Ranking an incredibly talented roster

erod

Reaction score
Is this roster more talented than the 2007 roster?

Yes, I'd say so. It's younger with more elite potential. Too much Pat Watkins and Jacques Reeves in those days, as well as some old dudes that were losing their step. Good team though.

I just wish Parcells would have given it one more go. And can you imagine if he had a back like Barber to work with young Romo?

Wade sucked the life out of that team. "Let the Cowboys ride!" Puke.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I’m trying to think of another Cowboy team or any team in NFL history we’d describe as talented without a top 5 defense, top 10 offense or Elite QB?

I’m not disputing we don’t have some talent but I am arguing if we might be a little over the top with our evaluation.

2012 Baltimore Ravens. Lots of star power but Flacco wasn’t elite, just had a good playoff run. Ray Rice had to carry the offense.

They won the ring with Ray Lewis, Haloti Ngata And Ed Reed on D, but they were 12th in total D during the regular season, and that was bloated because they played the Browns, Bengals, and Steelers 6 times in a down year for the division. No Antonio Brown yet, Steelers went 8-8, Bengals won 10 games with their D.

They were talented, had big names but not a lot of position cohesion, at least until the AFCCG/SB. Marshal Yanda, Matt Birk Vontae Leach, Michael Oher, Terrell Suggs... they had plenty of names.

erod

Reaction score
Agree.

I've said multiple times that I think Pollard will play a key role.

He is a versatile offensive weapon as a RB/WR/Gadget player that also blocked often in college.

Pollard has the size 6-1, 210 to do many things that Gadget players like Austin can't (blocker, inside runner, outside WR against big DBs, etc.).

Pollard is the reason Tavon Austin should be looking at houses in the greater Buffalo area.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most definitely, in both good and bad. It's certainly possible that Awuzie struggled a bit learning the new techniques that Richard brought with him, and the improved results late in the season were the result of his growing more comfortable. But, given his career track record thus far, I'll be cautiously optimistic regarding his future results. So at this point, I certainly wouldn't rank as high on my own list as he does on this one. I need to see more and see it consistently.
Avoiding injury is a key issue for Awuzie. He missed a game in 2018 and about half the season in 2017. It was game 6 that he missed in 2018 which could have contributed to some early/mid season issues that he experienced. Missing 1 game doesn't seem like much but a missed game often means the player is limited in practice for a few weeks, especially if it's something like a hamstring that limited him in 2017.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Terrific, to the point post!

CBs
Interesting thoughts on Awuzie.
I think he just needs to fine tune the details of his game, especially contested balls.

They asked too much of Byron Jones late in the season. More experience at other positions will make Jones better because he won't try to do too much.

You spot on about Brown and Lewis. I think Brown is only slightly below Jones/Awuzie.

Lewis has a chance to get more playing time if he embraces the Kris Richard style. They could use more Dime like they did against the Saints.

Many I'm just a worry wart, but I have concerns about each of the two projected starters, more about Jones than Awuzie though. Just that Awuzie has turned the corner and can keep his momentum going. But with Jones, I worry that he fully recovers from his hip surgery (no certainty especially at corner) and that he hasn't put a bullseye on his back based on recent comments about contact.

Tyrone Crawford / M.Collins / Hill
He is a better player than most fans give him credit for being; however, he has been a long time starter moved back and forth between DE and DT but does not project to start this year. M.Collins and Trysten Hill are the projected top two 3-tech DTs and Robert Quinn is the projected starter at RDE. If other players stay healthy up to game 1, then SJones might want to move on from Crawford's 7M salary. The status of Hyder and DT Covington could play into that decision also.

I'm a well-known critic of Crawford's production vs cost and I continue be one. He's far too expensive as a role player and there are now many other cheaper options with potential upside. And his pass rush numbers were scheme manufactured but nobody wants to address that.

