"I don't know how many yards we needed, I know we needed some"

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WV Cowboy;3254597 said:
I said that to my wife and son last night as soon as this all happened.

If we were a FG away from going to the Super Bowl, and Wade got a penalty for 12 men on the field, and Romo threw a "rookie mistake" INT late over the middle, (with room to run back into FG range) ... both of them would be absolutely "roasted" all day today.

Nobody should get a pass for either of those "brain wrecks".

Jesus. Could you imagine what it would be like around here? That 12 men in the huddle fiasco was ridiculous. They gave away a Superbowl berth, no doubt about it.

JBond

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3254539 said:
I guarantee you that if a Dallas Cowboys Quarterback had his same stats, you wouldn't be saying he is overrated.

Brett Favre is a hell of a player.

Also, people that are upset about them running up the score need to realize the guy doesn't make those kinds of decisions.

Well, going by the stats he is a great player and a horrible player. He does have that one ring. The 81 int's over his last 5 seasons is more indicative of his play than his post season success or lack of, in my opinion.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
JBond;3254534 said:
Being old is not an excuse for not knowing what the hell you are doing. I could care less about his skins and glad he choked. Perfect ending to his overrated career.
Agree!

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I remember a few years ago when Romo was just coming on and all the talk about Favre being Romo's idol and all.

The sentiment was "I hope he is the next Favre."

I said then and I say again, I hope he is the First Romo and NOT the next Favre.

He has a bad habit of doing what we saw yesterday. (Favre I mean)

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3254597 said:
I said that to my wife and son last night as soon as this all happened.

If we were a FG away from going to the Super Bowl, and Wade got a penalty for 12 men on the field, and Romo threw a "rookie mistake" INT late over the middle, (with room to run back into FG range) ... both of them would be absolutely "roasted" all day today.

Nobody should get a pass for either of those "brain wrecks".
...and for years into the future.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3254513 said:
I just don't get this type of sentiment.

Folks, when you have a ton of skins on the wall, no matter what industry you are in, you will have some leeway and given a pass.

When Tony Romo becomes a 3-time MVP and a future Hall of Fame Player, you will see that he will get a pass as well and be just as revered as Brett Favre.

It is all about what the individual has accomplished when talking about who gets a pass and who doesn't.

I agree with this sentiment. I think that a big part of the reason why Dallas had a 'downfall' in '08 and Romo had his 'downfall' was the massive amount of praise they were getting for never winning anything.

I don't think it's a coincidence that this team started to rally this year when Steve Dennis told Wade and the world that he thought the Cowboys players were losers.

Now, I don't think we have to go anywhere near that far that Dennis did. That was ludicrous and in his case, very unprofessional. But, we have to understand that we can't expect the same treatment as bonafide winners in the league.

My feeling on the Favre interception is that I don't really have a problem with it. The play was designed for him to roll out right and find a WR on the sideline. That was taken away and he had no choice but to find another WR or force it, he saw Rice open, and threw it across his body and it got picked.

I actually have more of a problem with the playcall...something Garrett likes to do as well. For some reason NFL O-Coordinators on big downs like to roll the QB right and find a WR on the sideline. NFL defenses know this is coming by now and guard against it. When the defense guards against it, then the QB either has to force it to a WR on the sideline who is covered, or throw it across their body into the middle of the field.

Essentially, the play is designed to give the QB 2 looks at the most and if the defense can take away those 2 looks, there is no checkdown and the QB is screwed. Garrett got away from it this year, but I see so many NFL offenses screw their QB like that.

And no, I'm not a Favre fan by any stretch...especially after the garbage they pulled against Dallas. But, I can see why that INT was thrown and I think the playcall was the cause of that.

YAKUZA

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
JBond;3254629 said:
Well, going by the stats he is a great player and a horrible player. He does have that one ring. The 81 int's over his last 5 seasons is more indicative of his play than his post season success or lack of, in my opinion.

True.

But again, if Tony Romo had the same "skins" on the wall as Brett Favre, I don't think that most people on this board would believe his career was "overrated".

As a matter of fact, anyone who did claim he was overrated would be shouted down and should be.

brucekr

Reaction score
Pretty sure they rolled him out because it was 3rd down and they knew pressure was coming to force them out of FG range. It was a good call offensively, because it gave Favre plenty of time. Had he thrown it away or scrambled on his hobbled ankle for a couple of yards, the game is most likely over.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
jzcowboy;3254505 said:
I'm not even asking why he gets a pass on saying something like this, we all know that Lorenzo Favre will get a pass on all things negative. But just imagine if Romo or Phillips made this comment after a tough loss. They would be criticized for not giving their all. For not even knowing something as simple as down and distance.

For those that don't have an addiction to post game interviews like I do, this was Lord Favruh's answer to why he didn't run for a few yards instead of throwing across the field on the last Viking play in regulation.

Not to defend Favre, but I'm sure he knew at the time, sounds like he's saying that he doesn't know during the interview. He's saying, "I don't know" not "I didn't know".

