"We’re becoming a nation of wussies."

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3767631 said:
If they declare a state of emergency then it does not make them wimps for not playing. Actually it is using your head and being adult about a situation that could put a good number of people in danger who will be going to a game in what is reported to be bad weather conditions.

It would be more wimpy to go ahead with the game when there is real bad weather scheduled instead of making a hard stand for the safety of the community or people...because they know they would get ripped on over a football game.

Sorry...This whole idea of it making them wimps over this is pretty stupid IMO.

I know it is the eagles, I know we as cowboys fans hate the eagles and some of us have a special disdain for Vick...but stupid is stupid and considering the whole thing wimpy for trying to protect the community or individuals and putting more focus on the ramifications of a predicted nasty winter storm is just more important IMO. If I lived in the area or if I were the players I would rather they put more of the resources and concern to the community.

The point is calling this a "state of emergency" and canceling the game wouldn't have happened not that long ago. Just because the standards for calling a "state of emergency" have relaxed to this point doesn't mean it isn't wimpish.

We are indeed becoming a nation of pansies.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vtwin;3770763 said:
The point is calling this a "state of emergency" and canceling the game wouldn't have happened not that long ago. Just because the standards for calling a "state of emergency" have relaxed to this point doesn't mean it isn't wimpish.

We are indeed becoming a nation of pansies.

Kind of how they called off the one Minny game due to snow and had to play it elsewhere.

I did not see as many people whining about that. And of course maybe it was the right decision seeing as the roof partially caved in on that stadium.

Now if they wanted to they could have seen if they wanted to play it somewhere else.

I don't have a problem if they played it or did not play it.

What I think is silly is labeling everyone in that area wimps or the nfl Wimps or wussies for cancelling it.

We get some idiot trying to make a statement about wussification and comparing what some chinese would do, while throwing in a stereotype along the way, and it sounds pretty stupid IMO.

Maybe if some people would worry more about the state of Pennyslvania or the city of Philly instead of harping about some NFL game...maybe the state of Penn and city of Philly would be better off. I am sure they face much bigger problems than some NFL game being moved back a day or two.

Actually I know for a fact that Penn has much bigger problems than an NFL game.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon;3770741 said:
Just or the record, either you're just kidding or you do not know your sports figures very well. Here's just a few small names of those sports figures that come out of Philadelphia ...

Eddie George (Dallas Cowboys – Philadelphia

John Heisman – Namesake of the Heisman Trophy – Philadelphia

Digger Phelps – Notre Dame Head Coach – Philadelphia

Roy Campanellla Professional HOF baseball player—Philadelphia

Wilt Chamberlain professional basketball player—Philadelphia

Marvin Harrison,professional football player—Philadelphia

Eddie George (Dallas Cowboys football player) – Philadelphia

This guy ... portrays a fictional character as Rocky.

Wilt is known as a Laker and none of those other guys are as famous as Rocky ..... and he is not real.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
zrinkill;3770841 said:
Wilt is known as a Laker and none of those other guys are as famous as Rocky ..... and he is not real.

No disrespect, but how old are you?

I'm not sure how you are comprehending, so I'll try once again. It doesn't matter who Wilt Chamberlain played for (Warriors and 76ers), he was born and raised in Philadelphia; as were all of the figures previously identified. Sylvester Stallone is an actor (not a sports figure), who portrayed the character Rocky (fictional in nature). Stallone or Rocky if you prefer, was born in New York (hell's kitchen area).

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3770768 said:
Kind of how they called off the one Minny game due to snow and had to play it elsewhere.

I did not see as many people whining about that. And of course maybe it was the right decision seeing as the roof partially caved in on that stadium.

Now if they wanted to they could have seen if they wanted to play it somewhere else.

What I think is silly is labeling everyone in that area wimps or the nfl Wimps or wussies for cancelling it.

We get some idiot trying to make a statement about wussification and comparing what some chinese would do, while throwing in a stereotype along the way, and it sounds pretty stupid IMO.

Maybe if some people would worry more about the state of Pennyslvania or the city of Philly instead of harping about some NFL game...maybe the state of Penn and city of Philly would be better off. I am sure they face much bigger problems than some NFL game being moved back a day or two.

It would be interesting to see how much of that classic NFL Films footage that we all love would not exist if the same standards that were applied to last weekends wimpout were applied to those games.

Tricericon

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon;3770741 said:
Just or the record, either you're just kidding or you do not know your sports figures very well. Here's just a few small names of those sports figures that come out of Philadelphia ...

Eddie George (Dallas Cowboys – Philadelphia

John Heisman – Namesake of the Heisman Trophy – Philadelphia

Digger Phelps – Notre Dame Head Coach – Philadelphia

Roy Campanellla Professional HOF baseball player—Philadelphia

Wilt Chamberlain professional basketball player—Philadelphia

Marvin Harrison,professional football player—Philadelphia

Eddie George (Dallas Cowboys football player) – Philadelphia

This guy ... portrays a fictional character as Rocky.

