Randle's potential

alicetooljam

Reaction score
I dont think anyone thinks Murray isNT better...Murray's durability issues go back to college...Randle didnt have durability issues then, people arent basing it on a game and half... Heres a couple highlight videos for Randle for those who havent seen them...

Im a Sooner fan so Ive seen plenty of him, I was happy to have him with a 5th...

cowboys2233

Reaction score
I dont think anyone thinks Murray is better...Murray's durability issues go back to college...Randle didnt have durability issues then, people arent basing it on a game and half... Heres a couple highlight videos for Randle for those who havent seen them...

Im a Sooner fan so Ive seen plenty of him, I was happy to have him with a 5th...

Frankly, what I see in these video clips is a guy who slows down when making his cuts. He's a stop-start kind of running back. The running backs who are successful at the next level are the guys who can change direction without losing an ounce of speed. Emmitt was the king, and Murray is very good too. Watch his highlights, watch how smoothly he changes direction. It's the reason so many folks were surprised at how fast he ran the 40 at the combine, his cuts are so smooth, you are fooled into believing he is running slower than he is. But then you watch the separation he gains after making those cuts and you realize you're watching a guy with real top end talent.

And for a guy who had durability issues in college, Murray sure put up some ridiculous numbers.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
And that's probably the real issue. Some of you believe you saw real potential in Randle. I did not. While I agree that he seemed to have good vision and saw the running lanes, it took him so freakin' long to GET to those lanes, that they were not nearly as open as they would have been if he had more burst. That's what I see in Murray, a guy who seems to be moving a little bit faster than most of the players on the field, someone who takes full advantage when the lanes do open up. And he is a real physical presence on the field, he can make defenders pay.

You are the one standing on the soap box telling everyone they are wrong if they see a little something in Randle. You are the one so quick to dismiss him. Just because you like Murray doesn't mean that what the rest of us saw isn't reality. I happen to watch the game again and think you are really bashing this kid. He had an all around solid game and he did have a burst you just chose not to see it or care to see it because your mind is already made up. So take a step back and see that you are doing the same thing that you are bashing other people for doing. We all have a right to what we see and it doesn't make us wrong.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
And for a guy who had durability issues in college, Murray sure put up some ridiculous numbers.

In his redshirt freshman year of 2007, Murray suffered a dislocated kneecap late in the season, missed the rest of the campaign, and also was unavailable for spring practice. In 2008, he suffered a hamstring injury during the opening kickoff of the Big 12 championship and missed the BCS title game a month later. Even last year, when he started 14 games, there were questions about his availability for the Big 12 championship game due to a knee injury. That could be one of the reasons why Murray, who rushed for 1,214 yards last season, was on the board in round three of the April draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/30/cowboys-taking-a-big-risk-with-demarco-murray/

cowboys2233

Reaction score
You are the one standing on the soap box telling everyone they are wrong if they see a little something in Randle. You are the one so quick to dismiss him. Just because you like Murray doesn't mean that what the rest of us saw isn't reality. I happen to watch the game again and think you are really bashing this kid. He had an all around solid game and he did have a burst you just chose not to see it or care to see it because your mind is already made up. So take a step back and see that you are doing the same thing that you are bashing other people for doing. We all have a right to what we see and it doesn't make us wrong.

Yes, you have a right to believe whatever you want to believe. It has no bearing on whether you're right or wrong. For what it's worth, I hope you're right.

Hoov

Reaction score
I love his pass catching ability. I think he looks like a natural WR more than an RB. If he can pass protect then make plays catching out of the backfield, we are CRAZY dangerous.