Brian_C82

Reaction score
He wasn't talking about the down and distance. He was talking about getting in field goal range.

brucekr

Reaction score
Also, how did Favre not get called for unsportsmanlike conduct? Prior to the 12 men in the huddle, he started walking out of the huddle and called a timeout, which would have been back to back timeouts. It didn't look like the 12 men in the huddle had been called prior to him motioning for the timeout.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Ok this is where I see this

Most people are not arguing about if Favre is a great player or not ..... most people with any kind of Football IQ would agree that he is.

The problem that I think most people have is the media adoration of Favre .... which is more than any other single player (while he is still actively playing) than anyone I can ever remember. Especially considering the mediocre (in terms and comparison of the great QB's) success he has had.The only thing that comes close to it is the Drew Brees hype.

Favre is a great player ...... but the fact that he is put on such a pedestal by the media rubs people the wrong way.

Just my opinion.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Is there a link to the full PC where he says that? Cause the one on NFL.com isn't the full thing and all I heard him say about that play was that he probably should have ran it but he didn't know how far he'd have gotten.

The one they had there didn't show any part of it where he said he didn't know how far they had to go just that he didn't know how far he'd have gotten had he ran it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yakuza Rich;3254657 said:
I agree with this sentiment. I think that a big part of the reason why Dallas had a 'downfall' in '08 and Romo had his 'downfall' was the massive amount of praise they were getting for never winning anything.

I don't think it's a coincidence that this team started to rally this year when Steve Dennis told Wade and the world that he thought the Cowboys players were losers.

Now, I don't think we have to go anywhere near that far that Dennis did. That was ludicrous and in his case, very unprofessional. But, we have to understand that we can't expect the same treatment as bonafide winners in the league.

My feeling on the Favre interception is that I don't really have a problem with it. The play was designed for him to roll out right and find a WR on the sideline. That was taken away and he had no choice but to find another WR or force it, he saw Rice open, and threw it across his body and it got picked.

I actually have more of a problem with the playcall...something Garrett likes to do as well. For some reason NFL O-Coordinators on big downs like to roll the QB right and find a WR on the sideline. NFL defenses know this is coming by now and guard against it. When the defense guards against it, then the QB either has to force it to a WR on the sideline who is covered, or throw it across their body into the middle of the field.

Essentially, the play is designed to give the QB 2 looks at the most and if the defense can take away those 2 looks, there is no checkdown and the QB is screwed. Garrett got away from it this year, but I see so many NFL offenses screw their QB like that.

And no, I'm not a Favre fan by any stretch...especially after the garbage they pulled against Dallas. But, I can see why that INT was thrown and I think the playcall was the cause of that.

YAKUZA

There's no excuse for throwing that pass back across his body over the middle of the field. That was the prototypical gunslinger play that Favre makes enough of to have announcers praise his courage but which keep his teams ultimately out of the big game. You just can't take a chance like that in that situation. Especially when you can pickup yards to help your kicker just by running and sliding.

And there's nothing wrong with rolling out, especially with the kind of pressure the Saints were bringing. Yes, it limits your route options (unless you're Brett Favre or a rookie QB), but the routes you do get are difficult to cover, and it keeps your QB off the spot when teams are gunning for him.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3254513 said:
I just don't get this type of sentiment.

Folks, when you have a ton of skins on the wall, no matter what industry you are in, you will have some leeway and given a pass.

When Tony Romo becomes a 3-time MVP and a future Hall of Fame Player, you will see that he will get a pass as well and be just as revered as Brett Favre.

It is all about what the individual has accomplished when talking about who gets a pass and who doesn't.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score
Mediots were giving Brett Favre a pass and drooling over him for as long as I can remember him...maybe 1994 or 95. He was anointed long before he earned the MVPs and Pro Bowl appearances.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
zrinkill;3254695 said:

Most people are not arguing about if Favre is a great player or not ..... most people with any kind of Football IQ would agree that he is.

The problem that I think most people have is the media adoration of Favre .... which is more than any other single player (while he is still actively playing) than anyone I can ever remember. Especially considering the mediocre (in terms and comparison of the great QB's) success he has had.The only thing that comes close to it is the Drew Brees hype.

Favre is a great player ...... but the fact that he is put on such a pedestal by the media rubs people the wrong way.

Just my opinion.

This I can agree with.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
zrinkill;3254695 said:

Just my opinion.

Same with the Steelers. I respect them as a franchise, and what they have accomplished.

I just get sick of the media fawning over them all of the time whether they are good or not.

They had lost 5 in a row this year, and the media still thought they were great.

They are always viewed as a classy and noble organization even though they have had 6 or 7 arrests since 2006.

They always get a pass.

Plus their fans are obnoxious. :steelers:

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I don't get the controversy.

Wasn't he referring to the # of yards they needed for FG range?

They needed some yards. Sounds like a lot of sour grapes for last week to me.

visionary

Reaction score
zrinkill;3254695 said:

Just my opinion.

as juke would say...

"right on the nosey"