"I'm a PC"

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting ad, but it reeks of the old "I'm Michael Jordan" ad.

They pulled out the big guns to combat the mac vs pc ads.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Name recognition vs. producing/promoting a better product. Hmmmm......

IMO, of course. Let the geek wars begin!

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2273626 said:
everyone saying they're a PC means...what to me?

Means that people that own PCs arent just pasty suits like they are portrayed in the Mac/PC ads. The cool kids have PCs, too.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Faerluna;2273665 said:
Means that people that own PCs arent just pasty suits like they are portrayed in the Mac/PC ads. The cool kids have PCs, too.

I guess

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Faerluna;2273665 said:

...and you don't find it rather pathetic that Microsoft is attempting to defend its 'image' rather than its product? Apple is outsmarting BG on every level. IMO.

These commercials are weak sauce.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me, really. I can't see myself owning a Mac. Like ever.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
One celeb you won't see in this ad campaign...

don-imus.jpg

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
tomson75 said:
...and you don't find it rather pathetic that Microsoft is attempting to defend its 'image' rather than its product? Apple is outsmarting BG on every level. IMO.

No more pathetic than the entire Mac campaign being a hip image and showing that PC is all boring.

Fact is that I've never had a PC crash that wasn't my own fault. Mac is the same power for more money and less peripheral ability. Screw that, I can have a PC AND wear hoodies and watch Garden State. Best of both worlds.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tomson75;2273754 said:

:laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1:

BG always has, and always will outsmart Apple.

Bill makes software, not computers like apple.

There is even MS software for apple.

A minority of people use mac computers.

A Majority of people use some form of MS software.

Apple in no way, shape or Form owns BG.

:laugh2:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal;2274180 said:
No more pathetic than the entire Mac campaign being a hip image and showing that PC is all boring.

Fact is that I've never had a PC crash that wasn't my own fault. Mac is the same power for more money and less peripheral ability. Screw that, I can have a PC AND wear hoodies and watch Garden State. Best of both worlds.

Best thing about a PC is that you can have literally thousands if not millions of options you can choose to install on it. Different mobos, sound cards, video cards, hard drives, cd, dvd, floppy, card drives. Styles of cases, CPUs, CPU cooling systems and so on and so on not to mention the software available for it.

Apple...you have nowhere near the options as you do with a PC.

And again...MS does software and some hard ware stuff.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt;2274182 said:

:signmast: What BP said.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
tomson75;2273754 said:

Wait...Apple makes an entire ad campaign about being the hipster image, and it's effective, but if MS does it, it's not?

I agree it could be reinforced by smoething like (said by a hipster looking person), "I'm a PC because [insert techie-friendly feature of Windows]." Double whammy.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Crown Royal;2274180 said:

Apple pointed out factual points about their computers...what, pray tell, has microsoft countered with other than 'image'?

The fact that you think of the Mac commercials as 'hip' imagery is without any bearing whatsoever.

PC's crash far more often than Macs...the fault isn't the point. Make a more user friendly product. Not everyone knows how to use computers like you might.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2274182 said:

...and none of this means that it is a better product. Apple makes software too...and for the layman, its a far better product.

The majority of people are forced to use some sort of MS software because of it's predominance. There are still some things that Apple software hasn't caught up on. Still, none of that means that MS is a better product.

...and I never said Apple 'owned' PC. I said they've outsmarted them. Fact is, MS has a far greater share of the computing world. It's completely unreasonable to think that Apple would flip flop with MS overnight....and I hope they never do.

...but I regress. Back to the original topic. How does this counter-campaign better the Apple campaign? I don't see it.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
theogt;2274193 said:
Wait...Apple makes an entire ad campaign about being the hipster image, and it's effective, but if MS does it, it's not?

I agree it could be reinforced by smoething like (said by a hipster looking person), "I'm a PC because [insert techie-friendly feature of Windows]." Double whammy.