Antuan Woods / Covington
They didn't really have another legit option to play 1-tech snaps, especially in the Rams game. DT Covington projects as an ideal 4th DT because he appears to have both 1-tech and 3-tech ability; although, with the report that he dropped 30 pounds that might have changed. Covington played as a 3-4 DE in Houston but also played snaps at NT.

I'm not happy to hear about that big weight loss.

Xavier Woods / Iloka / Heath
I expect them to have Iloka focused on SS. If Iloka becomes the clear cut starter at SS, then Heath has the ability and experience to backup both FS and SS.

It's possible that Iloka and Heath both play snaps at SS based on match-ups. Heath has excellent speed and was OK in coverage but struggled vs the run. Iloka on paper looks ideal as a SS because he is very big and has limited speed; however, he played more as a FS or in 2-deep alignments with the Bengals. I've reviewed him from a few Bengals games but I still not certain about his run defense ability. He was OK but the way they used him meant he wasn't the 1st defender to contact the RB all that often. He was much better in coverage than most fans would think if they focus on his forty time.

I don;t know why Iloka's name was connected to Woods. I see no correlation there.

Taco (Goal should be to emulate DLaw)
Taco has the physical ability. He looked as good or better physically in college as DLaw; however, DLaw has worked hard to transform himself into a big time NFL player. That includes work in the weight room, mental preparation and scheme knowledge and especially refined technique that's somewhat unique to him.

If Taco gets his head right he should be able to do much of what DLaw does physically. Getting benched for a few games last season will either light a fire under his backside OR it will make his attitude issues worse. The coaches should know which within the 1st week of training camp.

There is a bit a a problem for Taco in that he would be best at LDE in Marinelli's scheme but DLaw obviously plays most of the LDE snaps. They need a big DE to rotate with Robert Quinn at RDE like they did last year with Randy Gregory in the role Quinn will now play. Taco was that big DE when Crawford was starting at DT due to Collins being limited early coming back from injury. This year Taco, Hyder, Crawford and possibly Armstong will be in the mix to get the bulk of those snaps as the #2 RDE.

I hope you're right about Taco, but I'm skeptical at this point.

LG / RT
Connor Williams is one of the players that I'm most interested to follow in training camp. I think they want him to start at LG in 2019 and then move to RT in 2020; however, how much he practices at OT in 2019 is a big unknown.

Likewise very interested to see his potential improvement. That would be huge for this offensive line.

Great post!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree.

I've said multiple times that I think Pollard will play a key role.

He is a versatile offensive weapon as a RB/WR/Gadget player that also blocked often in college.

Pollard has the size 6-1, 210 to do many things that Gadget players like Austin can't (blocker, inside runner, outside WR against big DBs, etc.).

I hope so, that was the draft pick I felt was the biggest reach and questioned the most. I hope he and the team prove those concerns unwarranted.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pollard is the reason Tavon Austin should be looking at houses in the greater Buffalo area.

I'll believe that when I see it. Austin still looks like the top candidate to handle punt returns and I will have to see Pollard show the on-field speed that Austin does.

But I do concede this, I think if Austin gets hurt and misses time during the preseason, he's a goner. He has to be available.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Yikes that list is yikes yikes yikes

Awuzie over Byron
X Woods almost at the bottom and under Heath lmao
Armstrong over Gallup...?
Dak one spot ahead of Looney and below Witten
A Woods 9 spots BELOW Collins
La'el below Looney

1. Martin
2. Tyron
3. Lawrence
4. Cooper
5. LVE
6. Zeke
7. Byron
8. Jaylon
9. Dak
10. Lee
11. Awuzie
12. X Woods
13. Gregory
14. Brown
15. A Woods

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I'm the cowboys fan used to winning. Something this team hasn't done in a long time

Some members here will argue that the team IS winning.... as long as you will consider regular season accomplishments as 'winning'.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some members here will argue that the team IS winning.... as long as you will consider regular season accomplishments as 'winning'.

