"I'm a PC"

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
tomson75;2274281 said:
A lot of truth to this. Mac has adopted many 'pc' tools. If the difference is in the OS, then IMO Apple Wins hands down.

I guess that has to be the case, as MS doesnt' make computers.

Doesn't change the fact that MS is using the PC market to sell his OS...which many consider an inferior product.

they tried to use an IBM selectric typewriter but they couldn't find the floppy drive. not sure what your point is here but this is a pretty silly analogy and sounds more like an apple fan than just being objective. they designed an OS for the PC and that's what they'll market.

what is MAC putting their OS on? it ain't a mac, just a glorified gateway, dude.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
tomson75;2274223 said:
Apple used that image effectively I suppose, but they included some actual content. MS has failed to do that as of yet.

again, what content? they gloss over features and hope you won't look up that XP/Vista have most if not all of those features also.

apple's mistake is they're making the PC guy too likable now. "i'm a pizza - eat me!" cracks me up.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
iceberg;2274307 said:
again, what content? they gloss over features and hope you won't look up that XP/Vista have most if not all of those features also.

apple's mistake is they're making the PC guy too likable now. "i'm a pizza - eat me!" cracks me up.

Did Apple not address that they were even talking about computers in their ads? Did they not question the ability of MS's new OS to do what was advertised?

Look, I'm not going to get in this conversation with a bunch of computer geeks. I'll lose. You win. I guess the fact that Apple has continually gained favor amongst consumers isn't going to be considered. Is it because of their superior 'hipster' add campaign that MS has now attempted to mimc? Is it because of a better product.

You decide for yourself as I did. When I have a PC and it last 2 years before it slows to a crawl and then finally dies...then by an Apple that proceeds to last 8 years before I even have to check my back-up files. I'll gladly pay the extra loot for the extended service and peace of mind. It's a no-brainer for me. Perhaps not for those that know computers better than myself.

I'll just leave it at this. These commercials suck. Very artsy though.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
The message I always got from the "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" commercials was that if you wanted to do serious work, you got a PC, and if you wanted to goof around and have fun, you got a Mac.

I just figured I wasn't the target audience for the Mac commercials since I'm looking for a computer that is useful in a business environment (you know, where people wear suits). :D

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
tomson75;2274332 said:
Did Apple not address that they were even talking about computers in their ads? Did they not question the ability of MS's new OS to do what was advertised?

Look, I'm not going to get in this conversation with a bunch of computer geeks. I'll lose. You win. I guess the fact that Apple has continually gained favor amongst consumers isn't going to be considered. Is it because of their superior 'hipster' add campaign that MS has now attempted to mimc? Is it because of a better product.

You decide for yourself as I did. When I have a PC and it last 2 years before it slows to a crawl and then finally dies...then by an Apple that proceeds to last 8 years before I even have to check my back-up files. I'll gladly pay the extra loot for the extended service and peace of mind. It's a no-brainer for me. Perhaps not for those that know computers better than myself.

I'll just leave it at this. These commercials suck. Very artsy though.

so you tout that mac talks about features and when i ask about what features point by point, you run off to some fictional point of reference and dodge any point at all YOU said apple made.

you're right. you lose. but on the flip side, nothing to win here. if you prefer the mac, great. but there isn't much if anything it can do the PC can't do cheaper. i'll also doubt you have had the same mac for the last 8 years and a PC for 2 years to run that comparison.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
iceberg;2274353 said:
so you tout that mac talks about features and when i ask about what features point by point, you run off to some fictional point of reference and dodge any point at all YOU said apple made.

you're right. you lose. but on the flip side, nothing to win here.

What? Do you really expect me to list the features Apple touted in their commercials? Can you not recall or concede that they at least talked about the differences in their computers or operating systems? Not sure I care to play such a stupid game if that's the case.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
tomson75;2274367 said:
What? Do you really expect me to list the features Apple touted in their commercials? Can you not recall or concede that they at least talked about the differences in their computers or operating systems? Not sure I care to play such a stupid game if that's the case.

yes, i can. and the PC did each and every one of them, many years before. ON A WINDOWS SYSTEM.

what, you run off at the mouth then not back it up often? they talked about what a mac did, not what a PC can't do. i heard them say one they can now remote desktop into another MAC.

pc's have been doing that for a decade. you can now run virtual servers on 1 PC. (just have a lot of ram) so just because they say "this is what the apple can do" does NOT mean the PC can't do it now does it?

so please, tell me this "differences" of which you speak and be specific or just be as vague as mac was (because i do like those commercials but i know enough to see what's fluff, and it's the whole commercial cause XP/Vista do all that and more - i'm looking for what a mac does a windows based pc won't do)

