"It's not you, it's me", What the hell does that mean?

CowboyMark

Reaction score
My girl just broke up with me a few days ago and gave me that line. I've heard it on tv and by some friends, but never by my girl. I'm not going into detail but bottom line "It's not you it's me", I'm mad and sas at the same time. I just want to know what that means. 14 months gone down the drain.

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news,but,it usually means they found or they're looking for someone new.I've used that line at least once or twice before.It's also been used on me once.same result.someone new.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
14 months? You can't be very old.

Trust me, in a few years you'll look back on those 14 months and you'll think "Dang, I wasn't with that girl very long".

Reaction score
"It's not you, it's me", What the hell does that mean?

Means you'll be pouring beer on your right hand to have something drunk to take home on Sat nights for awhile, then you move on.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
CowboyMark said:
My girl just broke up with me a few days ago and gave me that line. I've heard it on tv and by some friends, but never by my girl. I'm not going into detail but bottom line "It's not you it's me", I'm mad and sas at the same time. I just want to know what that means. 14 months gone down the drain.

Trust me on this gather all her pictures letters etc grab a few beers and burn the crap and move on that means she was not the right one better to find out now then get married and find out later.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
I think it means she watched a Seinfeld re-run.

Now, she will one day end up in your "Not very nice" Hall of Fame for breaking up with you so close to Valentine's Day.

There are rules about this stuff. No break ups within two weeks of an anniversary, birthday, Christmas, and Valentine's Day....or the same week as a Cowboy loss.

Seriously, it also means that she actually does care for ya and in a lame sorta way, is taking the blame.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack said:
14 months? You can't be very old.

Trust me, in a few years you'll look back on those 14 months and you'll think "Dang, I wasn't with that girl very long".
Actually 14 mos is a lifetime in my world. :laugh2:

Most times my relationships don't last past 4 mos. Right now i'm in a 6-monther and I'm ready to get ghost. :banghead:

Anyway, for me, "it's not you, it's me" means: I just don't want to be with you anymore. I still like and care about you, but I don't have the same romantic feelings for you anymore. I think you're a good person, but I'm bored by our relationship and don't feel this is something that I could see myself committing to for the rest of my life. So to save us both anymore heartache and pain, I'm leaving you.

Sorry, if that's too harsh. I've never said that before to anyone, cuz basically my feelings haven't been that deep. But, sometimes a person comes to the realization that the relationship is no longer "doing it" for them. But then that's when the work comes into play. You either work to keep it alive or you move on. I've moved on most of the time. :cool:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
Actually 14 mos is a lifetime in my world. :laugh2:

Most times my relationships don't last past 4 mos. Right now i'm in a 6-monther and I'm ready to get ghost. :banghead:

I've been with my current gf for 6 years. Before that the longest I'd been with someone was a year and a half (in highschool). Other then that, 6 months has been the longest. Usually it was 2-4 months though.

Actually usually it was 2-4 hours, but that's another story for another thread. :cool:

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
CowboyMark said:

The best thing to do is let her believe you're moving on...go clubbing, meet new people...it'll take some time but eventually the pain will go away.

Anything good in life typically takes patience and time.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
The shine has worn off....you no longer push her buttons.

Ever get that suffocating feeling ? She had it.....

jem88

Reaction score
CowboyMark said:
No experience in life 'goes down the drain.' You just keep learning through good and bad, and the fun part is that the more corners of knowledge you turn, the longer the avenues of experience that await you. Try writing a song about it. Much better than getting depressed.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Women!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still haven't figured them out.
:bang2: lol

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Until I got married mine usually lasted the 1 to 2 hour range and ended with a payment of money....she paid me to leave :D

blindzebra

Reaction score
You are supposed to say, "You're giving me the it's not you it's me?"

"Are you kidding me?"

"If it's anybody, it's me, baby!"

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
blindzebra said:

"Are you kidding me?"

:laugh2:

Worlds Colliding...WORLDS COLLIDING.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
"It's not you, it's me."

Translation...

"It's you." :(

But juke is on the money. It means she cares enough to hide the real truth and not hurt your feelings any more than necessary. I too, have used it and had it used.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
blindzebra said:

"Are you kidding me?"

"It's not you, it's me.... You're giving me the 'It's not you, it's me' routine? I invented 'It's not you, it's me.' Nobody tells me it's them, not me. If it's anybody, it's me."

"Alright, George, it's you."

"You're damn right it's me."

Hoov

Reaction score
I need to ask a question on these lines.

been with this girl for 2 years now, valentines day was like a 2yr aniversary.

so...problem is things are not like they used to be, but she's really close to my family, my daughter and somewhat dependent towards me. her folks have passed on, she doesnt get along that well with her siblings and she lives alone. if i broke up with her i dont know if/how she would handle it. She's very dependent on me.

maybe thats part of the problem, when i met her she was wild, and experienced in all kinds of things i wanted to experience. she's 10 years older than me and introduced me to a lot of "alternative lifestyle" activities.

But now things have changed so much. She just wants to go out for dinner or see a movie. she has too much social anxiety to go to a lot of places. Every day is like some new crisis and ive become an emotional cruth. She has some issues with depression and that gets pretty rough at times. Also with the depression theres some hostility. theres more i could add here but wont get into it.

And so i thought i would just get busier with some new projects and spend a little more time with some frinds to create some space, which has helped and since we dont see each other as often things have calmed down.

But there's a girl i've been around lately through different activities. And im really attracted to her and she likes me. well, she know my girlfriend and is willing to get involved with me even though she knows i have a girlfriend. I know its wrong but i think im going to see them both and be kind of secretive and just let the chips fall where they may. I mean, i need somethings too and im not getting it from my girlfriend (not sex, its the intimacy im missing) I feel like im always taking care of my girlfriend. The latest crisis was her recent weight gain, but that doesnt bother me, but she's upset and down all the time to the point where it has completely disrupted her whole emotional state for 3-4 months now and she doesnt want to go out and she cites her being overwight and older than me as reasons why.

I just cant handle having my girlfriend have an emotional breakdown on me, i dont want to go through that right now. If she would yell at me and tell me to go F myself i could say "this isnt working" and leave. But its too hard for me to walk away and picture her crying all day and night in her apartment all alone. we've been through a lot together. Its funny, she can solve and take care of everyone else's problems and actually loves to do this, but she really struggles with her own problems.

Over the holidays we started talking about maybe we arn't compatible and while im talking i look at her and she started to have a breakdown, man it was scary as hell, and im not even going to go into what transpired. She asked me to leave but she was in no condition to be left alone so i made her get in my car and took her to a diner for coffee and just talked until she was ok again. Then the next day she acts like nothing ever happened. No one but me see's this side of her.

But the bottom line is, i dont really get excited to see her like i used to and she can sense that and im not sure things can get back to where they were. I may be in over my head on this one cause i think i underestimated the degree of dependency her illness/depression would bring about.