Ranking 2024 Top 12 free-agent running backs

Chasing6

Reaction score
That’s not a terrible list and none of them ought to be particularly expensive.

Singletary or Moss along with a 2nd or 3rd rounder and Dowdle ought to make an above average back field….especially if they can upgrade center.

If that’s how they go with the draft, they MUST come out of FA with some better options at DT and LB.

Can’t go cheap everywhere and still expect to win Stevie.
Teams have been able to prove you can go middle of the road at RB and still win.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Teams have been able to prove you can go middle of the road at RB and still win.
Agree….that’s what I’d want to do.

Teams don’t pay big for RB, and there’s several pretty good ones available, so we should be able to land one and not break the bank.

Add a draft pick and Dowdle and things can be fine at RB for little expense.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Who's the cheapest and most washed up option out there, just asking for a friend.

Dallas Cowboys COO and Director of Player Personnel Stephen Jones stands on the sidelines...
He will try to sign Le'Veon Bell.

Le'Veon Bell to attempt NFL comeback with the hope of getting one more chance​

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/..., a former All-Pro,ready to pursue a comeback.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
To be honest, not much separation from #1 to #12, just depends on the favorite flavor. Either way, it's a safe bet that one on this list will be a 2024 Cowboy starter (full or part-time).

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/l...them&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Ranking 2024's top 12 free-agent running backsRan​

Given what they gave Miles Sanders last year, the Carolina Panthers probably won’t be sifting through the open market for a big-name running back this spring.

But just in case you were curious, here are the top 12 free-agent rushers for the offseason:

1. Saquon Barkley (Age: 27)​

Expect someone lile Damian Harris

Jayinem

Reaction score
Saquon #1 yet his stats are clearly worse than Derrick Henry who's 30 years old while he's beat up like he's 40 even though he's only 27.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Agree….that’s what I’d want to do.

Teams don’t pay big for RB, and there’s several pretty good ones available, so we should be able to land one and not break the bank.

Add a draft pick and Dowdle and things can be fine at RB for little expense.
So let's spend money we don't have on a RB and not get a DT. Is that RB going to out perform what Pollard did last year?

fivetwos

Reaction score
So let's spend money we don't have on a RB and not get a DT. Is that RB going to out perform what Pollard did last year?
Nah you’re missing me….they should be able to get a RB cheap given the amount that are out there.

If they want to fill every gaping hole, they are going to need to hit free agency as well as nail the draft.

Just a matter of which one is going to cost a little more. Pollard was paid 10m last year and isn’t a lead back.

You’re gonna see some contracts for the vet RBs which is far lower than their ability, and less than Pollard was paid last year.

Like center, another position where they could both upgrade AND save cap dollars at the same time.

But they will absolutely need to pony up for a FA DT or it’s moot.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Nah you’re missing me….they should be able to get a RB cheap given the amount that are out there.

If they want to fill every gaping hole, they are going to need to hit free agency as well as nail the draft.

Just a matter of which one is going to cost a little more. Pollard was paid 10m last year and isn’t a lead back.

You’re gonna see some contracts for the vet RBs which is far lower than their ability, and less than Pollard was paid last year.

Like center, another position where they could both upgrade AND save cap dollars at the same time.

But they will absolutely need to pony up for a FA DT or it’s moot.

Seriousley doubt we can fill every hole in 1 year.
I understand it would be a great time to take advantage of a depressed RB market. However we have limited cap space and bigger needs.

We need a $20M DT. One who can impact both the run and pass rush. We already completely wasted $5M on Trance. I don't want to waste another $5M on a RB. Get one or even 2
in the draft. Go to a RB by committee if we have to. Save the money for the trenches.

Draft picks are going to happen regardless of position and pay is already determined. So that
money is getting spent regardless. We are not good at identify DT's in the draft(insert Mazi here).

If we want to make a run in the playoffs the trenches need to be fixed. Pollard did not have holes to run through last year. Not sure what holes another experienced back is going to run through in 2024.

A $10M DT is not going to fix our problem on defense. Save a majority of our free agent money for legit DT. Just my opinion.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
Of all the guys on that list D'Andre Swift is the one that intrigues me the most. He has an ideal combination of youth with demonstrated ability to produce as the main back. I can't imagine his market will be too rich either.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Of all the guys on that list D'Andre Swift is the one that intrigues me the most. He has an ideal combination of youth with demonstrated ability to produce as the main back. I can't imagine his market will be too rich either.
It would be a gamble. Who knows how it would turn out. Or you just go get one who has already proven it. Then pairing up with Micah would only enhance each others results.