Double counting Eddie George is cheating.

If you really want to plug Philly, sports or no, you should look back about 235 years. The modern city is nothing to be proud of.

However, you missed Herb Adderly, Erik Williams, Frank Wycheck, and Rich Gannon.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Phoenix-Talon;3770927 said:
No disrespect, but how old are you?

I'm not sure how you are comprehending, so I'll try once again. It doesn't matter who Wilt Chamberlain played for (Warriors and 76ers), he was born and raised in Philadelphia; as were all of the figures previously identified. Sylvester Stallone is an actor (not a sports figure), who portrayed the character Rocky (fictional in nature). Stallone or Rocky if you prefer, was born in New York (hell's kitchen area).

His original post went completely over your head. I knew what he was saying as soon as he posted it.

He was talking about the most famous sports hero worldwide for Philly was Rocky Balboa...they had that statue for years and almost everyone knows of the rocky movies. Hence the most famous sports hero not being real.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Actually, it was an ignored attempt to flame ...it really did not go over my head.;)

Thanks for those additional figures; I didn't know about them.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3770768 said:

Its a little bit different when you don't play because you're stadium has caved in..

There was no reason to cancel the game, he was right.

Someone mentioned it earlier but the Eagles allow people to come tailgate and drink up to 7 hours before the game starts. Allowing these people to drink pretty much all day and then drive home puts them in much more safety than a few inches of snow, most of which wasn't sticking by the time the game was to start anyway. All the main roads had been cleared as well. It wouldn't have been a big deal.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3770949 said:
His original post went completely over your head. I knew what he was saying as soon as he posted it.

He was talking about the most famous sports hero worldwide for Philly was Rocky Balboa...they had that statue for years and almost everyone knows of the rocky movies. Hence the most famous sports hero not being real.

You fellas never heard of Kobe Bryant huh?

:laugh2:

Not to mention, Wilt, Bernard Hopkins, and Joe Frazier.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3771033 said:
Its a little bit different when you don't play because you're stadium has caved in..

There was no reason to cancel the game, he was right.

Someone mentioned it earlier but the Eagles allow people to come tailgate and drink up to 7 hours before the game starts. Allowing these people to drink pretty much all day and then drive home puts them in much more safety than a few inches of snow, most of which wasn't sticking by the time the game was to start anyway. All the main roads had been cleared as well. It wouldn't have been a big deal.

Perhaps ...hindsight is 20-20.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon;3771075 said:
Perhaps ...hindsight is 20-20.

"Perhaps" its a little more dangerous when you have a few hundred drunk, unruly fans driving home in bumper to bumper traffic, than when you have a couple inches of snow on some back roads?

Hope to God you arn't ever in charge of public safety..

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3771079 said:
"Perhaps" its a little more dangerous when you have a few hundred drunk, unruly fans driving home in bumper to bumper traffic, than when you have a couple inches of snow on some back roads?

Hope to God you arn't ever in charge of public safety..

What?!? Look, this is all over with ...like it or not the decision was made. Drunk, unruly fans, tailgate for extensive periods, potential to cause damage in good/bad weather ...whatever. Over, finished, behind us, get over it or not.

Neither you or I am the Public Safety Commission; nor do I have, or have ever had any inclination to become one.

The city made it's decision and it is now history; it's a wrap.

jimmy40

Reaction score
The next time there's a hurricane bearing down on New Orleans and the Saints have a game scheduled for the Dome I say screw it, play the game. What's the worst that could happen? -Ed Rendell

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3767803 said:
I didn't even catch this part, but they just played it on NFL Network.

Gov Rendell: The Chineese are beating us in everything! If this game were in China, they would have marched down to the stadium. They would've walked, and they would be doing calculus on the way there.

:lmao2:

Racism is ALWAYS funny. :laugh2:

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Rynie;3771346 said:
Racism is ALWAYS funny. :laugh2:

Nah.. the funny part is a political figure, a state Governor nonetheless, can say this on television, have it played all around the country, and have not one person seem to notice or react to the stereotypical statement he made.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Racism is the total opposite of funny ...in fact, it's deadly! By the way "Chinese" is a nationality ...not a race!

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon;3771899 said:
Racism is the total opposite of funny ...in fact, it's deadly! By the way "Chinese" is a nationality ...not a race!

Almost 93% of China is composed of "Han Chinese". That's about 1.2 billion people, the remaining 7-8% is spread out over 50 other groups.

Just an FYI.

And Calculus isn't hard at all. It's the damn algebra that gets you screwed up.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3771922 said:
Almost 93% of China is composed of "Han Chinese". That's about 1.2 billion people, the remaining 7-8% is spread out over 50 other groups.

Just an FYI.

And Calculus isn't hard at all. It's the damn algebra that gets you screwed up.

That's interesting data. Have you ever been to China?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3770949 said:

Bingo .... :laugh2: