukewarm comments, in reference to giving him every opportunity to take the return spot a bit far.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
theogt said:
Link to the stats? (I'm too lazy to search :D) I've thought he's looked pretty solid and can't understand why so many people have been negative about him. Heck, I don't understand half the reactions around here.

Here's my post from another thread below.

Lookit -- you are being unreasonable if you are expecting a returner to come in and bust out 20+ yard returns in every game.

Dante Hall average 3 20+ yard punt returns a year. That's about 1 every 6 games. Green had one last night.

The last good returner we had was Deion -- no one is every going to approach that level so stop using at your comparison. Among PRs this preseason, Green ranks 9th overall. He doesn't have enough KRs (2) to qualify for rankings -- but his 21 yard average on those 2 would put him 3rd overall.

See what a little perspective does????