He looks very fluid catching balls out of the backfield, that is the best word i can think of. He just looks so smooth and like you said "natural" in that role.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Im a Sooner fan, dont think Ive missed a game since '85, I love Demarco, always have, but he's peanut brittle...

cowboys2233

Reaction score
In his redshirt freshman year of 2007, Murray suffered a dislocated kneecap late in the season, missed the rest of the campaign, and also was unavailable for spring practice. In 2008, he suffered a hamstring injury during the opening kickoff of the Big 12 championship and missed the BCS title game a month later. Even last year, when he started 14 games, there were questions about his availability for the Big 12 championship game due to a knee injury. That could be one of the reasons why Murray, who rushed for 1,214 yards last season, was on the board in round three of the April draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/30/cowboys-taking-a-big-risk-with-demarco-murray/

Murray has weak kneecaps!! LOL.

Deep_South

Reaction score
DeMarco was fifth in the NFL in rushing before the game he was injured. He's still 12th, in front of Knowshon Moreno, Chris Johnson, Reggie Bush, and many other good running backs.

btcutter

Reaction score
Randle is ok.

What I really like to see is if Dunbar can be the RB with speed and juke. That's what we are missing from the RB position. We need someone like Sproles (sp) or J Rogers. Who can take a swing pass and make a few miss and maybe even taking it to the house (when was the last time that happened?!)

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
What I've understood is that the "Trade Murray!" crowd seems to be growing and I'm just not sure what they're seeing. Picture this, we've won the division and we're facing the Seattle Seahawks or San Fran 49ers in the first round of the playoffs. Who do you want to see standing in the backfield behind Romo facing either of those stout defenses? If it is Randle back there, I think we're doomed because we will have virtually no threat of a running game. With Murray? Game on. So yes, I'm willing to hold onto Murray, knowing that there is a chance he won't be available, because he offers us hope if and when we reach the playoffs. Without hope, there is nothing. And with Randle, there is no hope. JMHO.

I really appreciate the civil response. You used ABQ's post and he didn't insinuate anything other than IF we could count on him that would be good.

I don't see that many anxious to trade Murray outside of some vocal few compared to the fan base here. What RB has a lot of trade value anyway? Not a lot and Murray has had problems staying on the field. So I don't take that seriously.

As to your post, I agree. We want Murray if possible. I see Randle as a solid RB if he is picking up his blocks properly. I like having a stable of RBs with at least two steady every down backs and I like one specialty back like Dunbar.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Randle

Pros- Patient
Follows and sets up blocks
Good lean and falls forward
Decent acceleration when open and to and thru hole
Hits hole well without dancing or tiptoeing
Gets skinny well
Catches ball well
?Blocking

Cons-not a lot of missem altho manages to get thru some traffic
No breakaway speed
Doesn't appear to break tackles really well but isn't hand or arm tackled??
No quicks

Hoov

Reaction score
I really appreciate the civil response. You used ABQ's post and he didn't insinuate anything other than IF we could count on him that would be good.

I don't see that many anxious to trade Murray outside of some vocal few compared to the fan base here. What RB has a lot of trade value anyway? Not a lot and Murray has had problems staying on the field. So I don't take that seriously.

As to your post, I agree. We want Murray if possible. I see Randle as a solid RB if he is picking up his blocks properly. I like having a stable of RBs with at least two steady every down backs and I like one specialty back like Dunbar.

Yes. RB's take a beating in the NFL. Look at the Giants on their 4th RB already this year. I like the idea of 2 everydown or complete backs and 1 specialty back as well.

BaybeeJay

Reaction score
Needs to gain weight and strength. He's listed 10lbs lighter than Dwayne Harris.

Murray is still, by far, the best back on the roster.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Randle

Pros- Patient
Follows and sets up blocks
Good lean and falls forward
Decent acceleration when open and to and thru hole
Hits hole well without dancing or tiptoeing
Gets skinny well
Catches ball well
?Blocking

Cons-not a lot of missem altho manages to get thru some traffic
No breakaway speed
Doesn't appear to break tackles really well but isn't hand or arm tackled??
No quicks

Well, I do think of Randle as average right now, maybe he will get a bit better with experience but with RBs you can usually tell pretty quickly if they have it or they don't. I see Murray as an above average RB, but far from great. With our history, its pretty obvious we are used to greatness from the position and the problem is neither Murray or Randle are great.

