"I'm a PC"

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
ThaBigP;2277345 said:
How right you are. I was merely lamenting what I hear from the "typical" mac enthusiast, and there are always exceptions. I suspect many of "them" switched exclusively to Macs around the Windows 3.1 days, and in their mind Microsoft's product has been frozen in time since then. That's how they could watch a commercial touting a desktop and the ability to send e-mail as "features" and presume that Windows cannot perform such Hurculean tasks. I also suspect that's why so many of them aren't aware that there aren't "special" hard drives or "special" memory for Macs either. And don't get me wrong - I do like the PowerMac I use at work. It's an 8 core beast with 4 gigs of ram. Final Cut Studio... pretty slick. Their OS is nice too. But so is XP. I haven't made the leap to Vista yet - haven't seen the need to so far. I also love the Adobe Production Premium Suite CS3 for the PC, although that's not a Microsoft product per se, just runs on one. :cool:

The good old days when you had to know something to make a computer work not just put a cd in and let it do all the work for you. :D

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister;2277802 said:
The good old days when you had to know something to make a computer work not just put a cd in and let it do all the work for you. :D

I remember when I first started at my current job.

We had computers that were just monitors and keyboards at work stations and they all hooked into one server.

It was all unix and we had this tape drive that was about the size of a washer or dryer with those huge reel tapes that were always a pain to load and get to save to because a speck of dust would screw them up.

Where everything had to be moved in directories and you had no GUI or a mouse and you had to use commands for everything.

Ahh...those were the days.:laugh2:

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2277895 said:
I remember when I first started at my current job.

We had computers that were just monitors and keyboards at work stations and they all hooked into one server.

It was all unix and we had this tape drive that was about the size of a washer or dryer with those huge reel tapes that were always a pain to load and get to save to because a speck of dust would screw them up.

Where everything had to be moved in directories and you had no GUI or a mouse and you had to use commands for everything.

Ahh...those were the days.:laugh2:

:cry: Ahh yes the good old days

When I first started my current job in 96 we were still using DOS, Lotus 123, and Word Perfect. We quickly changed. :laugh2:

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
ThaBigP;2274698 said:
For the record, I use both PC and Mac at work as a video editor/motion graphics artist. And....the PowerMac crashes more often than the PC does - not by much mind you, but it's a little ahead of the curve there. Also, most of the crashes on the Mac are *HARD* - requiring a hard restart and lost work if I hadn't saved in a while. I can usually bail out of the locking app on a PC (not always though). It happens, especially with processor intensive applications like Final Cut Pro (Mac) or Premier (PC) or especially After Effects (both)

PowerMac? Tell me you're not using 10 year old technology and this is just a typo... :laugh2:

All in all, computers suck. They're still a nascent technology in the grand scheme of doing business and we're just the proving ground, suffering through the pains of infancy. Our grand kid's will be laughing at us.

I'd rather be painting on canvas, but alas an impatient world has foisted this as the new model of doing business on us, so I'm stuck with what the tide brings.

I use Mac exclusively for work, after realizing that Windows boxes are not for me, but that said, I can spend just as much time cursing my Mac as I could a PC, while not actually working. Over 10 years of experience with these things and still not in a stable relationship of trust.

Potential Employer: So where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Me: Staring at a spinning beach ball (that's a Mac thing), muttering obscenities wondering why I can't just do my work.

I've never had a canvas crash, or a brush freeze up. Never had to call some dude in India to get my paints up and running properly.

I can enumerate all of the silliness I've gone through with Windows too, as a web designer and owner but in the end, I guess it's what works for you. Ask most honest IT guys and they'll tell you they both suck and would rather be working in Linux.

That said, this commercial campaign is lame. Apple has a lot of ground to cover in terms of garnering more of the market percentage, but they have good momentum going with their toys.

ThaBigP

Reaction score
vta;2278420 said:
PowerMac? Tell me you're not using 10 year old technology and this is just a typo... :laugh2:

All in all, computers suck. They're still a nascent technology in the grand scheme of doing business and we're just the proving ground, suffering through the pains of infancy. Our grand kid's will be laughing at us.

I'd rather be painting on canvas, but alas an impatient world has foisted this as the new model of doing business on us, so I'm stuck with what the tide brings.

I use Mac exclusively for work, after realizing that Windows boxes are not for me, but that said, I can spend just as much time cursing my Mac as I could a PC, while not actually working. Over 10 years of experience with these things and still not in a stable relationship of trust.

Potential Employer: So where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Me: Staring at a spinning beach ball (that's a Mac thing), muttering obscenities wondering why I can't just do my work.

I've never had a canvas crash, or a brush freeze up. Never had to call some dude in India to get my paints up and running properly.

I can enumerate all of the silliness I've gone through with Windows too, as a web designer and owner but in the end, I guess it's what works for you. Ask most honest IT guys and they'll tell you they both suck and would rather be working in Linux.

That said, this commercial campaign is lame. Apple has a lot of ground to cover in terms of garnering more of the market percentage, but they have good momentum going with their toys.

Oops - yeah, I reached back for a decades-old term. They're MacPros. Sorry. And the notebooks are MacBook Pros. While I use them, I don't much keep up with the names Apple uses for them. We got a load of 'em a few months ago to replace the G5s we were running.

Brandon

Benched
Reaction score
Mac is a ****ing joke, I've had my Vista for over 9 months and it still hasn't crash. Apple will always be second to Microsoft, they need to get over it, especially with those stupid ads.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
ThaBigP;2279858 said:
Oops - yeah, I reached back for a decades-old term. They're MacPros. Sorry. And the notebooks are MacBook Pros. While I use them, I don't much keep up with the names Apple uses for them. We got a load of 'em a few months ago to replace the G5s we were running.

i knew what ya ment. my brother calls my mac pro a G5 still and calls his ibook a macbook hes weird lol

gambit187

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2273282 said:
Interesting ad, but it reeks of the old "I'm Michael Jordan" ad.

They pulled out the big guns to combat the mac vs pc ads.

You know what I seen it 2 times on the third time is was friday and i was high. It made me really think.

MAC, with my man Justin Long, has been potraying PC as corporate, stuck up, rigid..............while potraying themselves as cool, hip, now and happening. Almost like you are not cool and hip unless you have a MAC. Thats BS and has played in alot of peoples head. Here is a prime example.

I was in Union Station at Amtrak talking to this guy who was doing some work on his MAC, and i was adding tracks to a video. He asked me what I did, I said "Subcontracts Admin", then he said oh "you must love excel and word", then i told him "yeah they also help keep my own business straight"

Then he asked me what my side business was and when I told him I own and operate a couple of adult websites our conversation went from uptight to cool and relaxed. I was dressed in suit going to NY for business, so maybe he viewed me as a suit wearing, rigid corporate dude that had a PC.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Apple has and always will be inferior. Don't believe the hype. Now go polish your iPhone.