Quote from Garretts monday press conference

Hoov

Reaction score
"Yesterday's game we were in some no huddle situations for different reasons -- to attack the defense, to handle some of the third down situations, to handle the crowd noise and we simply threw the ball too much in those situations," he said.

The comment was made in regards to not running the ball as effectively or well as they would like to.

So Garrett acknowledging the nature of the problem (at least in this game particularly) seems to be the decision to go away from the run to the pass when running the no huddle offense.

The question remains, in yesterdays game who is more liable for this. BC or Romo. Any thoughts ?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Yesterday's game we were in some no huddle situations for different reasons -- to attack the defense, to handle some of the third down situations, to handle the crowd noise and we simply threw the ball too much in those situations," he said.

The comment was made in regards to not running the ball as effectively or well as they would like to.

So Garrett acknowledging the nature of the problem (at least in this game particularly) seems to be the decision to go away from the run to the pass when running the no huddle offense.

The question remains, in yesterdays game who is more liable for this. BC or Romo. Any thoughts ?

I honestly don't know who to blame... Is it Callahan calling too many passes or is it Romo audibling out of a run to a pass? Maybe some of both. QB's are always going to want to pass first if given the opportunity.

Deep_South

Reaction score

It is probably more situational than anything else. You run the no huddle to keep the other team from substituting their passing down defense. That means their best run defense is stuck on the field. Passing seems pretty logical no matter who is calling the plays, although always passing probably isn't.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So why didn't Jason over rule some of those calls, or give his input....how much is on Romo if he change the play to a pass, if that was the case at all.
I know they will never do this, and I can understand why, but don't just make that statement, tell us why it did or did not happen.

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
Seems to me Garrett is saying Romo is the reason we arent running it enough.

Hoov

Reaction score
It is probably more situational than anything else. You run the no huddle to keep the other team from substituting their passing down defense. That means their best run defense is stuck on the field. Passing seems pretty logical no matter who is calling the plays, although always passing probably isn't.

hmmm. good point about calling the play based on the personnel you stick the defense with.

Proximo

Reaction score

The blame should really be shared between JG, BC, and Romo. They all must have significant input to the game plan leading up the game and whatever adjustments are happening during it.

And I hate to say it, but Demarco Murray is partly to blame as well. How many yards per carry is he averaging? Maybe if the run game was more productive at the beginning of the game they'd be more willing to stick with it. It's at least part of the problem. He just hasn't looked particularly good so far. I'd like to see some more Dunbar next week (assuming he doesn't fumble again). Maybe that will help spice things up.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Jimmy used to tell Norv that he wanted to power in the ball and he had 4 downs to do it. He would intercede and say I want to runs in this series. No audibles.

Hoov

Reaction score
The blame should really be shared between JG, BC, and Romo. They all must have significant input to the game plan leading up the game and whatever adjustments are happening during it.

And I hate to say it, but Demarco Murray is partly to blame as well. How many yards per carry is he averaging? Maybe if the run game was more productive at the beginning of the game they'd be more willing to stick with it. It's at least part of the problem. He just hasn't looked particularly good so far. I'd like to see some more Dunbar next week (assuming he doesn't fumble again). Maybe that will help spice things up.

Good answer

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think that if you watch the game, you will see that KC really controlled the LOS. You can say it's Murray but I think that in this game, it's more about KC's play in the trenches.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score

You forgot the third choice: lousy running.

SWG9

Reaction score
Why does that statement say "when romo is calling plays" Even in the no huddle there is still a play call sent in.

Are we still running the system where two plays are called in the huddle and Romo has the freedom to audible to either one depending on what the defence is showing??

I hadn't heard if we were still running this under BC...