"INDIANA JONES & THE KINDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL" - Review

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I heard that alot of critics gave it a bad review, but even then, alot of them wanted to love it because of the past trilogies

Kevinicus

Reaction score
FloridaRob;2091878 said:
Saw it this afternoon. We picked up the grandson from school and we went right to the theatre.

First thoughts-During the first hour of the movie, I was thinking Oh No! This is way beyond cheezy. I have watched Indy I and III the past couple of weeks and was excited to get to see this one. During the first hour I was thinking Harrison Ford is really looking weatherd, Karen Allen has not gotten better with age, Cate Blanchettes Russian accent was almost funny, this Mutt character was just annoying and the action after the first few minutes was lacking. But the last hour was fantastic. The action sequences were just super and took on the characteristics of Indy I and III. When it was all said and done, it was a good fun INdiana Jones movie. While it lacked the depth of Raiders and The Last Crusade, the action in the last hour of this one made the movie enjoyable. I don't know that I would enjoy it as much watching it on a small screen. Made for the big screen.

Wife enjoyed it, Grandson enjoyed it, and I enjoyed it. Three thumbs up!!!

Funny, like American Idol we almost saw things completely the opposite. The first hour I thought was great and just what an Indiana Jones movie should be. Then the whole monkey scene showed it's ugly face (seriously one of the worst moments in film history), and everything went downhill from there. The 2nd half wasn't half as good as the first.

Overall the film was really fun, but there were some WAY WAY over the top scenes that are pretty jarring, especially in the 2nd half.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;2092023 said:
Funny, like American Idol we almost saw things completely the opposite. The first hour I thought was great and just what an Indiana Jones movie should be. Then the whole monkey scene showed it's ugly face (seriously one of the worst moments in film history), and everything went downhill from there. The 2nd half wasn't half as good as the first.

Overall the film was really fun, but there were some WAY WAY over the top scenes that are pretty jarring, especially in the 2nd half.

we both came to the same conclusion but for different reasons. I do agree, the monkey scene was over the top. But my 6 yr old grandson loved it. I liked the story but I don't like films that have to tell me the story while I am watching it. And in this movie, I felt they were have to tell a lot more of the story than in the INdy I and INdy III movies. Usually I hate movies wtih car chase scenes and this one had a couple of long ones but for most part, they were at least fun.

Mash

Reaction score
I went to it last nite....

I think I was just expecting too much....enjoyed the past others alot.

Just found it too cheesy I guess....something was missing....It was fun I guess...but I dont plan on seeing it ever again.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
This movie sucked.

It was cheesy from the beginning with the prairie dog (a Lucas touch I'm sure) right through the ridiculous monkey scene till the awful ending.

Nineteen years and this is the best that they could come up with?

Atrocious.

Indiana Jones just jumped the shark.

jem88

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;2092023 said:

Completely agree.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
I saw it at a press screening and at this one, no one outside of press was allowed in except their guests (we got to bring 3 others).

So for those of y'all who saw it at the theater this weekend, was it packed? And what was the "buzz" in the theater?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I think alot of us probably expected too much, but it was still a good movie

it could have been better (to me, they could have done alot more with the story as it seemed to be a tailor made subject matter) but it was good...I went to a late afternoon showing yesterday and it was on multiple screens, and my screenroom was probably 3/4 full

I suspected after the ending we'd see more, and I read today there are two more new Indy's coming out and it wont be far down the road apparently

David

FloridaRob

Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan;2093687 said:
I saw it at a press screening and at this one, no one outside of press was allowed in except their guests (we got to bring 3 others).

So for those of y'all who saw it at the theater this weekend, was it packed? And what was the "buzz" in the theater?

I saw it at 3:45 on a school day and there were probably 45 people in a 250 person theatre. I would imagine the weekend crowds have been good. Our local theatre had it on 11 of 18 theatres.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;2092635 said:
This movie sucked.

It was cheesy from the beginning with the prairie dog (a Lucas touch I'm sure) right through the ridiculous monkey scene till the awful ending.

Nineteen years and this is the best that they could come up with?

Atrocious.

Indiana Jones just jumped the shark.

I havent seen it yet...

Its funny though... I did not see 1, 2 or 3 until they were on cable.... I think #3 was the best of the bunch so far.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
YoMick;2093728 said:
I havent seen it yet...

Its funny though... I did not see 1, 2 or 3 until they were on cable.... I think #3 was the best of the bunch so far.

If you didn't see them in a theater then you missed out...they are made to be seen in a theater.

Raiders was the best...no question...But Last Crusade was very good.

Temple of Doom was WAY down the ladder compared to those two.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull I will treat as I do the last three Star Wars Films...as if they didn't exist...because they don't deserve to be on the same level.

DallasFanSince86

Pessimism Sucks
Reaction score
I enjoyed this movie. I ended up in the Director's Hall (only one that had a showing coming up when I got there, cost $2 more than a regular ticket, but got to see the movie on a bigger screen; IMAX I believe) and there were about 20-25 people in there. The movie was screened in 4 regular theaters and then the Director's Hall.