Apple used that image effectively I suppose, but they included some actual content. MS has failed to do that as of yet.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2274187 said:
Best thing about a PC is that you can have literally thousands if not millions of options you can choose to install on it. Different mobos, sound cards, video cards, hard drives, cd, dvd, floppy, card drives. Styles of cases, CPUs, CPU cooling systems and so on and so on not to mention the software available for it.

Apple...you have nowhere near the options as you do with a PC.

And again...MS does software and some hard ware stuff.

the mac used to be a very propriatary machine. motorola proc, and everything built for the mac. it was truly a unique system. a mac now is a pc with a MAC OS on it, nothing more.

look at a nice mac and look at a nice pc. you'll see ATI, NVidia, SATA, same type of RAM and so on and so forth. what's different? the OS.

people who want to be a mac-fanatic, have fun. it *is* a good machine. but it's pricey and the extra cost is mostly for the "i'm not microsoft" which is usually it's biggest strength. they have a nitch market in the computing world and know it.

however, they own the entertainment world with i-tunes.

these commercials are a lot better than the seinfield commercials, period. just everyday people using a PC for everyday things.

people want to say a mac is far better for audio and graphic editing.

wrong.

again, look at the chipsets for either machine. same thing.

you'll have problems with either machine eventually. they're computers, not a toaster. just pick the one you like that works for you and run with it. why people make a computer personal i don't think i'll ever get.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
iceberg;2274258 said:
the mac used to be a very propriatary machine. motorola proc, and everything built for the mac. it was truly a unique system. a mac now is a pc with a MAC OS on it, nothing more.

look at a nice mac and look at a nice pc. you'll see ATI, NVidia, SATA, same type of RAM and so on and so forth. what's different? the OS.

people who want to be a mac-fanatic, have fun. it *is* a good machine. but it's pricey and the extra cost is mostly for the "i'm not microsoft" which is usually it's biggest strength. they have a nitch market in the computing world and know it.

however, they own the entertainment world with i-tunes.

these commercials are a lot better than the seinfield commercials, period. just everyday people using a PC for everyday things.

people want to say a mac is far better for audio and graphic editing.

wrong.

again, look at the chipsets for either machine. same thing.

you'll have problems with either machine eventually. they're computers, not a toaster. just pick the one you like that works for you and run with it. why people make a computer personal i don't think i'll ever get.

A lot of truth to this. Mac has adopted many 'pc' tools. If the difference is in the OS, then IMO Apple Wins hands down.

I guess that has to be the case, as MS doesnt' make computers.

Doesn't change the fact that MS is using the PC market to sell his OS...which many consider an inferior product.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
tomson75;2274212 said:
Apple pointed out factual points about their computers...what, pray tell, has microsoft countered with other than 'image'?

The fact that you think of the Mac commercials as 'hip' imagery is without any bearing whatsoever.

PC's crash far more often than Macs...the fault isn't the point. Make a more user friendly product. Not everyone knows how to use computers like you might.

what factual errors did mac point out?

here's the list of features from mac on their OSX
1. desktop. yea, they call the desktop a feature. both have it.
2. finder - an ability to browse your files with a pic to show you that file. both have it.
3. time machine. aka, automatic backup. and now you can go back and recover a system setting from awhile back? XP had that. next.
4. e-mail. ok, e-mail is a feature now? MS has outlook, outlook express, windows mail - that's such a gimme it's a waste to call it a feature of an OS. hope they don't get tagged for bundling.
5. ichat - instant messenger.
6. spaces. a way to group your windows. not sure what i see new here.
7. safari - a webbrowser included in the OS? THE HORROR!!! win95 anyone? 13 years isn't too far behind and MS had to deal with janet reno about even putting on IN the OS - now it's a feature?
8. parental controls. this is kinda cool. you can setup profiles in XP/Vista but not that easy.
9. boot camp - run windows on your mac. ok, just get a PC and run windows.
and finally the last one i'll bring up - remote terminal services.

been there, done that. win98 and on could do that.

so, let's talk features if you want to talk features. be specific and not just apple said they have some.