'How low can you go?'
giphy.gif

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I hope so, that was the draft pick I felt was the biggest reach and questioned the most. I hope he and the team prove those concerns unwarranted.
I think they will make it a point to get Pollard on the field early to justify his draft position, despite him being a major reach.

Although could be wrong since they didnt do that with Schultz despite him being a major reach.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I was on a different website where they talked about what current player in the NFL could be the best ever at his position some day and my first thought was Martin. Weird thing is I'm not even sure he is our best OG all time yet, but I think he has the potential to be. And putting him first on this list I agree with... now some of the others, maybe not, lol...

Martin is great. He’s the best guard in the world right now. Having said that, he will never be Larry Allen. I doubt we’ll ever see another Larry Allen. He was that dominant.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they will make it a point to get Pollard on the field early to justify his draft position, despite him being a major reach.

Although could be wrong since they didnt do that with Schultz despite him being a major reach.

They'll definitely need to in order to justify the pick. All signs indicate that it came down to Pollard or cornerback Isaiah Johnson (who went immediately afterward). Offense vs defense. Richard vs Moore. Moore got his guy and he needs to show that he was right.

slick325

Reaction score
This is one helluva talented roster right now. Even a lot of the backups are damn good players. Many of the best players are 25 or younger. Probably only 3-4 spots on the roster even available. Great job by the personnel department.

So, let's play a game.

I'm going to rank the starters from best to least best (plus a few more guys that will see a lot of time). I'm going to assume everybody is fully healthy (Lee and Cobb), and some guys will be low just because they are young or just got here. No kickers, punters, specialty guys, or Randy Gregory.

And we're off......

1. Zack Martin - 2nd best Cowboys guard all time behind Larry Allen
2. Zeke Elliott - the heart and hammer of the offense
3. Tyron Smith - still as good as it gets even at 90%
4. Travis Frederick - hoping he's fully recovered to his former incredible self soon
5. Demarcus Lawrence - will handle the contract well
6. Amari Cooper - silky smooth routes are a pleasure to behold
7. Leighton Vander Esch - crazy athleticism and shadowed Lee all offseason
8. Chidobe Awuzie - finished strong last year and about to break out as our best corner
9. Jaylon Smith - if his lateral quickness would return, he could rocket to top five
10. Sean Lee - still the smartest dude on the team
11. Byron Jones - I need to see more, not totally buying it, but last year was good
12. Robert Quinn - bigger acquisition than we realize, will love being here
13. Jason Witten -will look the same steady guy as he did 3 years ago
14. Tyrone Crawford -way underappreciated, good football player
15. Anthony Brown - one of the steadiest players on the team
16. Maliek Collins - dominant at times when his foot is healthy
17. Dak Prescott - biggest year of his career, gotta make the WR corp fast and dynamic with Moore
18. Joe Looney - this is a tremendous backup and a good locker room guy
19. Randall Cobb - like Miles Austin, can he keep his legs together?
20. Jourdan Lewis - talented, but freelances too much
21. La'el Collins - fairly solid, but not as advertised out of college
22. Dorance Armstrong -will become more impactful this year with an offseason
23. Michael Gallup -could go way up the chart, but need to see it
24. Antuan Woods - love this guy, but he tailed off at the end
25. Jeff Heath - better than given credit for, but Iloka looms
26. Xavier Woods - could break out if he prepared to fend off Iloka
27. Connor Williams - will rise when he gets to RT eventually
28. Trysten Hill -who knows, but they're counting on him to get his head on right and play
29. Blake Jarwin - intriguing player late, the coaches love him
30. Taco Charlton - Dude.....

And there are still solid and intriguing guys like Frazier, Pollard, Covington, Thomas, Sua-Filo, Schultz and these track star rookie receivers on the team.

Some really good, promising players are about to get cut. That's a good sign.

I'd flip Zeke and Martin but not a bad list erod.