"Ugliest Woman on YouTube" shows us what true beauty is

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
http://now.msn.com/living/0506-ugliest-woman-youtube-response.aspx

It's humiliating enough to be ridiculed as being unattractive, but how would you react if you were labeled the world's ugliest woman on YouTube? While many of us would curl up in a ball and never face the world again, 23-year-old Lizzie Velasquez tells her critics to suck it in this inspirational clip.

Velasquez, one of only three people in the world with an undiagnosed syndrome that has drastically altered her appearance, explains how she's transcended the merciless taunting that made her life a living hell. She's now in her sixth year of motivational speaking, has published her first book and is about to graduate college, seeking her "revenge through ... accomplishments and determination." Now that's simply beautiful.

[youtube]LQlkCavEf2M[/youtube]

Afigueroa22

Reaction score
Most people are ignorant. I have come to terms with it but it still Pi**es me off.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's certainly impressive, and my hat's off to her. I don't understand the need to subvert words just because they're hurtful, though. Can't she be wonderful, cool, accomplished, determined, whatever...and also ugly? There are worse things in life.

Maybe there's a way to overcome that ignorance and cruelty, too, without couching the accomplishment in terms of 'revenge.' That would probably be a healthier approach for this girl in the long run.

I say that with a full understanding of what she must go through and how hard it must be for her. It just doesn't strike me as the healthiest perspective regarding her unfortunate appearance.

Anyway, Saltwater, thanks for sharing. It's an interesting off-topic.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Idgit;4553812 said:
It's certainly impressive, and my hat's off to her. I don't understand the need to subvert words just because they're hurtful, though. Can't she be wonderful, cool, accomplished, determined, whatever...and also ugly? There are worse things in life.

Can't people be beautiful in different ways?

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4554169 said:
yeah they can but be honest people, not one of you would consider dating her

So your entire opinion on a woman's beauty is tied to whether or not you would date her?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Idgit;4553812 said:

Maybe there's a way to overcome that ignorance and cruelty, too, without couching the accomplishment in terms of 'revenge.' That would probably be a healthier approach for this girl in the long run.

I say that with a full understanding of what she must go through and how hard it must be for her. It just doesn't strike me as the healthiest perspective regarding her unfortunate appearance.

Anyway, Saltwater, thanks for sharing. It's an interesting off-topic.
Good post.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;4554210 said:
I don't know her. How can answer that question based on a short video?
I think most people could honestly answer that question based on the short video. And I think everyone else would be lying.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
theogt;4554215 said:
I think most people could honestly answer that question based on the short video. And I think everyone else would be lying.

Exactly. Not one of us would go up and talk to her in a bar to hit on her. Simple as that.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
theogt;4554215 said:

To say that I would never date her based on her appearance in a short video is to claim knowledge of every possible set of future circumstances that might arise.

A person who would claim such knowledge is more than likely lying.

In high school, I knew a girl named Jessica. She had some condition that left her confined to a wheelchair. She had very poor motor control. She could barely talk and needed assistance to do things that the rest of us do with ease.

Now, she's about to finish law school, and she's getting married to a normal person.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;4554258 said:
To say that I would never date her based on her appearance in a short video is to claim knowledge of every possible set of future circumstances that might arise.

A person who would claim such knowledge is more than likely lying.

In high school, I knew a girl named Jessica. She had some condition that left her confined to a wheelchair. She had very poor motor control. She could barely talk and needed assistance to do things that the rest of us do with ease.

Now, she's about to finish law school, and she's getting married to a normal person.

but she isn't marrying you I assume, and I also assume you never asked her out in high school.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I would not date her, but this is a very interesting off-topic discussion.

I would certainly befriend her, though.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4554292 said:
but she isn't marrying you I assume, and I also assume you never asked her out in high school.

I did not, and perhaps it was my loss.

But someone did find her beautiful. They did walk up and talk to her and ask her out. I would like to think we all have the capacity to look past conventions of beauty.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4554248 said:
Exactly. Not one of us would go up and talk to her in a bar to hit on her. Simple as that.

It seems the only thing simple is your understanding of human interaction.

You can't seem to separate the value of a woman from whether or not you think she's attractive enough to bang. You're certainly not alone, which is why this girl is prompted to this, but I do hope you have a small family with very few female siblings.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
vta;4554315 said:
It seems the only thing simple is your understanding of human interaction.

You can't seem to separate the value of a woman from whether or not you think she's attractive enough to bang. You're certainly not alone, which is why this girl is prompted to this, but I do hope you have a small family with very few female siblings.

Would you date her?

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4554334 said:
Would you date her?

You just made his point.

Your question is irrelevant to the discussion of whether or not she's beautiful.