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
iceberg;2274390 said:
yes, i can. and the PC did each and every one of them, many years before. ON A WINDOWS SYSTEM.

what, you run off at the mouth then not back it up often? they talked about what a mac did, not what a PC can't do. i heard them say one they can now remote desktop into another MAC.

pc's have been doing that for a decade. you can now run virtual servers on 1 PC. (just have a lot of ram) so just because they say "this is what the apple can do" does NOT mean the PC can't do it now does it?

so please, tell me this "differences" of which you speak and be specific or just be as vague as mac was (because i do like those commercials but i know enough to see what's fluff, and it's the whole commercial cause XP/Vista do all that and more - i'm looking for what a mac does a windows based pc won't do)

Oh my...you are really worked up over this. Maybe your super PC can help. You'd think that if they'd been doing it for decades, they'd be able to make an operating system that works properly. Oh well.

PC user = wadded panties guy = you

Mac user = could care less = me

Guess they were right after all.

Back to the original topic...these commercials still suck, and address nothing.

Now if you'll excuse me, Mr. Iceman, I'm going to watch a Cowboys game.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
tomson75;2274408 said:
Oh my...you are really worked up over this. Maybe your super PC can help. You'd think that if they'd been doing it for decades, they'd be able to make an operating system that works properly. Oh well.

PC user = wadded panties guy = you

Mac user = could care less = me

Guess they were right after all.

Back to the original topic...these commercials still suck, and address nothing.

Now if you'll excuse me, Mr. Iceman, I'm going to watch a Cowboys game.

so you can't name a single thing at all and you now get all mad and do the "panties" comment. and you must care, you're still here. still saying how the mac commercial had points that it did things the pc could not do, but you can't name a one.

you're right.

you lose.

[iceberg.ini]
ignore=+1

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
iceberg;2274417 said:
so you can't name a single thing at all and you now get all mad and do the "panties" comment. and you must care, you're still here. still saying how the mac commercial had points that it did things the pc could not do, but you can't name a one.

you're right.

you lose.

[iceberg.ini]
ignore=+1

Awwww...that's just sad.

ThaBigP

Reaction score
tomson75;2274281 said:
A lot of truth to this. Mac has adopted many 'pc' tools. If the difference is in the OS, then IMO Apple Wins hands down.

I guess that has to be the case, as MS doesnt' make computers.

Doesn't change the fact that MS is using the PC market to sell his OS...which many consider an inferior product.

You realize, don't you, that Apple is also using PCs to sell their computers? Aside from the case and a proprietary ROM chip (only to prevent you from installing OS X on a non-Mac, it has no other function) it's all PC hardware? Xeon CPUs, ATI/Nvidia video cards, etc etc. They still keep it closed house so you have to spend $500 for their upgrade that on the open market goes for about $100, but to each their own. The ignorance among many Mac users in regards to the real nuts-and-bolts of computers is staggering. I've seen batted about that you *MUST* use a "Mac" hard drive for compatibility. Never mind that Apple opens a Seagate hard drive they paid $115 for, and resells it for $300 on their website or the Apple Store. You MUST apparently use THAT one. For some reason.

For the record, I use both PC and Mac at work as a video editor/motion graphics artist. And....the PowerMac crashes more often than the PC does - not by much mind you, but it's a little ahead of the curve there. Also, most of the crashes on the Mac are *HARD* - requiring a hard restart and lost work if I hadn't saved in a while. I can usually bail out of the locking app on a PC (not always though). It happens, especially with processor intensive applications like Final Cut Pro (Mac) or Premier (PC) or especially After Effects (both)

rantanamo

Reaction score
tomson75;2274212 said:
Apple pointed out factual points about their computers...what, pray tell, has microsoft countered with other than 'image'?

The fact that you think of the Mac commercials as 'hip' imagery is without any bearing whatsoever.

PC's crash far more often than Macs...the fault isn't the point. Make a more user friendly product. Not everyone knows how to use computers like you might.

There was nothing but fudged information in those ads. Some just not true. Basically the ads just said, cool people use us, we'll play up what we have, whether its on a PC or not. They were funny at first, then just seemed like a bunch of "I have this" and run ads. In the meantime, their sales still suck, and Apple has moved more and more away from them.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2275343 said:
these marketing guys at Microsoft are ****ing geniuses

this is my office

LAME!

so what kind of commercial would you write? not being a smarthiney here, really. i'm just curious what you'd do.

i think it should be very visual and maybe going in and out of things you can do on a PC morphing into life and back into a PC. show a connection between the two in cool ways and apps inside of windows or microsoft.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg;2275502 said:
so what kind of commercial would you write? not being a smarthiney here, really. i'm just curious what you'd do.

i think it should be very visual and maybe going in and out of things you can do on a PC morphing into life and back into a PC. show a connection between the two in cool ways and apps inside of windows or microsoft.

