Texas Rangers

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
So was at my daughters pep rally today and for the second time Jon Daniels sat right behind me. First time was a couple of months back so I didn't say much but today I thanked him for all his work and helping create the roster. He shook my hand and really appreciated it. The guy should get some love.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Anyone here at the parade? Can’t say I’m a Rangers fan, but it’s nice to see a team who’d never won a championship get the chance to celebrate with their fans, and it’s also cool that I’m watching it from the U.K. on Dallas Fox 4 (KDFW)
You have to love the magic of the internet lol

Blackspider214

Reaction score
So was at my daughters pep rally today and for the second time Jon Daniels sat right behind me. First time was a couple of months back so I didn't say much but today I thanked him for all his work and helping create the roster. He shook my hand and really appreciated it. The guy should get some love.
He deserves some credit but when Chris Young came in in 2020 to take over GM, the team really took off. Daniels was apart of this team sliding to the depths they went and ownership knew it needed a change. Ever since the 2016 season, this team was very bad and never even close to a contender. Definitely time for a change. Daniels wouldn't have made the moves Chris Young did to put us over the top.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
He deserves some credit but when Chris Young came in in 2020 to take over GM, the team really took off. Daniels was apart of this team sliding to the depths they went and ownership knew it needed a change. Ever since the 2016 season, this team was very bad and never even close to a contender. Definitely time for a change. Daniels wouldn't have made the moves Chris Young did to put us over the top.
Listen, I agree completely on the moves and what Chris Young has brought. I thought Daniels had worn out his welcome and was already in a bad spot with his dust up with Nolan. But I believe he was part of the group still when they signed some of these big names. I just wanted him to know the effort was appreciated and he seemed to appreciate that. But don't think the Bochy move or anything like that happens with him.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Listen, I agree completely on the moves and what Chris Young has brought. I thought Daniels had worn out his welcome and was already in a bad spot with his dust up with Nolan. But I believe he was part of the group still when they signed some of these big names. I just wanted him to know the effort was appreciated and he seemed to appreciate that. But don't think the Bochy move or anything like that happens with him.
Yes, Daniels doesn't make the Bochy hire. Daniels wouldn't want to work with Bochy and vice versa. Daniels wants a guy he can control. Bochy is not going to take being bossed around by geeky Daniels. He would have brought in a no name with no real skins on the wall like he did his entire tenure here. Daniels is sort of like Jerry in that regard. He wants a guy he can easily control. Chris Young hired Bochy and got out of his way.

He was here when the other moves were made but I don't think he was acting GM anymore. He got moved to some cushy higher up job until his contract ran out and they didn't renew. Technically not fired but the same end result. He definitely wore out his welcome for sure. I am not sure how much of a hand he had in the Seager/Semien deals. I also heard those were Chris Young moves. Daniels isn't spending that kind of money on 2 players like that. Those surprised a ton of Rangers fans, because those seem like moves you make when you are right on the verge of winning. I think we were coming off a triple digit loss season. Many scoffed at it and said what was the point when we seem so far away from not just winning a ring, but even being a contender.

Chris Young called Bochy and told him they have something special and were going to be winning very soon. He knew what they had brewing. Bochy agrees and the rest is history.

Good thing is, this wasn't some fluke. Texas will be back next year with a now World Series experienced team and their young guys have another full season and spring training under their belt. The hype around them will be great.

JustChip

Reaction score
For the older local Rangers fans from one - anybody know what happened to Zonk? He was the ever present fan that sat a few rows behind the 1st base dugout and beat a tom-tom. Hope he lived ling enough to see them win it.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It may not have been the most extravagant but today's Texas Rangers Parade sure was fun for me today. I stayed in the designated viewing area the whole time and believe I got to see all the players and staff go by, truck by truck. I enjoyed the speeches and seeing the whole 2023 championship team together on stage one last time. Go Rangers!

T-RO

Reaction score
JD was a bright GM. Brought the Rangers their first success...almost a World Series title. Made many bright moves. Deserves praise for many things.

But he's not Chris Young, IMO. If the Rangers don't bring in Bochy and pitching coach Mike Maddux...Rangers don't even make the playoffs. And those never happen under Daniels in 2023.

The full story won't be known for another five or ten years. You swing-and-miss as a player or as an Exec. I believe in CY, but time will tell.

Last edited:

RonWashington

Reaction score
The finalists for AL Mgr of the yr Kevin Cash Brandon Hyde and the man who should win it hands down BRUCE BOCHY . Man did an outstanding job .

RonWashington

Reaction score
Evan Carter should be switched with Tavares . Take over CF have Tavares in LF . I guess if the Rangers recent # 1 pick an OF makes a spring training impression that’s Grossman roster spot . Good depth .

T-RO

Reaction score
Evan Carter should be switched with Tavares . Take over CF have Tavares in LF . I guess if the Rangers recent # 1 pick an OF makes a spring training impression that’s Grossman roster spot . Good depth .
If you want to move Carter to CF...which is a move with which I have some sympathy...you really ought to trade Traveras. Leody's natural position is CF and he has more value there.

There are, however, marketing/diversity issues at play in the Texas market which deserve consideration. While the last generation of great Ranger teams were overwhelmingly Latin...this team's future construction could push that pendulum too far in a different direction.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I think Tavares consistently took bad angles on balls hit CF during post season . Having said that LF might allow him to get comfortable which would translate to offense . The guy smacked what 15 Hr’s drove in close to 70 from the bottom of the order not bad at all , and he’s one of few Rangers with speed . Reluctant to trade him when he finally seems to be rounding into a major leaguer .

RonWashington

Reaction score
So you clean Brandon Hyde’s clock in post season Bochy wins his 4th WS and Hyde takes mgr of the yr . Are these ballots cast in Sept ?

:facepalm:

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
For the older local Rangers fans from one - anybody know what happened to Zonk? He was the ever present fan that sat a few rows behind the 1st base dugout and beat a tom-tom. Hope he lived ling enough to see them win it.
I had to google it, apparently he passed in 2021-I remember him well....RIP

RonWashington

Reaction score
Bradford Sborz LeClerc Burke some pieces in that bullpen for 24 . Interesting to see spring training pitching starters & bullpen . Maybe Jon Gray more valuable to Texas out of the pen that one WS game he was brilliant .

The offense the starting 8 seems pretty set . Back up catcher spare OF / DH options questions . Thrilled they won the WS the flag flying in the OF will be wonderful opening day .