"Sleeper" Movies

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Post some movies here that you would recommend to others that aren't very popular. Movies you think many may not have heard of that are surprisingly good.

I'll start with one:

Arlington Road

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Wow - I can't believe all the movie threads this weekend. Friggin bye-week.

That being said, the films put out by Focus Entertainment over the past few years have just about all been phenomenal. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Brokeback Mountain, etc. Everything I have seen that they have made has been enjoyable.

Three AMAZING foreign films:
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Run Lola Run
Amelie:Probably one of my favorite movies, period.

Quills is very good too.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The Frisco Kid.

If you haven't seen it, you're missing out. Hilarious.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
take the lead - fellas watch it with your lady, its a pretty damn good movie for a chick flick

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Hostile said:
The Frisco Kid.

If you haven't seen it, you're missing out. Hilarious.

That's definitely a sleeper I gotta go with. I love that movie too! It's amazing that even with a big name like Harrison Ford, I'd still consider it a "sleeper" flick.

I think the choice of Arlington Road is also a good one. I love that movie! Jeff Bridges' earlier movie, Blown Away, got so much attention that I thought going into this one that it was some sort of sequel, but it was much better, and I really dug the ending.

Trying to think sleeper (cause I don't consider half the movies listed as true sleepers):

187.... Samuel L. Jackson, before his overdramatic acting style was that well known, novel approach to the cliche teacher inspires the ghetto kids story

Punch Drunk Love.... yeah, I know big name actor and director, but really, when is the last time you heard anything about this movie, this was released when Adam Sandler was pulling in $200 mill per movie and it barely made a noise even though it was a highly entertaining flick

K-PAX.... going with the Jeff Bridges theme, this is really just a rip-off of a movie he made 20 years earlier called Starman, but still an entertaining flick

One Hour Photo.... i guess Robin Williams isn't as popular as he used to be, but I think he makes a great psycho, unlike one of his other popular psycho roles in Insomnia, this one didn't get near as much attention

....just a quick brainstorm, I could probably name several others.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tomson75 said:
True Romance

Boondock Saints

Love True Romance...great movie.

Samuel L Jackson in Formula 51.

Serenity, discussed in another thread but a good movie, not great but good.

joseephuss

Reaction score
You guys already named a bunch of good ones.

American Psycho

Christian Bale was great. When they announced he would be Batman, I knew he would be good based on this movie.

Cadence

I don't even like Charlie Sheen, but this was a good movie.

Antwoin Fisher

I don't know how well this did at the box office. I don't seem to remember hearing much of Denzle Washington's directorial debut. It was pretty good.

Fear of a Black Hat

Mockumentary about a rap group.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Flashpoint -- Kris Kristofferson and Treat Williams play a couple of Border Patrol agents who uncover a mystery involving JFK's assassination.

A Bronx Tale -- This is fairly well-known, but it never got its just due. Outstanding movie.

Mean Season -- Kurt Russell plays a newspaper reporter who is contacted by a serial killer.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tigerland - NOT a family movie due to language and some scenes but a very good movie IMO.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
If you're into the western genre, more specifically spaghetti westerns, then check out the Trinity series...

They Call Me Trinity

Trinity is Still My Name

Boot Hill

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
tomson75 said:
If you're into the western genre, more specifically spaghetti westerns, then check out the Trinity series...

They Call Me Trinity

Trinity is Still My Name

Boot Hill

I'm a huge fan.

1trin24.jpg

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
tomson75 said:

They Call Me Trinity

Trinity is Still My Name

Boot Hill
I love all of those.

Not the exact same genre but Support Your Local Sheriff and Support Your Local Gunfighter with James Garner are fun too.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
That's definitely a sleeper I gotta go with. I love that movie too! It's amazing that even with a big name like Harrison Ford, I'd still consider it a "sleeper" flick.

I think the choice of Arlington Road is also a good one. I love that movie! Jeff Bridges' earlier movie, Blown Away, got so much attention that I thought going into this one that it was some sort of sequel, but it was much better, and I really dug the ending.

Trying to think sleeper (cause I don't consider half the movies listed as true sleepers):

187.... Samuel L. Jackson, before his overdramatic acting style was that well known, novel approach to the cliche teacher inspires the ghetto kids story

Punch Drunk Love.... yeah, I know big name actor and director, but really, when is the last time you heard anything about this movie, this was released when Adam Sandler was pulling in $200 mill per movie and it barely made a noise even though it was a highly entertaining flick

K-PAX.... going with the Jeff Bridges theme, this is really just a rip-off of a movie he made 20 years earlier called Starman, but still an entertaining flick

One Hour Photo.... i guess Robin Williams isn't as popular as he used to be, but I think he makes a great psycho, unlike one of his other popular psycho roles in Insomnia, this one didn't get near as much attention

....just a quick brainstorm, I could probably name several others.

Absolutely HATED Punch Drunk Love. Not one second of it did I find enjoyable. Found One Hour Photo to be just weird, not really good.
Arlington Rd. had a good ending, but overall I thought the movie was just OK. Kinda has 6th Sense syndrome.

For me, it would be Clerks 2. And all Kevin Smith movies for that matter.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
The Long Riders: About the Younger Gang. A neat feature the gang was made up of brothers Younger's Miller's and the James's (Yes Jessie) any ways all the actors where real life brothers.

The Duellist: Features Harvey Keitel and keith Carradine and directed by Ridely Scott (1977) This is a story about two French officers during the Napoleonic Era. The story suppose to be based on a true story.

Excalibur: The best King Arthur movie ever period plane and simple I compare all to this film and they come up short. Merlin is portrayed in a way that is just cool. If you have not seen it and you like the King Arthur story line watch it.

The next listed ones are family movies and can be watched by all

Mister Roberts: This is because it is now old school so some of you youngins will be lost here. Has James Cagney;Henry Fonda and a aby face Jack Lemmon(yes the guy from grumpy old men). Takes place in WWII a comedy and it is pretty funny.

Operation Petty Coat: Cary Grant yes another old school one another WWII comedy and it is while worth watching. It deals with a submarine

Father Goose: Is another WWII comedy Cary Grant again and the babe looks good to Catherine Freneau. A teacher and a bunch of girls gets stranded on his island. He is a watcher/ spotter for the navy looking for Japanese ships or planes.

Just do a netflix or imdb search for more details

I also give a thumbs up to Hostile on the Frisco Kid it is a good old school one I seen it many times

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
You guys already named a bunch of good ones.

American Psycho

Christian Bale was great. When they announced he would be Batman, I knew he would be good based on this movie.

Cadence

I don't even like Charlie Sheen, but this was a good movie.

Antwoin Fisher

I don't know how well this did at the box office. I don't seem to remember hearing much of Denzle Washington's directorial debut. It was pretty good.

Fear of a Black Hat

Mockumentary about a rap group.
I love Fear of a Black Hat... we used to watch that all the time in college.

Another great underrated movie is "Strictly Ballroom" directed by Baz Luhrman.