Randy Gregory is an absolute monster right now

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It’s the bye week and I feel like this needs to be pointed out. I’m sure everyone knows it by now but it’s incredible what he is doing.

These QBs are getting rid of the ball quick or he would have a ton of sacks right now because he is shedding guys and closing on QBs quick.

Also he is great in the run game. The guy is just performing like an elite edge rusher.

He is easily this teams #1 FA priority this off-season and far and away our best DL.

If Lawrence is anything close to Gregory when he gets back then this defense is going to be nasty.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me. I've always said if he had played during our playoff game against the Packers in 2016, we would have won.

He is that quick and disruptive, and I always thought that if he played a full season, he would be dynamic.

I think this opens the door for DeMarcus Lawrence also. I think he'll be more motivated when he comes back. I think our sacks stats and/or interceptions will skyrocket when we get the entire defensive line back.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Remember all those posts over the summer from people chastising those of us who thought Gregory had a chance to really go off this season?

"Yeah we're counting on a guy who only has __ sacks to suddenly become dominant.."
"He's never sniffed double digit sacks blah blah blah..."

People who watched closely have always seen Randy's potential.. Full disclosure after the first couple of seasons when he had the weed problems I was fully on board the "get rid of him" train. However as I listened to the Cowboys Podcasts and got to know a little more about his story I softened my stance on that because dude was not some party all the time pothead.. He was a kid with internal demons who needed help rather than some useless idiot to be discarded. I applaud the Joneses for listening to fans like me and standing by the guy. I hope he realizes what a HUGE favor they did him and doesn't try to break the bank on them this offseason.

zerofill

Reaction score
I don't think anyone questioned the ability, so much as being able to fix his demons and not becoming another Rolando McClain, and a distraction.

They aren't suspending for marijuana anymore. So now he can smoke his blunts and play. That is probably the big difference lol.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Remember all those posts over the summer from people chastising those of us who thought Gregory had a chance to really go off this season?

"Yeah we're counting on a guy who only has __ sacks to suddenly become dominant.."
"He's never sniffed double digit sacks blah blah blah..."

People who watched closely have always seen Randy's potential.. Full disclosure after the first couple of seasons when he had the weed problems I was fully on board the "get rid of him" train. However as I listened to the Cowboys Podcasts and got to know a little more about his story I softened my stance on that because dude was not some party all the time pothead.. He was a kid with internal demons who needed help rather than some useless idiot to be discarded. I applaud the Joneses for listening to fans like me and standing by the guy. I hope he realizes what a HUGE favor they did him and doesn't try to break the bank on them this offseason.

Nearly everything Dallas has needed to go right for them has gone right for them.

There is a reason Gregory would’ve been a first rounder and as we all know there is a reason we drafted him in round 2.

Dallas paid the price and now they are getting some legit return on investment.

Also, I never saw him being this complete of a player. He’s stout against the run and his block shedding is as good as anyone’s.

zerofill

Reaction score
It’s incredible what OL get away with vs Dallas.

When Parsons was at end it was just a hold fest.

You played football though right?
I was a defensive end in high school. Said before I graduated with Joe Galloway.

I used to get so pissed off being held even back then. But you stumble a bit as a DE and make their jersey pull a little and you get a penalty.
You always having to be open handed, while they just grab you under the pads lol...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I thought they should have cut ties years ago.

Glad they didn't, I was wrong.

Let's hope we don't have to wait years to get that sam level of production from Joseph.

Edit: just want to clarify, Im not referring to Joseph as if he's got substance abuse issues. I compare him to Gregory because he's also a 2nd round pick. My brain was thinking"hey, Diggs and now Gregory, if Joseph pans out we may break the 2nd round curse"

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It’s the bye week and I feel like this needs to be pointed out. I’m sure everyone knows it by now but it’s incredible what he is doing.

These QBs are getting rid of the ball quick or he would have a ton of sacks right now because he is shedding guys and closing on QBs quick.

Also he is great in the run game. The guy is just performing like an elite edge rusher.

He is easily this teams #1 FA priority this off-season and far and away our best DL.

If Lawrence is anything close to Gregory when he gets back then this defense is going to be nasty.

He appears to have found his groove. We've seen flashes of it before, but he's doing it with consistency now. Of course, it's possible that he wasn't able to consistently be there because Nolan wasn't being consistent with his snaps. Some players get on a roll the more that they play.

I know some are going to worry about re-signing him, but that will be a good problem to have if he can keep up this level of play. Won't be surprised if his numbers get even better when Lawrence returns. Having him on the other side is a major step up from players like Golston and Basham.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I thought they should have cut ties years ago.

Glad they didn't, I was wrong.

Let's hope we don't have to wait years to get that sam level of production from Joseph.

Edit: just want to clarify, Im not referring to Joseph as if he's got substance abuse issues. I compare him to Gregory because he's also a 2nd round pick. My brain was thinking"hey, Diggs and now Gregory, if Joseph pans out we may break the 2nd round curse"

I feel good about Joseph.

What’s concerning is he did get kicked out of LSU so you wonder where his head is but he was recruited by every big school you can think of including Alabama and most likely is a 1st round pick had he stayed at LSU.

He was one of the only guys to pick of Mac Jones and do we’ll guarding Smith.

Just watching him he looks the part.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me. I've always said if he had played during our playoff game against the Packers in 2016, we would have won.

He is that quick and disruptive, and I always thought that if he played a full season, he would be dynamic.

I think this opens the door for DeMarcus Lawrence also. I think he'll be more motivated when he comes back. I think our sacks stats and/or interceptions will skyrocket when we get the entire defensive line back.

Don't know about more motivated, Lawrence always seems to give 110 percent effort when he's out there. But actually getting some more consistent pressure from the other side and Odighizuwa should help him see fewer double-teams as well as teams having to worry about Parsons pass-rushing from his LB spot. Lawrence has to be champing at the bit over that considering how many times in his career he's been doubled or chipped.

If Gallimore can add to the pass-rushing push, this line against the pass (at least) could be pretty scary.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Hopefully he'll give the Cowboys a discount for sticking with him during his "troubles".

Honestly, I've never smoked weed but never saw an issue with it. I've drank a lot of alcohol and I doubt weed is as bad as that.

And it's calorie free. As soon as Texas joins the 21st century and legalizes it I'll buying another humidor and stocking up. :D

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hopefully he'll give the Cowboys a discount for sticking with him during his "troubles".

Honestly, I've never smoked weed but never saw an issue with it. I've drank a lot of alcohol and I doubt weed is as bad as that.

And it's calorie free. As soon as Texas joins the 21st century and legalizes it I'll buying another humidor and stocking up. :D

The guy owes everything to the Dallas Cowboys organization. It would be a slap in the face if he pulls a Dak during contract negotiations.

Beaker42

Reaction score

How good would he be if he hadn’t been MIA for 4+ seasons……

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
Isn't it funny how they all play awesome in the last year of their contract?