Randy Gregory Extended

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the FO tries to reinvent the wheel and that's always been there downfall. Why extend a guy that honestly, may never play another down of football again? Unless they are privy to info we do not know at this time. This looks like purely a cap move...to just move money and free it up before the draft.I think by extending him we gain some flexibility cap wise.

It is not a "cap move". If he plays all of 2019 this would only free up about 100K in cap space. They can free up 10s of millions by restructuring other contracts.

This is just to give the player a small amount now in exchange for him playing an extra year at the NFL minimum. It's money he would get anyway if he plays in 2019. They are just giving it to him now which prevents the NFL from withholding that from him if he is suspended this season.

It appears that he missed a drug test as opposed to failing one. He has been a "good soldier" other than the Weed issues. That is much different than David Irving who caused problems even when he was not suspended.

Imagine if when DLaw got suspended they had gotten another year from him for 755K instead of the 17M they paid him last year.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

This is like a bad dream.
Gregory could b slap Jerry's wife and Jerry would still fund him.
I can imagine other players watching in wonder. Foolish, suspension-inducing behavior is now acceptable. Maybe they can get away with something also, they are thinking.
Gregory begats the breaking of the damn as to bad behavior and not following the rules.
Maybe Jerry should be suspended.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Typical dumb front office we have. Move on from this dude. It sucks his career is getting wrecked by harmless weed but those are the rules and everyone knows them. He can't be counted on at all to stay on the field so what do we do? Extend him! Never fails with us. Circus show.
Absolutely right. I'm sick of it.

Since we're always bringing up the Patriots, I wonder what they would do?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The tea leaves either indicate that the team believes Gregory will play, or they are just hoping against hope. Let's hope as fans that it's the former and not the latter.

Just taking care of business. The money we're talking about is a tip for a starting DE, not a salary. I wouldn't read much into this action.

I read more into the increasingly optimistic frame team comments put on Gregory. Sad -> Hope he can come back -> Has a chance to come back this year -> Unsure whether he'll play this year.

kskboys

Reaction score
Clearly Jerry desperately trying to prove he's a football guy. He mistakenly believes that if this guy finally pans out it'll prove him worthy. Silly boy.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It is not a "cap move". If he plays all of 2019 this would only free up about 100K in cap space. They can free up 10s of millions by restructuring other contracts.

This is just to give the player a small amount now in exchange for him playing an extra year at the NFL minimum. It's money he would get anyway if he plays in 2019. They are just giving it to him now which prevents the NFL from withholding that from him if he is suspended this season.

It appears that he missed a drug test as opposed to failing one. He has been a "good soldier" other than the Weed issues. That is much different than David Irving who caused problems even when he was not suspended.

Imagine if when DLaw got suspended they had gotten another year from him for 755K instead of the 17M they paid him last year.
If RGregory plays in 2019 then he would have been a RFA in 2020..... that would require a 1st Round tender of 4m or a 2nd round tag of 3m .... this keeps him much cheaper at 730k + incentives

That is a good deal for a 300k payday advance

If he doesn't play in 2019 then we get him at the same contract in 2020 as this year and rights to him in 2021

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
the FO tries to reinvent the wheel and that's always been there downfall. Why extend a guy that honestly, may never play another down of football again? Unless they are privy to info we do not know at this time. This looks like purely a cap move...to just move money and free it up before the draft.I think by extending him we gain some flexibility cap wise.

It looks like we picked up an extra $100K on the cap...………...not a lot of money, but every bit helps I guess.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Absolutely right. I'm sick of it.

Since we're always bringing up the Patriots, I wonder what they would do?
You are right, Im sure Josh Gordon is looking for a job right now......ooooops.. I forgot, the Patriots are waiting for him with open arms..... dumb arse

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Clearly Jerry desperately trying to prove he's a football guy. He mistakenly believes that if this guy finally pans out it'll prove him worthy. Silly boy.
Gregory will kick Jerry in the nuts every time.
I cannot believe, ruffians and harbor oafs, that Jerry is surrounded by idiots who believe in Gregory.
Daft.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Can anyone explain this? I understand that it saves some money by getting to keep him for cheap after his new suspension. But it seems like we've been giving way too many chances to this guy. Unless we have a strong feeling that he won't be suspended, this just sends a really bad message.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
When is the next CBA meeting. I am guessing there will be some rule changes to the drug policy.

I don't know, the NFL owners are a bunch of old white men, generally a very conservative bunch, may be some slight changes about pot, maybe a reduction in the amount of fines or reduction in the amount of suspended time for instance, but I just don't see the owners making pot use allowable except maybe for a player who's being treated for cancer, in which case he's probably not playing anyway.

But it's such a sensitive issue, could be very volatile...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

It sends a message that talent (or the perception of) is what matters, that if you're a talented guy allowances will be made.

Of course in some ways that's always been the case, Dorsett's contract was "reworked" years ago, when contracts were pretty well set in stone and unchangeable until they expired, when he got in a financial bind. His talent and performance level was the highest, or near the highest, on the team, so he got special treatment. And who knows, maybe the other players were asked about doing that before it was done (doubtful, though) so it wouldn't cause problems...

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
As long as Gregory doesn't cost a roster spot against the 53, than I could care less how much they pay on a possible future investment.
A starting roster spot is much more valuable than Gregory at this point, makes room for another Olawale expenditure.