Rams and Steelers helped us win the NFC east inspite of our GM

Macnalty

Reaction score
Hat is off to you Jason Garrett well done especially with our GM, few could coexist with his ego and you did it with grace and poise.

I want to state my opinion that if Aaron Donald/Ryan Shazier had not been chosen by the Rams and Steelers we would have one of them on our team and we would be praying for some help in this last game against the Skins, or worse already deeply studying the college talent for the draft. I believe Martin is going to be one of the best guards to ever play for the boys and I can almost see the writing on the wall that they will try him at RT(he will probably be just as good). I only wish his being drafted was the plan all along from the front office, as I am sure this narrative is going to get blurred the further we get into the playoffs and no doubt Jerry will fail to correct the notion. I do give credit for DeMarcus Lawrence and Hitchens to the front office, I still have hope for Devin Street and Ben Gardner. If you are like me you probably feel sorry for Sean Lee and Justin Durant as they epitomizes the right kind of guy for the boys and my thoughts are with them to come back next year stronger than ever. Thanks again Rams and Steelers

jrumann59

Reaction score
Hat is off to you Jason Garrett well done especially with our GM, few could coexist with his ego and you did it with grace and poise.

I want to state my opinion that if Aaron Donald/Ryan Shazier had not been chosen by the Rams and Steelers we would have one of them on our team and we would be praying for some help in this last game against the Skins, or worse already deeply studying the college talent for the draft. I believe Martin is going to be one of the best guards to ever play for the boys and I can almost see the writing on the wall that they will try him at RT(he will probably be just as good). I only wish his being drafted was the plan all along from the front office, as I am sure this narrative is going to get blurred the further we get into the playoffs and no doubt Jerry will fail to correct the notion. I do give credit for DeMarcus Lawrence and Hitchens to the front office, I still have hope for Devin Street and Ben Gardner. If you are like me you probably feel sorry for Sean Lee and Justin Durant as they epitomizes the right kind of guy for the boys and my thoughts are with them to come back next year stronger than ever. Thanks again Rams and Steelers

I really never liked this thinking. Unless you are in the top 5 slots you have to have Plan A, B, C, D, E, etc. Every draft when you are middle of the pack on down YOUR guy is hardly there and you have to go to contingency. If anything I applaud the front office not trying to be cute.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Not nearly as much as Stephen for stopping Jerruh from drafting Johnny Football.

I don't really think that story has much truth to it, but not getting him was more beneficial than not getting those other guys.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
Martin has been great but Donald has really come on late in the season. I'll take Martin but Donald would have been good as well.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

so I take it your plan, all along, was to take the players that in time prove to be worth the value from which they were picked?

the rams and steelers can kiss my ***, thanks romo and the cowboys for a hell of a season so far.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Donald would have been a great pick as well. Especially if you are able to follow that pick with a good OL in the 2nd ie. Bitonio.

tm1119

Reaction score
So if I'm reading this right Zach Martin is the sole reason we are good this year and an upgrade to the front 7 would have hurt us?

I mean I guess you are entitled to your opinion....but wow.

visionary

Reaction score
I really never liked this thinking. Unless you are in the top 5 slots you have to have Plan A, B, C, D, E, etc. Every draft when you are middle of the pack on down YOUR guy is hardly there and you have to go to contingency. If anything I applaud the front office not trying to be cute.

I agree with this
you have your top choices and cant predict how things will fall
the FO deserves credit for not drafting johnny football
I think Donald would have been a great pick as wall but Martin is even better

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Next year Aaron Donald will turn into the beast and much like with JJ Watt it will be lamented that we didn't take him even though we got a great player at a position of dire need.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Next year Aaron Donald will turn into the beast and much like with JJ Watt it will be lamented that we didn't take him even though we got a great player at a position of dire need.

Of course, we couldn't have taken Donald (unless we traded up for him), but for some that will be beside the point.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Look, change isn't an excuse for some several year too lame excuses chunked at Jerry Jones.

