R1 Grade: B-

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Horne was so over drafted. The injury to Farley caused him to jump up boards. Parsons is light years better then Home. Carolina did us a solid. Surtain is a true professional but big cornerbacks have a limited upside. Parsons potential is limitless. He could have a Chase Young impact on our defense.
Nothing I stated said any differently.

Kwyn

Reaction score
They were part of the equation, they just would have required a move up.
End of day they were almost certainly the teams top 2 targets.
They went off board so that's a con.
I liked both CB more than Parsons but I do not think I liked them more than Parsons +75+84 which is what it ended up being.
Trevor Lawrence was off the board. Need to put him into the equation as well.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Im giving it an overall A-. The pick of Parsons alone was a B+ but when you add in the additional day 2 pick, i feel it deserves to slide up a grade. Wasn't my first choice with Slater still on the board, but im not gonna rue the day because we didn't take my first choice.
Nothing wrong with that.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Jaylon was a better collegiate LB than Parsons.
If you don't understand that I can't help you.

I am guessing you are a guy who hates Jaylon so are now freaking out about the comp.

Literally EVERY scout is saying what I have said about style and weaknesses.

I think there is a very solid chance he succeeds big time in Dallas but he is what he is right now.

I don't hate..it's not my thing. I don't like the way Jaylon side steps blocks and can't work up field through traffic. He always making plays 7 yards downfield, has a very hard time beating the flow to the outside "up the field" because he's slow to recognize (im not talking about biting on a reverse). The only thing I see that's similar from their college tape is the way they blitzed off the edge. Both were very good.

RD21

Reaction score
I think it's premature to give a grade on our 1st pick yet. We only have 1/2 of it so far. I think seeing what becomes of the 3rd rounder we got with Parsons, is part of the equation for grading our 1st round pick this year.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
My guess is this will be one of the more generous day 1 grades.
Most fans were aghast at selecting LB R1.
That grade makes no sense because we drafted a player who was widely thought of as a top 10 player at a position of need. Frankly, assigning a grade at this point is meaningless but I guess it’s a fun exercise.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Will McClay knows how to study film and he believes Parsons was worth drafting. Otherwise they would taken taken the Bears trade.

I guess you know more than Will McClay because you scouted someone on YouTube,
How have those Will McClay picks turned out the past several years?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
What we do on day 2 will define what this Parson pick is truly graded. LB was a position of need as was corner. Fans tend to forget that Sean Lee just retired and LVE is not given to be back next season.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Unbelievable. You draft arguably the best defensive player in the draft at 12, get an extra pick and you give that selection a B-.

Parsons is a great prospect but what he is suggesting and I agree with him is we need a more fundamentally sound and smart LB who doesn't fall for any slight fake like LVE and Jaylon. Parsons could be a dynamic player but we need a new field general like Sean Lee.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Good points but I just can't list a con that is about 2 CB's that were not available when we drafted.
Was Surtain good enough to give up our 2nd or next years first to move down and get him? I'm not ready to say yes.

I believe we need to rate a pick based on available players at that selection only.
I mean I gave them credit for trading down.
Would seem fair to note the trade down was so good because their top targets were off the board.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Parsons is a great prospect but what he is suggesting and I agree with him is we need a more fundamentally sound and smart LB who doesn't fall for any slight fake like LVE and Jaylon. Parsons could be a dynamic player but we need a new Sean Lee.
Yes! I wasn't even quite going to so far as to say NEED. But it's a definite concern and worth mentionning that they are so similar.
I'm about 90% sure next year you;'ll have Jaylon at Mike calling the defense and Parsons playing Will as Jaylon lines him up.

I don't know that either are the Zone drop type backer in coverages (LVE is really good there) but both are nasty good in man to man for big dudes.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
What we do on day 2 will define what this Parson pick is truly graded. LB was a position of need as was corner. Fans tend to forget that Sean Lee just retired and LVE is not given to be back next season.
Accurate.
Day 1 grade is just a small portion of an overall grade.
But it's what we have to talk about for 24 hours.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That grade makes no sense because we drafted a player who was widely thought of as a top 10 player at a position of need. Frankly, assigning a grade at this point is meaningless but I guess it’s a fun exercise.
Dane rated him 12th.
Matt Miller 8th.

He's a solid value at 12 and the trade was a big win.

Not sure why my grade is seen as overly harsh.
I fully expect them to have an A grade day 2 with the added picks and do well this draft.

I just think the Parsons pick was a bit of a punt as their top targets went off the board and inf act the Eagles bailed them out with a free R3 for a guy they would have taken at 10 anyway.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
All in all I am mixed on the Cowboys R1.

Pros:
- Parsons might be the best raw athlete in this draft defensively. 4.39 at 246 pounds is scary good.
- He is a defender. DAL had to align resources to that side of the ball. Forgetting the NFL game is still 3 phases is egregious roster mgmt.
- For all the Jaylon/LVE miss talk they were dynamic together with a healthy LVE for one stretch. You can see Quinn trying to recreate that with a healthy Parsons.
- The trade down was insanely nice. You pick up 84 for free as DAL was absolutely not taking a QB or WR. DAL has most remaining picks/value of any team. Should own day 2 w/ 4 picks.
- Parsons was the top rated defender on most boards for the last year.
- Day 1 role as a starting LB. Likely plays Will w LVE becoming LB3.
- Jimmy chart says DAL won trade with 170 point pick 84 for dropping 2 spots which is 100 points. +70 points is pretty extreme.

Cons:
- He is a Cowboys LB... he can run and he can hit but he attacks first action; Ball fakes own him.
- He is a LB period. Positional value is lowest on defense for me.
- He is a bit too concerned with being an alpha dog for me.
- Team now has two Jaylons. Big dudes who play best just attacking or lining up in man coverage versus tight ends/running backs.
- Top 2 CBs probably were a better fit for positional value, immediate return.

they passed on Slater.

insane.