Rank Dallas Cowboy coaches from worst to best

BigMac6

Reaction score
IMHO Parcels had built something from nothing. He had recreated a team with attitude and discipline after the Campo years and enthusiasm in the fan base (at least I had it).Every sunday their teams played at 100% and I'm not sold that the #1 ranked defense had been a Zimmer factor only since he (BP) used to be a defensive mastermind.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I'd probably put Parcells right around where Gailey is at. I thought Parcells was horrible here and in my eyes Sean Payton should be coaching here if it wasn't for Bill. I give Parcells credit for the culture change. That's something that is once again much needed right now. But as a talent evaluator? The game had passed him by.

Sean Payton would have never been here if not for Parcells.

Remember, Payton was outcasted from NY prior and had his play calling duties taken away by Jim Fassel who hired and offensive consultant on route to them making it to the Super Bowl and losing it to the Ravens.

By the way, last HC gig Fassel had coming to him was that non competitive league Mark Cuban was trying to put together but failed.

Payton we know his current history of course.

BigMac6

Reaction score
BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, in 2003 Dallas made the playoffs with Quincy Carter and Troy Hambrick. If I'm right (not sold on it since I'm getting older) that was not really a failure.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Landry - by a mile
Jimmy
Bill
Of the rest, other than an interim sitting job, only 1 got a HC job after the Cowboys and it was a total disaster with the Bills. That pretty much tells you all you need to know about Jerry's quality hires other than Jimmy and the stadium getter that was forced upon him.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smh. Wow. I would think this was a complete joke, but then I saw who posted it....

I'm sure you would! And I'm happy to discuss your take, if you're willing to share it. I mean, other than just sniping at mine.

bark

Reaction score
Landry - by a mile
Jimmy
Bill
Of the rest, other than an interim sitting job, only 1 got a HC job after the Cowboys and it was a total disaster with the Bills. That pretty much tells you all you need to know about Jerry's quality hires other than Jimmy and the stadium getter that was forced upon him.

Someone brought some sense to this thread. My only correction... Landry by a mile and half

bark

Reaction score
It amazes me how much our own fans under appreciate coach Landry .....

Fellas let this sink in... He was his OWN offensive AND defensive coordinator ....

Geez we had to take away Garrett's play calling just so he could be a better game manager...
Battled the greatest dynasties the nfl has every known and won Super Bowls in that era.
Invented the 4-3 flex defense to counter Lombardi's packers on defense and reintroduced the shotgun and motion to the offense. Always had some tricks and gadgets and knew when to bring them out during a game.
In the history of the Dallas cowboys coaching there is no one close to tom Landry

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
I'm sure you would! And I'm happy to discuss your take, if you're willing to share it. I mean, other than just sniping at mine.

landry>johnson >>>> parcells>switzer >>>>> wade phillips>>>dave campo >>> garrett>chan gailey

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
1. Jimster - Created the best Team in NFL History

2. Landry

3. Parcells

4. Switzer

5. Wade

6. Gailey

7. Campo

8. Garrett

Campo gets the nod over Garrett because Campo could win 5 games with the worst talent in the NFL. Garrett can barely scrape up 8 with a legit NFL QB.

Also Campo was actually once a pretty good D Coordinator. Garrett, at this point, has really done nothing.

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
Best
Landry
Johnson
Switzer
_________

Worst
Phillips
Parcells
Gailey
Garrett
Campo.

Note: I'm judging these coaches as coaches for the COWBOYS, not their entire body of work.

tecolote

Reaction score
In Dallas only, the Parcels/Wade/Garrett question is more interesting. Parcels' record 34-32 is not impressive. At the same time, you have to just ignore his famous 'you are what your record says you are' proclamation and give him credit for building up the roster he inherited. Wade had a better record than all of them, yet his team disintegrated around him. Garrett's done about what Parcels did, only with a QB in place and less room to operate in terms of picks and cap space. As for Parcels playoff season, that happened courtesy of Zimmer's #1 ranked defense.

Perhaps irrelevantly, I'd actually be curios to see what Garrett might have done with a guy like Zimmer helping out on the other side of the ball.

Parcells had 2 playoff seasons in Dallas.

visionary

Reaction score
Parcels' record 34-32 is not impressive. .......Garrett's done about what Parcels did, .

dallas cowboys record last 3 seasons before parcells took over:
5-11, 5-11, 5-11

under parcells dallas went to the post season 2 times in 4 years

dallas cowboys record last 3 seasons before garrett took over:
13-3, 9-7, 11-5 (all with cream puff wade)

under garrett dallas has not been to the playoffs even once in 3.5 years

garrett inherited a top 10 (at worst) QB and a much better roster and then proceeded to drive it into the ground

no rational person would say that garrett has done about what parcells did
not even close

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
1. Jimster - Created the best Team in NFL History

2. Landry

3. Parcells

4. Switzer

5. Wade

6. Gailey

7. Campo

8. Garrett

Campo gets the nod over Garrett because Campo could win 5 games with the worst talent in the NFL. Garrett can barely scrape up 8 with a legit NFL QB.

Also Campo was actually once a pretty good D Coordinator. Garrett, at this point, has really done nothing.

You could also argue that "legit NFL QB" has cost Garrett games as well. Actually that's not argument its a fact at this point.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Parcells had 2 playoff seasons in Dallas.

That's right. I'd forgotten about the WC season where we lost the division to PHI and then dropped a game I thought we should have won to SEA. That season was a bit of a mixed back, but he definitely did have the two playoff seasons.

Because many of these guys had short tenures, I'm not sure how much can fairly be banked on their winning percentages. Parcels, for example, had no QB for two of his seasons. Wade inherited a very good roster, but couldn't sustain it. Campo's years were a train wreck, but we were crippled then by old players and bad contracts and had as little talent as I can ever remember seeing.

Jimmy and Tom are obviously in a class of their own. Campo's pretty obviously at the bottom of the barrel. I put Garrett above Wade mostly because he did a better job with the exact same players and because I like his personnel changes where I did not like Wade's.

Parcels and Garrett are much closer. Parcels got a bad team to the playoffs his first year on the back of a good defense. He had a good team in 2006 with a great young QB, but we weren't really able to accomplish much more under Parcels at that point than we have under Garrett. At least not enough to be a night-and-day difference. I didn't like the move to the 3-4 under Bill, and I didn't like the TO signing. The W-L record was the same as Garrett's, and he left under a cloud as far as I'm concerned when he quit late enough in the offseason that it left us with very few legitimate candidates for the job. Personally, I think Garrett's done about the same as Parcels did (34-32 with 0 playoff wins) v. Garrett's 28-26 so far with no playoff qualifying. I think both coaches are good coaches who struggled similarly under fairly similar circumstances.

dupree89

Reaction score
Mine would be:
Landry
Johnson
Parcells
Phillips
Switzer
and then the rest.