Aikbach

Reaction score
My review:

It has been nineteen years since we last saw America's favorite archaeologist/ action hero swashbuckle his way past matinée villains in search of high adventure; he returns with much hype but with a disappointingly flat delivery.

From the anti-climactic opening that makes us groan with the revelation that space aliens are being mixed with our favorite escapist fanfare and the more than campy and improbable execution of Indy's survival from a nuclear blast; we get the sense very quickly that the magic the original series possessed is not present outside of the 1980s installments.

The year is 1957 and a haggard old fart has replaced the once ruggedly handsome Harrison Ford, now more grizzled than witty. He is vaguely linked to the Red Scare and prohibited from teaching at his university, thus on his way to literally catch a train out of town he runs into a young motorcycle driving smart mouth named "Mutt" (played by Shia LeBeouf), who wets his appetite for a romp through the Amazon in search of a mythical mcguffin called a crystal skull.

Along the way the Soviets get nasty, and an old flame in Marion Ravenwood (played by Karen Allen), whom we last saw in "Raiders of the Lost Ark", joins the fun. We learn that their former romance produced the young "Mutt" that drug them out into the jungle.

After many less than harrowing CGI escapes and encounters with monkeys, snakes and ants they learn that the treasure they seek is alien knowledge and a giant flying saucer emerges from the Amazon and takes off. Indy returns home and marries the girl and we leave the theater bitter.

As far as content is concerned there is no nudity but there is some unnecessary profanity and the fact that Hollywood decided to give Indy an out of wedlock son.

The series ended brilliantly in 1989 as "Last Crusade" literally rode off into the sunset at the credits; this installment is the equivalent of a politician delivering the speech of his life and then leaving his mic on as he enters the bathroom, thus instead of remembering the greatness of his performance we are left with the memory of his time in the stall; I give you "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" ladies and gentlemen, the cinematic equivalent of the before described event.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In my wildest dreams, I never thought that a George Lucas/Steven Spielberg collaboration (sp?) could get anything wrong. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

Had zero problems with Harrison Ford, with the sole exception of the refrigerator scene. Please. That was taking the legend a little too far. Indy should be dead.

Karen Allen was a very nice surprise. I have followed some of her career since Raiders, so her physical appearance didn't shocked me as much as some in the audience around me. Time is what it is.

They could have kept the actor goofballing as the greedy double agent. He practically slept walked through the whole movie.

Cate Blanchett wasn't too bad. Then again, I'm biased because I like her in just about anything.

John Hurt tried. He really did, but what did they REALLY give him to work with?

Did Shia Labeouf perpare for the role by studying James Dean in Rebel Without A Cause? His performance was fine enough without the contrite stopping to comb his hair. At one point, I thought he would face the camera and say, "AAAAA!"

The Ark of the Covenant cameo was a classic that warmed my heart. So was the waterfall scene, which was setup up by Hurt's best line in the whole movie. For me, the verbal fights between Ford and Allen were high points of the movie. After the biblical and mystical themes of the first three films, the extra-terrestrial theme of this one was a pleasant departure.

Who doesn't think that Spielberg had the final say on what the owner of the Crystal Skull really looked like? :)

I may still buy this installment to complete my Indy collection, but I may not. It just doesn't do for me what the previous three did. Not even close.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
DallasEast;2094123 said:
In my wildest dreams, I never thought that a George Lucas/Steven Spielberg collaboration (sp?) could get anything wrong. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

Had zero problems with Harrison Ford, with the sole exception of the refrigerator scene. Please. That was taking the legend a little too far. Indy should be dead.

Karen Allen was a very nice surprise. I have followed some of her career since Raiders, so her physical appearance didn't shocked me as much as some in the audience around me. Time is what it is.

They could have kept the actor goofballing as the greedy double agent. He practically slept walked through the whole movie.

Cate Blanchett wasn't too bad. Then again, I'm biased because I like her in just about anything.

John Hurt tried. He really did, but what did they REALLY give him to work with?

Did Shia Labeouf perpare for the role by studying James Dean in Rebel Without A Cause? His performance was fine enough without the contrite stopping to comb his hair. At one point, I thought he would face the camera and say, "AAAAA!"

The Ark of the Covenant cameo was a classic that warmed my heart. So was the waterfall scene, which was setup up by Hurt's best line in the whole movie. For me, the verbal fights between Ford and Allen were high points of the movie. After the biblical and mystical themes of the first three films, the extra-terrestrial theme of this one was a pleasant departure.

Who doesn't think that Spielberg had the final say on what the owner of the Crystal Skull really looked like? :)

I may still buy this installment to complete my Indy collection, but I may not. It just doesn't do for me what the previous three did. Not even close.

I thought the waterfall scene was one of the worst in the movie. As well as the tree bit immediately before it, and of course the Monkey scene not long before that. It was a string of lameness only separated by a not TOO bad ant scene.

But yes, Rebel without a cause was one of 4 movies they gave Shia to study. Another one was one with Brando, I forget what it was called.