R1 Grade: B-

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Player comps via scouts were in fact "Jaylon Smith".
Parsons is not a play diagnoser either. His "weaknesses" are zone coverage and play action/ball fakes.
He was a HS DE and he was best used as an attack dog just coming forward beating OL to the spot.
Like Jaylon he is not good in zone but can handle man assignments with raw speed. He has poor eye discipline and plays better coming downhill.

Like a lot of high draft picks he out-athleted folks in college. But he is not take on LB nor is he a Sean Lee I know whats coming player.
He is a run and hit guy. Same as Jaylon.
Which is fine, Jaylon is a quality NFL LB.
You just now have two very similar guys.
They can't handle the truth, even when film proves them wrong...like at the 7:00 mark...

superonyx

Reaction score
Go to the 7:00 mark...

Now, apologize for being wrong!

So what you are saying is this youtube personality who has never been a professional scout knows more than all the guys being paid serious money to actually be professional scouts?
Haha... Imagine arguing with other fans because they don't agree with some dude on youtube's uneducated opinion.... good times.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Im giving it an overall A-. The pick of Parsons alone was a B+ but when you add in the additional day 2 pick, i feel it deserves to slide up a grade. Wasn't my first choice with Slater still on the board, but im not gonna rue the day because we didn't take my first choice.

starfan1

Reaction score
My guess is this will be one of the more generous day 1 grades.
Most fans were aghast at selecting LB R1.
I’d say we were pretty split: too many media junkies . I was LB first and had many fans agree with me. We will get cb or S today and possible DL today or tmrw

I was one who thought LB was as critical as CB our LB corps suck

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Will McClay knows how to study film and he believes Parsons was worth drafting. Otherwise they would taken taken the Bears trade.

I guess you know more than Will McClay because you scouted someone on YouTube,
Lots of scouts are noting the Jaylon comp.
Jaylon is a valuable NFL player who most team would love to have.

Will McClay is my dude but he also thought Taco was worth an R1. These guys aren't infallible.
It's quite OK to just say I trust Will but if that's the case that's all you got and no point discussing it any further.

superonyx

Reaction score
They can't handle the truth, even when film proves them wrong...like at the 7:00 mark...

This is getting dumber by the post.
Watch 2 years of Ray Lewis film and I bet you can find a play where misdirection fooled him a few times.
If a player doesn't react to the play action bozos like this would say they are slow to react. When they do react bozos come out and say they get fooled and lack the metal side of the position.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Voch is a great dude and entertaining as heck but he is an amateur arm chair guy.
I played LB in HS and then Safety in college.
I have sat through film for hours upon hours with college coaches out of Jimmy Johnson's "tree" --Carlos Mainord was my DC. .

But more than that.. dude.. watch the tape... lol. The first 5 or 6 plays he shows are all Parsons blitzing a non P5 team (Memphis). He has exactly ZERO stack and shed plays in that first 5 minutes.

Hey bro so did I....I played LB too and then SS in college and Parsons makes plays Jaylon doesn't make and can't make. 1:42 Jaylon can't make that play, he's fast enough but he can't read the flow fast enough. Jaylon can't make the play at 2:42 and Jaylon would never attempt to stack a 300lb tackle like Parsons does at the 3:20 mark. You can hate the pick but the comparison is wrong.

superonyx

Reaction score
Lots of scouts are noting the Jaylon comp.
Jaylon is a valuable NFL player who most team would love to have.

Will McClay is my dude but he also thought Taco was worth an R1. These guys aren't infallible.
It's quite OK to just say I trust Will but if that's the case that's all you got and no point discussing it any further.
If it was only Will then you have a point. Show me some real NFL scouts that agree with your youtube assessment. Not some unqualified mouthpiece but an actual real professional.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This is getting dumber by the post.
Watch 2 years of Ray Lewis film and I bet you can find a play where misdirection fooled him a few times.
If a player doesn't react to the play action bozos like this would say they are slow to react. When they do react bozos come out and say they get fooled and lack the metal side of the position.
Go back a few posts and read the high school to college player history of Parsons that @jterrell posted. It says a lot about why Parsons plays the way he does.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I’d say we were pretty split: too many media junkies . I was LB first and had many fans agree with me. We will get cb or S today and possible DL today or tmrw

I was one who thought LB was as critical as CB our LB corps suck
I don't think there was a big split.
There are polls on this forum showing a preference for a CB in the 70% range.
Doesn't mean the fans aren't wrong.
And Parsons having a Jayton like game doesn't mean he sucks. --I might be Jaylon's biggest supporter on these forums and I love LB play/defense from my own playing days.

I thought my takes here were very balanced.
I LOVED the trade down and DAL probably came out better than I would have because I would have simply taken Slater at 10.

But "MY" A options were Surtain/Horn/Sewell.

Brooksey

Reaction score

You found a play where he bit on a reverse? You think that makes him Jaylon Smith? That's about where the similarities end, and they all bite on reverses just not all the time. It was a good play and blocked well when he stepped up.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
They were part of the equation, they just would have required a move up.
End of day they were almost certainly the teams top 2 targets.
They went off board so that's a con.
I liked both CB more than Parsons but I do not think I liked them more than Parsons +75+84 which is what it ended up being.
Horne was so over drafted. The injury to Farley caused him to jump up boards. Parsons is light years better then Home. Carolina did us a solid. Surtain is a true professional but big cornerbacks have a limited upside. Parsons potential is limitless. He could have a Chase Young impact on our defense.

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
Why people fall for these blatant attempts at being a troll is beyond me. Open thread, read initial post, have a nice chuckle and leave. Don't feed this kind!

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I think we did a good job overall.

Once the two CBs were taken it was almost a given that we were taking Parsons or Slater at 10. Then we traded down two spots and picked up an extra 3rd round pick and still was able to get 1 of the 2 guys we would've taken at 10 anyways.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hey bro so did I....I played LB too and then SS in college and Parsons makes plays Jaylon doesn't make and can't make. 1:42 Jaylon can't make that play, he's fast enough but he can't read the flow fast enough. Jaylon can't make the play at 2:42 and Jaylon would never attempt to stack a 300lb tackle like Parsons does at the 3:20 mark. You can hate the pick but the comparison is wrong.
Jaylon was a better collegiate LB than Parsons.
If you don't understand that I can't help you.

I am guessing you are a guy who hates Jaylon so are now freaking out about the comp.

Literally EVERY scout is saying what I have said about style and weaknesses.

I think there is a very solid chance he succeeds big time in Dallas but he is what he is right now.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Why people fall for these blatant attempts at being a troll is beyond me. Open thread, read initial post, have a nice chuckle and leave. Don't feed this kind!
ROFL dude pumps the post to the top of the board than says don;t feed trolls... good effort kid, good game.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You found a play where he bit on a reverse? You think that makes him Jaylon Smith? That's about where the similarities end, and they all bite on reverses just not all the time. It was a good play and blocked well when he stepped up.
It was more than 1 play. Let's be honest now.