Clean your own boxers out before chunking buffalo chips at a fully functional team despite non-stop coulda, woulda, shoulda's aimed at anyone of importance in the Dallas organization. Merely sweeping the buffalo chips accumulated towards an final protective insult for a bonfire at the foot of Jerry. C'mon, how lame do you haters want to appeal, with a 11-12 win season that had Jason Garrett and Tony Romo walking the plank along with a historically 'bad' defense as well.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
I forgot bout street and gardener... what's up with those two?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Of course, we couldn't have taken Donald (unless we traded up for him), but for some that will be beside the point.
Dallas had in order Barr, Donald, Shazier, and Martin. The three they had ahead of Martin all could have come here and all could have played very solid. Martin has been the best pick we could have gotten. I'll thank benevolent fate and be giddy.

reddyuta

Reaction score

indeed ,i bet we would drafted donald and beckham if they were there at 16,its just how the draft goes and it worked out for us.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Dallas had in order Barr, Donald, Shazier, and Martin. The three they had ahead of Martin all could have come here and all could have played very solid. Martin has been the best pick we could have gotten. I'll thank benevolent fate and be giddy.

I know what the order of preference was. I was just saying that, as you said, some will rue that we didn't take Donald, and forget the fact that he was already gone. I was hoping for Donald or Shazier, but I was also happy to get Martin, because I saw what he did at Notre Dame, and I felt like we were getting someone who was just as smart and just as good as Frederick.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I know what the order of preference was. I was just saying that, as you said, some will rue that we didn't take Donald, and forget the fact that he was already gone. I was hoping for Donald or Shazier, but I was also happy to get Martin, because I saw what he did at Notre Dame, and I felt like we were getting someone who was just as smart and just as good as Frederick.
I was agreeing with you.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I can't take a shot at the GM for that. All you can do is make the decision on players that are available.

You can do that what if for anyone. Jimmy wasn't targeting Emmitt Smith initially. He reacted to the picks made in front of him. I'm not about to discredit him for it.

Macnalty

Reaction score
I can't take a shot at the GM for that. All you can do is make the decision on players that are available.

You can do that what if for anyone. Jimmy wasn't targeting Emmitt Smith initially. He reacted to the picks made in front of him. I'm not about to discredit him for it.

I hope this post would be more about the fact that Jerry is getting so much attention for being the architect of this Oline when those who follow closely knew that was far from the truth.
I have heard several times today about how Jerry put the team together especially this oline and each time in my mind I knew Martin was his last choice. thanks for letting me vent.

slomoxn

Reaction score
I hope this post would be more about the fact that Jerry is getting so much attention for being the architect of this Oline when those who follow closely knew that was far from the truth.
I have heard several times today about how Jerry put the team together especially this oline and each time in my mind I knew Martin was his last choice. thanks for letting me vent.

That's good Jerry is getting the props, if it is indeed someone else finally getting him to follow a set plan and have a contingency if it doesn't work out fine. Garrett is obviously ok with being second fiddle, the people around the league know the deal but the best part is as long as he is getting his face planted everywhere and everyone is toasting his decisions Jerry will allow those that are REALLY building this team to go on building it... Whatever faults Garrett has his ego isn't one of them and with all the bashing including mine Garrett has despite having an owner like Jones quietly built a solid football team.

We wanted a Harbaugh type of job from Garrett; truth is Harbaugh wasn't hamstrung with a messed up cap situation and a front office insistent on making mistake after mistake. (See special teams draft). Jason is the only person with a personality that got Jerry to actually go along with "it didn't work your way, can we try it mine now". So yeah Jerry is probably getting props he doesn't beccessarily deserve but we're winning despite him or not it really doesn't matter. The baffoon finally did something right, he hired the RKG to lead our team.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

Well, if I remember correctly, the Cowboys front office were pretty upset when the NYG took Beckham also. Should we also thank the Giants for taking Beckham? Or would we have been better with Beckham? Or worse?

The Cowboys have some really solid drafts lately. Sometimes, it pays to be lucky. Sometimes the draft just falls to you. Emmitt Smith wasn't the Cowboys first choice on draft day either according to rumor.