I think we should continue to look for greatness at the position, and continue to draft guys for the position. If Miles stays, we could see a RB drafted pretty high, but if Miles leaves WR moves up our needs more. This team still needs alot, but Romo isn't the type of QB that can carry this team by himself. He needs alot of weapons around him, and that starts at WR and RB. Not ready to commit to Murray long term, and while it will really upset some people come draft time, WR and RB could end up being pretty high on our draft board.

honyock

Reaction score
Well, first off, I've always had an issue with this notion of "durability issues," especially with regard to the types of injuries Murray has suffered. Broken ankle, sprained MCL. These are just freak things that happen, they are not chronic, recurring issues (like Austin's stupid hamhocks). Again, what would you rather have, the hope of having a very good back when the games really count (i.e. playoffs) or the assurance of having a mediocre one?

LIke I said, I agree that Murray is the better back and I'd rather have him healthy and starting down the stretch and in the playoffs. No disagreement there.

I'd guess there are more here who were encouraged by what they saw from Randle on Sunday, and like having him on the roster as a backup to Murray who should be starting when he's healthy again, than there are in the "trade Murray" crowd. After the season, who knows? I don't know if there is any accuracy to the rumors that the team might not see Murray in their plans for the future. I doubt he's here after his rookie contract but that's still a ways away.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
I don't know if there is any accuracy to the rumors that the team might not see Murray in their plans for the future. I doubt he's here after his rookie contract but that's still a ways away.

I did forget Murray isn't a FA til 2015, so our backups are decent if healthy, but that changes what I said in my previous post......Murray is too cheap to just get rid of, but in 2015 I would definitely be looking for someone else cause Randle definitely isn't the answer longer term either.

honyock

Reaction score
I did forget Murray isn't a FA til 2015, so our backups are decent if healthy, but that changes what I said in my previous post......Murray is too cheap to just get rid of, but in 2015 I would definitely be looking for someone else cause Randle definitely isn't the answer longer term either.

Yeah, I couldn't remember how long the rookie contracts ran when he was drafted, but you're right, we have him relatively cheap this year and next (Rotoworld has his cap hit at $755,00 in 2014). We might have Murray starter/Randle backup next year as well, then some changes coming like you say in 2015.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Yeah, I couldn't remember how long the rookie contracts ran when he was drafted, but you're right, we have him relatively cheap this year and next (Rotoworld has his cap hit at $755,00 in 2014). We might have Murray starter/Randle backup next year as well, then some changes coming like you say in 2015.

You know, I like Murray, but I let him walk then. RBs have a limited shelf life anyway, and he is good but not great enough to bring back at this point. You can't always let talent just walk out the door, but at that position, youth dominates and if the guy isn't great there is no reason to resign him unless we have too many holes to fill at that point or he all of sudden plays out of his mind (which can happen cause he has talent).

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Well, I do think of Randle as average right now, maybe he will get a bit better with experience but with RBs you can usually tell pretty quickly if they have it or they don't. I see Murray as an above average RB, but far from great. With our history, its pretty obvious we are used to greatness from the position and the problem is neither Murray or Randle are great.

I think we should continue to look for greatness at the position, and continue to draft guys for the position. If Miles stays, we could see a RB drafted pretty high, but if Miles leaves WR moves up our needs more. This team still needs alot, but Romo isn't the type of QB that can carry this team by himself. He needs alot of weapons around him, and that starts at WR and RB. Not ready to commit to Murray long term, and while it will really upset some people come draft time, WR and RB could end up being pretty high on our draft board.

I agree they are 'average' although I'd use solid starters. I do think Randle has to prove that he is that but I think he'll do that. I don't think you need more than that anymore although it's great to have it. I just wouldn't spend a lot of assets to acquire a 'great' RB.