Raiders/Cowboys game draws huge rating

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Cowboys always have great ratings!!

Yup, we showed yet again we're ratings gold. Jerry when he sees ratings like this:

pervertido-the-grinch.gif

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Someone asked the question in another thread, if the League was fixed why would they not make the Cowboys successful since they are the most popular team in the league. And this is the reason why..the Cowboys fan base is big, but the Dallas hate club is even bigger. There is not a team in the league whose fans don't love to see the Cowboys lose...so what is best for the league from a viewership perspective is for the Cowboys to always be on the border of being good and to come up short....they know Cowboys fans are diehard (just look at how popular they are without winning anything for the past 25 years) so they aren't going anywhere. the rival fan base (Stephen A Smith types) loves to see us get our hopes up only to be disappointed.

That is the justification that the game is fixed.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Someone asked the question in another thread, if the League was fixed why would they not make the Cowboys successful since they are the most popular team in the league. And this is the reason why..the Cowboys fan base is big, but the Dallas hate club is even bigger. There is not a team in the league whose fans don't love to see the Cowboys lose...so what is best for the league from a viewership perspective is for the Cowboys to always be on the border of being good and to come up short....they know Cowboys fans are diehard (just look at how popular they are without winning anything for the past 25 years) so they aren't going anywhere. the rival fan base (Stephen A Smith types) loves to see us get our hopes up only to be disappointed.

Really? You don't think the longer Dallas stays in the hunt, the longer people will tune in to either watch them win or watch them go down in flames? That seems like some cognitive dissonance right there.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yes, and this game will be forever remembered as the referee game.

No one should think the Hocuhli family is upset over that.

A perfect job by a referee is to be unnoticed. That isn't the goal of him or the old man.

I'd keep saying they need to revamp the whole thing, but I'm not sure Goodell doesn't eat it up that people are talking about it.

Union or not, I have no idea how they continue to fail and refuse to do much about it....but any owner who barks will be quickly reminded of the golden goose.

Seriously, having dudes in their 50s and 60s chasing around elite athletes and asked to make split second decisions is an extremely flawed system from go.

ryanbabs

Reaction score

True but imagine them in another Super Bowl. Love vs. Hate. Good vs. Evil…:laugh:

Brooksey

Reaction score

When Dallas covers Vegas books generally lose to the biggest fan base. We were 7-0 against the spread this year, now we’re 7-4. It’s has nothing to do with ratings, we watch no matter what

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Really? You don't think the longer Dallas stays in the hunt, the longer people will tune in to either watch them win or watch them go down in flames? That seems like some cognitive dissonance right there.

If the conspiracy theory is true (and I am not necessarily saying it is), I believe the NFL would attempt to influence the outcome, and not dictate it, i.e. minimize the exposure of getting caught doing it. Injuries, talent, and luck will still be at play, but officials can put their thumb on the scale and force the team to overcome their opponent and the official. More often it works the way they want it, but sometimes it doesn't.

I also hear some say don't blame the refs, just be more discipline...the counter argument to this is all teams probably commit a penalty on at least every other play, it's the officials who have to decide which ones they call. I find it hard to believe we could be one of the most penalized team under 4 different HCs and completely different players...yet that is the case. Things that make you go hmmmm.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

My argument against this is that when Dallas is good, the ratings are even better. The reason this game was most watched is because fans think Dallas is a Super Bowl contender this year. So the league does benefit when Dallas wins, even if part of those tuned in are hoping they lose.

I've really never understood why the Cowboys don't get the calls or no-calls that would err on the side of helping them succeed, since it helps the league's ratings. The only thing I can think of is that billionaire owners are more caught up in petty jealousy than they are in making more money. Otherwise, they would have their officials on alert to not try to do anything to contribute to Dallas losing. Close calls pick up the flag or err toward Dallas.