Having consistent pressure from the middle and from Micah off the edge would be a nightmare for QB's, unless they can run all over us for 150+ yards a game.

Carson

Reaction score
That’s why I don’t understand Washington being linked to Pollard. They should go Swift

fivetwos

Reaction score
Seriousley doubt we can fill every hole in 1 year.
I understand it would be a great time to take advantage of a depressed RB market. However we have limited cap space and bigger needs.

We need a $20M DT. One who can impact both the run and pass rush. We already completely wasted $5M on Trance. I don't want to waste another $5M on a RB. Get one or even 2
in the draft. Go to a RB by committee if we have to. Save the money for the trenches.

Draft picks are going to happen regardless of position and pay is already determined. So that
money is getting spent regardless. We are not good at identify DT's in the draft(insert Mazi here).

If we want to make a run in the playoffs the trenches need to be fixed. Pollard did not have holes to run through last year. Not sure what holes another experienced back is going to run through in 2024.

A $10M DT is not going to fix our problem on defense. Save a majority of our free agent money for legit DT. Just my opinion.
I don’t disagree.

They never fill every hole in any off-season and now there’s more than usual. Just a matter of what is spent where. The kid loves the draft salary bargain but those are limited.

As far as DT….they have tried every approach except one. They have spent high picks, mid picks, late picks and cheap FA.

They should pony up for the sure thing but it ain’t happening. They won’t get the jersey sale/marketability return on those type of players. Unfortunately that’s a huge factor for them and why S was ignored forever and DT remains that way.

Not against ya.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don’t disagree.

They never fill every hole in any off-season and now there’s more than usual. Just a matter of what is spent where. The kid loves the draft salary bargain but those are limited.

As far as DT….they have tried every approach except one. They have spent high picks, mid picks, late picks and cheap FA.

They should pony up for the sure thing but it ain’t happening. They won’t get the jersey sale/marketability return on those type of players. Unfortunately that’s a huge factor for them and why S was ignored forever and DT remains that way.

Not against ya.
Now that Micah is asking for it and announced it to the world that he did, Jeruh may struggle with it being ignored. When one of the faces of the franchise, who has his own podcast, is basically calling Jeruh out to get a DT and an LB.

Micah is basically calling out GM Jeruh, which should have been done a long time ago.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Plenty of RB talent in the draft. To bad we don't have a 4th round pick, may actually be the best value in the draft for that position. Save the free agent money please for an impact DT.
yes, do cheapo RB and someone tie up Stephen until Jerry gets the DT on board

Chasing6

Reaction score
yes, do cheapo RB and someone tie up Stephen until Jerry gets the DT on board
Just have Micah talk about it all day long on his Podcasts. He should invite each and everyone one of the free agents to join him. Micah can enter view them live and they can tell us why they would be a good fit in Dallas.

Then do the same for Mike LB's. If this happened maybe I would actually listen to his podcast.

MikeT22

Reaction score
I don't believe RB is that high on our priority list.

DT, LB, OC, CB are all higher on my list.

Their will most likely still be free agent RB's available after the draft just like last year.
Yeah, we can look for RBs on day 3 or get an UDFA, just like we do with QB.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Now that Micah is asking for it and announced it to the world that he did, Jeruh may struggle with it being ignored. When one of the faces of the franchise, who has his own podcast, is basically calling Jeruh out to get a DT and an LB.

Micah is basically calling out GM Jeruh, which should have been done a long time ago.
Gotta admit, it’s kinda cool that the players have to tell the GM what they need, isn’t it?

I can’t see a championship being all that far away.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Zeke is only 28? Man he fell hard and fast.
RB isn't about age it is carries. And Zeke got his carries in.
He has had 2065 rushes but also been the primary pocket protector and caught 356 passes.

Most RB whither at about 2000 touches.
For comparison's sake CMC has just less than 1300 rushes. Those injuries actually saved his legs.

Derrick Henry has over 2000 rushes and was down to 4.2 YPC last year. Thats why would welcome him in a rotation for low money but not as a bellcow we had to really pay.