"Bulletin Board" Material from Commanders Writer

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan;3449577 said:
But your roster is "flat out" better and you are a Superbowl contender. This is your year. Starting off 0-1 is a major blow.

This isn't the 1993 Cowboys that can bounce back from losing the opener in DC 35-16. There are teams just as good, and better coached then the Cowboys in the NFC

Again, trying to predict anything schedule wise at this juncture is foolish. You may get lucky and beat Vegas in week 1 and 2 though since they don't have a clue yet either.

Look at the 1999 Rams, from 4-12 to Superbowl winners with Kurt Warner, playing in a division with the 49ers who just came off a loss in the NFC title game to Green Bay at home.

Who would have thought the 49ers would fall apart and the Rams would win the Superbowl in 1999?

I guess you missed the part where I said I believe any team can beat anyone in weeks 1 and 17?

and yes I agree looking to the future to how teams play is tough, but looking at your schedule the first 6 weeks I feel like you are playing some solid teams with consistent qb play.

Romo
Schaub
rogers
peyton manning

now kolb and whoever starts in st.louis is different. But I still feel philly is a better team.

just saying, that is a tough start. Letting the first one where everything will be in your corner could take an emotional toll.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
theebs;3449588 said:
just saying, that is a tough start. Letting the first one where everything will be in your corner could take an emotional toll.

Disagree with everything being in our corner. The Cowboys roster is clearly superior and the Cowboys just came off their best season in 14 years and have won the last 2 times at FedEx.

This is the Cowboys game to win. Although expecting a walk in the park as most people in this thread do is silly

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan;3449585 said:
Thats the media's expectations, and if the Cowboys have serious expectations to win it all, thats the locker room expectation as well.

To lose to a division opponent that was 4-12 last year and that you shutout the last time you played does not bode well for the Cowboys season.

The Commanders aren't expected to do much, despite the changes. Most people, including the writer in the OP, clearly have a "wait and see" attitude and are expecting an 8-8, 9-7 type year. I am less optimistic and until further notice expect another losing season

The Cowboys are expected to be top dog in the NFC. Part of that is going into your rivals house and putting the W on the board, and not falling behind early in the division race.

that is a fair point I guess, except that we have seen this same dallas team lose games in the division and still bounce back and most importantly its a road game.

and again, anyone can beat anyone in weeks 1 and 17 from my perspective.

why you are taking this mindset that Dallas couldnt survive a week 1 loss is odd. Divisional games are always tough. Lots of good teams lose to divisonal opponents.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SkinsHokieFan;3449591 said:
Disagree with everything being in our corner. The Cowboys roster is clearly superior and the Cowboys just came off their best season in 14 years and have won the last 2 times at FedEx.

This is the Cowboys game to win. Although expecting a walk in the park as most people in this thread do is silly

I don't expect a 'walk in the park' as the Commanders get up for the Cowboys even when they're an inferior team, just as the Cowboys have done in the past when roles were reversed.

I do however fully expect to win that game.

DemonBlood

Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan;3449577 said:
But your roster is "flat out" better and you are a Superbowl contender. This is your year. Starting off 0-1 is a major blow.

This isn't the 1993 Cowboys that can bounce back from losing the opener in DC 35-16. There are teams just as good, and better coached then the Cowboys in the NFC

Again, trying to predict anything schedule wise at this juncture is foolish. You may get lucky and beat Vegas in week 1 and 2 though since they don't have a clue yet either.

Look at the 1999 Rams, from 4-12 to Superbowl winners with Kurt Warner, playing in a division with the 49ers who just came off a loss in the NFC title game to Green Bay at home.

Who would have thought the 49ers would fall apart and the Rams would win the Superbowl in 1999?

SuperCoolStoryBro.png

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan;3449591 said:

well I see your disagree and raise you a disagree.

By the time the week of the opener gets here I guarantee you everything will be in your corner.

Whether it will be media speculation, fan excitement from the new regime or my personal opinion....the skins scoring a bunch of points in the preseason and the fans and media in DC expecting the offense to be the colts.

for whatever reason, you will have everything in your corner. Emotion, crowd, at home, the unkown.

Its a much bigger game for washington. Like I said, lose that home game and you are looking up at 5 more games against some prolific offenses and that balloon will have been deflated.

win the game and the momentum may get you to october 3 3-0 and riding high.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
theebs;3449595 said:
why you are taking this mindset that Dallas couldnt survive a week 1 loss is odd. Divisional games are always tough. Lots of good teams lose to divisonal opponents.

