Quote from Garretts monday press conference

Staubacher

Reaction score
I don't think Garrett threw anyone under the bus. He's the head coach, after all, and I believe he simply said we need to run the ball more during the no-huddle. In general, every football fan and talking head in the entire country is saying the Cowboys need to run the ball more, so I think perhaps Garrett's comment on the matter was just an aside - him saying something he assumed everyone else was thinking at the time. Garrett can't possibly not understand that if the Boys don't run the ball enough, it is his own fault.

You underestimate his ego.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Haha, I see Garrett as having a huge ego as well. Just a personal observation from me, no need for anyone to get upset. I read this thread earlier and I mentioned Jason as already planning on his excuses if things don't go well.

What I picture, kind of like a movie. Every night Garrett sits in his basement or office and scribbles notes. He remembers every little detail of all the coaches mistakes and shortcomings. He will be fully prepared to cover his you know what when Jerry comes a calling. There will be power-point presentations, charts, graphs and maybe even drawing boards all showing others faults.

Jason is a very smart and calculating man. He will have all bases covered if he needs to defend himself. Over the years, Jerry has probably screwed over hundreds of businessmen and with our(my) luck, Garrett might be the only man to ever screw over Jerry and talk his way into another season :eek:

This is all in jest, just having fun here. But, I could totally see Garrett weasel his way out of the doghouse. This only applies if the season falters.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I still haven't seen anyone answer the question of why didn't Garrett use his authority in-game as head coach to demand we run more/stop the audible rather than blame his QB after the fact.

Sending a messege to Jerry maybe? If it was Jerry's decision to strip him of the playcalling, it could be Garrett shoving it back in his (Jerry's) face. who knows

Deep_South

Reaction score

I think anyone who aspires to coach an NFL team has to come in with a big ego. The question is, has Garrett's ego inflated to the point he no longer understands his job description? It certainly happens - I've seen it happen in the corporate world. If the Cowboys don't have the personnel to run the ball, if the right plays aren't being called, or if there is anything else about the team that isn't conducive to running the ball or succeeding in any other area, it is officially his fault. If he can't control his coaches or his QB with regard to the running game, it is his fault. If he's forgotten, I'm absolutely certain Jerry Jones will remind him. (I'd bet my autographed Sean Lee card he already has...) One thing I'm positive he does know is winning fixes everything, so look for him to pull out all the stops on Sunday.

Zordon

Reaction score
Werder said on the national shows last week that he was still struggling with and frustrated about not calling plays anymore.

I think Werder is a weasel of a person, but he's very well sourced with the team. Just getting that in before someone claims he made it up.

Back to Garrett, it is funny to hear him act like so little running is unacceptable after about half a decade of him as OC neglecting the run.

all you have to do is watch 5 minutes of yesterday's PC to know that he's still pissed about being stripped of play calling duties.

Reaction score
No. I mean, define unsuccessful running. If you can make a few yards, you have to continue to run. If you don't, then unsuccessful running turns into unsuccessful throwing and you end up getting your QB killed. That's how the game works.

That's easy: unsuccessful running means you're unable to make the other team bite on your play action or commit safetys into the box. You no makee 10 yards then you no makee first downs.

The defense "rests",,, lol

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
It is truly incredible that nothing is ever this guys fault.

He should have been kicked to the curb with Waddles when his half of the team was just as bad.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Sorry guys JG is clean on this mess...Since TO left it has been the same mess... Players have came and went but there is one constant factor...Tony Romo.

JG may help game plan but JJ personally has remove JG from the play calling. So how are you guys blaming JG? I remember Kitna starting in 2010 playing real good once the team settle down under JG. Sometimes I think you guys are afraid to call Romo out.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
Sorry guys JG is clean on this mess...Since TO left it has been the same mess... Players have came and went but there is one constant factor...Tony Romo.

JG may help game plan but JJ personally has remove JG from the play calling. So how are you guys blaming JG? I remember Kitna starting in 2010 playing real good once the team settle down under JG. Sometimes I think you guys are afraid to call Romo out.

Who is Jason Garrett? What is his resume? What has he accomplished? Who has he developed?

Romo is the only thing keeping this guy employed. This is the same stale playbook and the same tired trends.

No one left to scape goat on defense this season.

khiladi

Reaction score

You obviously don't remember well... Jon Kitna threw 12 INTs in 10 games, despite the fact Dallas went totally conservative and actually started to run the ball.. He also had 6 fumbles. Romo had 7 INTs in 6 games and I believe no fumbles, despite the fact that Garrett refused to run the ball with Romo at the helm and didn't let the defense rest, which actually didn't start off playing that bad.

The reason that team started winning had nothing to do with Kitna and everything to do with TOs on defense. When Tony Romo was injured in game 6, up until game 5 they had only 4 TOs. The last 10 games, they had a total of 27 TOs. Every game they won that year with Kitna was because they won the TO margin, even against horrendous teams like Detroit. Every game they lost with Kitna, they either tied or lost the TO battle, even against crappy teams like Arizona.

Additionally, the only significant victory they had with Kitna was against a solid Colts team if I remember correctly. And that too was because they took care of the ball and created more TOs. They had nothing to lose by then to take risks on defense, which they did.

Jason Garrett is an utter joke as an OC...

Staubacher

Reaction score

The Head Coach can demand more runs at any point in the game.

If Garrett and Romo both went on the market tomorrow guess which one would have a number of teams salivating over them for their respective positions. It ain't Garrett