I'm just saying that the, "fun job, where you don't have a real office", approach has been played to death already in commercials

idk what I would come up w/, the Apple commercials are pure genius, I think it's going to be hard, if not impossible, to top those

making fun of the guy who's making fun of you isn't helping anything either

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
ThaBigP;2274698 said:
You realize, don't you, that Apple is also using PCs to sell their computers? Aside from the case and a proprietary ROM chip (only to prevent you from installing OS X on a non-Mac, it has no other function) it's all PC hardware? Xeon CPUs, ATI/Nvidia video cards, etc etc. They still keep it closed house so you have to spend $500 for their upgrade that on the open market goes for about $100, but to each their own. The ignorance among many Mac users in regards to the real nuts-and-bolts of computers is staggering. I've seen batted about that you *MUST* use a "Mac" hard drive for compatibility. Never mind that Apple opens a Seagate hard drive they paid $115 for, and resells it for $300 on their website or the Apple Store. You MUST apparently use THAT one. For some reason.

For the record, I use both PC and Mac at work as a video editor/motion graphics artist. And....the PowerMac crashes more often than the PC does - not by much mind you, but it's a little ahead of the curve there. Also, most of the crashes on the Mac are *HARD* - requiring a hard restart and lost work if I hadn't saved in a while. I can usually bail out of the locking app on a PC (not always though). It happens, especially with processor intensive applications like Final Cut Pro (Mac) or Premier (PC) or especially After Effects (both)

who ever argued that you have to use "apples" stuff from their stores or online is stupid behond belief. I go to best buy and buy hdd for my mac and plug em in. my wireless keyboard and mouse box said "for windows XP" not a word about a mac...plug'd it in and played right away.

simplest way to fix both of the crashes for your mac and win is to add more memory. My Mac Pro only has 1 gig and runs cs3 suit with ease.

freakin dirt DIRT cheap memory: http://www.memoryamerica.com/

or http://www.crucial.com/

both are for mac's and pc's

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Look at you folks debating PC and Mac. There is no debate. At the end of the day it is about BUSINESS. The BUSINESS = Enterprise.

Enterprise = Baggillions of dollars. The data centers and corporations around the planet do not have multi million dollar contracts w/ MS and Dell/HP/IBM for nothing.

Fine Macs are hip - My kid loves a Mac

PC's are business and high end performance applications/software/gameing

Apple has it's little nitch market. It however will never be the hardware/software behind fortune 500 corporations.

End of Story.

BG wins/MS Wins and Jobs probably needs to eat more and go outside. The man looks like he is about to die.

ThaBigP

Reaction score
the kid 05;2275819 said:
who ever argued that you have to use "apples" stuff from their stores or online is stupid behond belief. I go to best buy and buy hdd for my mac and plug em in. my wireless keyboard and mouse box said "for windows XP" not a word about a mac...plug'd it in and played right away.

simplest way to fix both of the crashes for your mac and win is to add more memory. My Mac Pro only has 1 gig and runs cs3 suit with ease.

freakin dirt DIRT cheap memory: http://www.memoryamerica.com/

or http://www.crucial.com/

both are for mac's and pc's

How right you are. I was merely lamenting what I hear from the "typical" mac enthusiast, and there are always exceptions. I suspect many of "them" switched exclusively to Macs around the Windows 3.1 days, and in their mind Microsoft's product has been frozen in time since then. That's how they could watch a commercial touting a desktop and the ability to send e-mail as "features" and presume that Windows cannot perform such Hurculean tasks. I also suspect that's why so many of them aren't aware that there aren't "special" hard drives or "special" memory for Macs either. And don't get me wrong - I do like the PowerMac I use at work. It's an 8 core beast with 4 gigs of ram. Final Cut Studio... pretty slick. Their OS is nice too. But so is XP. I haven't made the leap to Vista yet - haven't seen the need to so far. I also love the Adobe Production Premium Suite CS3 for the PC, although that's not a Microsoft product per se, just runs on one. :cool:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I went form PC-to-Mac and will never look back.

There is nothing that Windows has that I want and cannot get on my mac.

Throw in the fact that Apple actually has a reasonably priced service plan, I don't see myself ever going back to a PC.