Agree. Although losing in week 1 puts you behind the 8 ball to start the season.

Its just reversing what you are saying about the Commanders. That losing in week 1 could make it a long first 6 weeks.

You have no clue at all what will happen after that. And neither do I.

For all we know, Romo, Schuab, Rogers and Manning could get injured in the preseason and be out for the year

Even if that ridiculous scenario doesn't happen, a week 1 loss for a team expected to go 8-8 isn't a big deal. There are 15 chances to win 8 games. Or 6 games as I currently expect

A team vying for a home field advantage doesn't lose in week 1

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan;3449570 said:
Do yourself a favor and don't expect Dallas to win

Why shouldn't we expect Dallas to win?

History has proven that your team is our *****. We have consistently owned your team. They are our doormat. Look at the historical win-loss record. Statistics suggest that a rational person should expect Dallas to win over the inferior organization in Washington, who the Cowboys defeat with clear regularity.

Also, look at the statistics since Snyder took over. Based on that horizon, there is an even greater statistical likelihood that Dallas (or practically any team) is going to beat your garbage team.

Every off-season the idiot fans of the Commanders think that there major off-season moves are going change things and then go run their mouths about how everyone should watch out. And every year those idiots then look like the idiots they are when the season starts and their crappy team is crappy.

Shannahan isn't 1/10th the savior Commanders fans are acting like he is. McNabb is done, which is why a well-managed organization like the Eagles let him go for peanuts. Sure, McNabb is better than loser Jason Campbell, but he isn't going to remake that team. No one seems to mention that they hired a loser to run their defense, and he is trying to implement a copycat 3-4 when he has no idea what he is doing and the players don't either.

The Commanders have holes on the o-line, washed up runningbacks, a WR corps full of washed up has-beens or busted-out never-weres, and a bunch of idiots trying to learn new offensive and defensive systems.

And anyone who thinks Willie Parker is in the best shape of his life and running a sub 4.4 is an abject moron.

Yet, the idiot Commanders fans can't see any way the team is worse than 8-8.

I think the volume of grey matter in a brain is inversely proportional to the extent someone is a fan of the Commanders.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan;3449570 said:
Somehow Jim Zorn managed to in September 2008

That Cowboys roster was stacked. The Commanders came in with Jason Campbell at QB and controlled that entire game in Dallas.

First game of the year. Do yourself a favor and don't expect Dallas to win 35-7

But not opening week. That's a totally different animal. Week one is not a great week for upsets and not especially favorable to home teams. Just the opposite.

The uncertainty surrounding week one historically has more to do with not knowing just what each team is and what they will be for the coming season. It's not some free for all more conducive to upsets.

Teams have extra time to prepare and focus for week one. The extra focus you get in week one makes a favorite less likely to overlook an inferior team and suffer an upset.
The extra time removes one of the major disadvantages to going on the road.

I love opening the season on the road. I always felt it was an advantage to do so.
I especially like to do it against an inferior team for all the above mentioned reasons.

I fully expect the Cowboys to win week one in convincing fashion. The Skins are not a good team. Here's a bold prediction for you. The skins switch to the 3-4 will be very challanging and I expect them to finish in the bottom third of most every defensive statistic.

Cowboys 31-13.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
cobra;3449619 said:
Why shouldn't we expect Dallas to win?

1st game of the season on Sunday night.

Although yea, the Cowboys should walk in and win 35-16. Or 35-7. Or 26-24.

That would clearly match history

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan;3449623 said:
That would clearly match history

What clearly matches history is that your franchise is unarguably inferior to the Cowboys. So statistically and historically, it is indisputable that your inferior team should lose.

Whether this is an exception to the rule or not, who knows. All I know is that in the long run, your team will more likely than not lose to the Cowboys more times than not.

Because your team is inferior to our team. That's a fact.

You can play your silly expectation game all you want so you have something to crow about if your team manages to keep it close or win.

But just so you know, your team is objectively inferior. As between us, you support the loser. The *****. The joke. So you'd be well-served to not ever try to talk trash.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan;3449609 said:
Agree. Although losing in week 1 puts you behind the 8 ball to start the season.

Its just reversing what you are saying about the Commanders. That losing in week 1 could make it a long first 6 weeks.

You have no clue at all what will happen after that. And neither do I.

