Radio Booth needs a fresh start

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Sham is the voice of the Dallas Cowboys!!! DO NOT mess with that. I want him to broadcast Cowboy games for as long as he is capable. His time is coming to an end soon enough. The heir apparent is Kyle Yomans who was called upon to fill Sham's shoes for one game last year when Sham could not answer the bell. KY did an admirable job on short notice.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I watch the games on TV but occasionally I’ll catch Sham & Laughing gas on radio and Sham in particular has been too long in the saddle .

Tell you what if I owned a team I would let a radio duo do my games 8 yrs max then it’s time for a fresh perspective. Shams folksy it’s “ only a game “ mantra after another bitter loss in particular is worn out.

Joe Trahan locally on ch 8 seems like an ideal radio play by play dude with maybe Broadus analyzing the mistakes .

:facepalm:
I agree that we need a new broadcast team. I’m old enough to remember listening to Verne Lundquist doing the Cowboys play by play and Brad Sham was the analyst….in the 70s! It was good team for several years. But Sham is tiresome now IMO.

Here are several things Sham does that are irritating:
  • If you ever turn on the game after it’s started, you may have to wait 5-10 minutes (if you’re lucky) to ever hear the score announced.
  • Sham has a bad habit of not describing the action accurately. He often says things that are misleading. For example: “Dak drops back, going deep down the left side, and it’s caught by Cedee Lamb for a 5 yard gain.”
  • He calls too many players by their first names too often. Like “Dak”, “Zeke”, “Deron”, “Micah”, etc. So if someone who doesn’t know the team very well is listening with me (like my wife) I have to explain who he’s talking about.
  • Sham has become somewhat of a super-homer like Mickey Spagnola. He works for the Cowboys and never forgets who’s in charge and never forgets to bow the knee. I guess honest broadcasters like Dale Hansen who aren’t afraid to tell the truth get fired.

What gets me too is the mistaken player who he says makes the play .. example
“ and it’s an interception by Bland “ when in fact someone else picked off the pass . And yes I chalk it up to age . At some point jobs have to turn over new people need to take over .

Prime example is our “ GM “ . And yes the radio play by play team needs a new voice

RonWashington

Reaction score
Sham has been carrying the Jones/team's water for way too long. Hès just trying to stay long enough to retire, I think. I highly doubt he cares about the team's success. Give me a guy with real passion in the radio booth. Brad had his time, and that has now passed.

EXACTLY. :hammer:

RonWashington

Reaction score
Sham is the voice of the Dallas Cowboys!!! DO NOT mess with that. I want him to broadcast Cowboy games for as long as he is capable. His time is coming to an end soon enough. The heir apparent is Kyle Yomans who was called upon to fill Sham's shoes for one game last year when Sham could not answer the bell. KY did an admirable job on short notice.

Kyle Yomans sounds like an announcer who should be doing Gainesville Vs Lufkin HS football please no !!

RonWashington

Reaction score
It’s funny Sham tried baseball not long ago and came to the conclusion 162 games the heck with that . Give me 17 Cowboy games and a first round exit and it’s a long long vacation season . Eric Nadel another broadcaster too long in the Texas Rangers booth

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sham is one of the best in the NFL. Trahan is a spare who couldn’t even replace Hanson on channel 8. He would never get that job. Broaddus is ok but Babe knows way more since he actually played in the league. You have a top 5 booth in the NFL and want to change it. This board and its hatred never ceases to amaze me. Along with the dumb ideas people come up with
Wow. Saying you would like a change in the booth is not “hatred”. It’s an opinion.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Cole Beasley taking over for Babe Laughing gas would be interesting . He would last 3 quarters before Jerry fired him for being too honest .

Jerry wants glazed donuts in the booth telling fans beating the stuffing out of the likes of the Giants & Commodores is relevant to success in Jan ,

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Even the radio booth is getting dumped on this offseason. This fan base is going after everyone. The cheerleaders may be next.:laugh:

RonWashington

Reaction score
Wow. Saying you would like a change in the booth is not “hatred”. It’s an opinion.

Bob people that are unhinged and not all with it throw around the word “ hatred “ like quarters in a slot machine . Shams a sacred cow in Dallas not to fall under criticism too much for the sensitive crowd.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Even if a DFW local, how does one put themselves in a position to have to listen to the Cowboys on the radio?

I’d figure you’re either busy elsewhere or in front of a TV.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I watch the games on TV but occasionally I’ll catch Sham & Laughing gas on radio and Sham in particular has been too long in the saddle .

Tell you what if I owned a team I would let a radio duo do my games 8 yrs max then it’s time for a fresh perspective. Shams folksy it’s “ only a game “ mantra after another bitter loss in particular is worn out.

Joe Trahan locally on ch 8 seems like an ideal radio play by play dude with maybe Broadus analyzing the mistakes .

:facepalm:
Strange that this topic is coming up because a lot of fans post that they can’t stand listening to the network announcers and would rather listen to the Cowboys radio broadcast. This may be the first time I’ve heard criticism of the Cowboys radio crew.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
Sham is one of the best in the NFL. Trahan is a spare who couldn’t even replace Hanson on channel 8. He would never get that job. Broaddus is ok but Babe knows way more since he actually played in the league. You have a top 5 booth in the NFL and want to change it. This board and its hatred never ceases to amaze me. Along with the dumb ideas people come up with
If you’re amazed now just wait for our next replies.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It’s funny Sham tried baseball not long ago and came to the conclusion 162 games the heck with that . Give me 17 Cowboy games and a first round exit and it’s a long long vacation season . Eric Nadel another broadcaster too long in the Texas Rangers booth
Wow. Eric Nader still calls the games? Gave up baseball a long time ago but he was the broadcaster when I was a kid listening to Rangers games. If you think about it though, Harry Caray, Jack Buck, Pat Summerall, Chick Hearn… huge list of broadcasters who teams kept until the final days. Sweet gig!