For all we know, Romo, Schuab, Rogers and Manning could get injured in the preseason and be out for the year

Even if that ridiculous scenario doesn't happen, a week 1 loss for a team expected to go 8-8 isn't a big deal. There are 15 chances to win 8 games. Or 6 games as I currently expect

A team vying for a home field advantage doesn't lose in week 1

Buzzzzz wrong again, but thanks for playing. A team vying for home field advantage, a team that's actually that good can absolutely drop a week one game.
You know why? Because they are that good. They're not counting up Ws-Ls on the schedule. Looking at and counting on the 3-5 very winable games because they know they have as many very very difficult games they are not likely to win.

Because like the Cowboys, they have no unwinable games. There are no games they count as an almost certain loss. They can drop week one and go on a 4, 6, perhaps 8 game winning streak. They know they can go into Min and win. They know they can go to Indy and win.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Hoofbite;3449639 said:
The skins are treating week 1 like it's all the have.

Well they should. It's all their hope has because that's when it dies.:D

That's when the reality of how much they suck and how great their hated rival is, smacks them upside the head.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;3449454 said:
That interview was just dumb.

My brain cells were committing suicide with each word I read.

Indeed.

That interview made our most ignorant Cowboy fans seem like Norman Einstein.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Season-opening losses to divisional opponents throughout the franchise's entire history:

1962: Dallas tied the Washington Commanders, who finished 1-12-1 the previous season. Please note: this loss occurred during the first five years of the franchise's history when it was building from scratch. The team finished 5-8-1. Of course, a tie is technically neither a win nor a loss.

1963: Dallas lost to the then St. Louis Cardinals, who finished 4-9-1 the previous season. Once again: this loss occurred during the first five years of the franchise's existence. The team ended its season 4-10.

1964: Dallas lost to the (you said it) St. Louis Cardinals, who finished 9-5 (commonly referred to as a 'winning season') the previous season. Dallas finished 5-8-1.

1987: Dallas lost to the still St. Louis-based Cardinals, who finished 4-11-1 the previous season. Dallas finished 7-8 during a strike year in one of Tom Landry's final seasons. Of course, the 1987 season was a strike season which is held in the highest regard by Commanders fans everywhere. :rolleyes:

1993: the Cowboys lost to the Washington Commanders, who finished 9-7 (e.g. again over .500) the previous season. Dallas' season finished with it's fourth Lombardi trophy.

2000: Dallas lost to the Philadelphia Eagles, who finished 5-11 the previous season. Needless to say, Dallas was in the throes of salary cap hell during this period of its history and struggled to finish 5-11.

That's it. Obviously, some opinion[strike]s[/strike] about the current team's opportunity of winning in Week 1 is not based on a historical basis at all.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Who expected a "walk in the park"? Maybe a person or two but hardly the majority.

If you're directing any of this warning about overconfidence at me, that LMAO smiley was for the Skins fan guaranteeing the Skins would win because "Shanahan is a perfectionist" and has has been watching game film for months... Like no other coach has been doing the same thing.

I expect you guys to be vastly better than you have been and for your offense to be good pretty much immediately. I wouldn't be surprised if the Skins beat anyone on their schedule this year.

Every team in the East is going to be super tough this year, which stinks. But it'll be that way for everone.

Ren

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3449639 said:
The skins are treating week 1 like it's all the have.

it's is

Up until then it's still offseason, their time to shine :lmao2:

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3449669 said:
Who expected a "walk in the park"? Maybe a person or two but hardly the majority.

If you're directing any of this warning about overconfidence at me, that LMAO smiley was for the Skins fan guaranteeing the Skins would win because "Shanahan is a perfectionist" and has has been watching game film for months... Like no other coach has been doing the same thing.

I expect you guys to be vastly better than you have been and for your offense to be good pretty much immediately. I wouldn't be surprised if the Skins beat anyone on their schedule this year.

Every team in the East is going to be super tough this year, which stinks. But it'll be that way for everone.

I would.:D

Who knows for sure, but I'm not expecting every East team to be even very good.

The skins won't for sure as they finish last.

The eagles are tough to guage for me. Certainly the biggest variance in expected results. Their defense may be improved this year with some of those additions. Maybe not. Maybe thier DC is just too big a step down from Johnson. But Kolb is the real wildcard. He may suck. We just don't know. I could see them anywhere from 10-6 to 6-10.

I fully expect the giants to finish 2nd. Easily the best bet to give us a run for our money. I like Manning and most of the rest of the team. I think they make the play-offs.