Video: Rapoport explains why the Cowboys traded Coop

morasp

Reaction score
I'm pretty good with numbers but I'm not clear on what you said. What would be the soonest they could get rid of Dak without a huge dead cap hit?
I found it.

The cap and dead money numbers through the life of the contract are projected to be as follows:

• 2021 – Cap number: $17.2 million; Dead money: $95.0 million
  • 2022 – Cap number: $34.5 million; Dead money: $77.8 million
  • 2023 – Cap number: $45.5 million; Dead money: $43.4 million
  • 2024 – Cap number: $48.5 million; Dead money: $28.9 million
  • 2025 – (Contract voids) Cap number: $14.5 million

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Why only a 5 & 6 for Cooper? Because of the $20m salary. Cowboys have picks in every round but 7 & should gain a comp pick (another 5).

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
The best thing about this trade is seeing how Dak does next year. Maybe if he tanks and we tank they get a high draft pick and select his replacement.
I can get on board with this. Use the savings to sign Gallup and send the rest over to the defensive side. If Dak fails, build around Micah and use the old Bucs/Ravens model. Doubt the FO goes for it but that's probably the quickest way to correct course and remain a contender.

morasp

Reaction score
I can get on board with this. Use the savings to sign Gallup and send the rest over to the defensive side. If Dak fails, build around Micah and use the old Bucs/Ravens model. Doubt the FO goes for it but that's probably the quickest way to correct course and remain a contender.
It's rumored that this years draft is on the offensive side of the ball.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
It's rumored that this years draft is on the offensive side of the ball.
That's the word on the street. Hope that isn't the case. They got lucky last year. It's looking like the plan is to go into the draft looking to plug holes rathering bolstering talent. They better use that Coop money wisely.

Flamma

Reaction score
The best thing about this trade is seeing how Dak does next year. Maybe if he tanks and we tank they get a high draft pick and select his replacement.

I got bad news for you. Dak isn't going anywhere regardless of how bad he does. And this isn't coming from a dak fan, I didn't want him paid. I wanted to go with a rookie.

Dak's dead cap is almost 60M after next year. They're not only going to not move on from him, but restructure his contract further after next year. If at any point they decide to move on from Dak, we'll be in rebuild mode due to the ridiculous dead cap hit he'll be. No one is going to trade for that contract.

morasp

Reaction score
I got bad news for you. Dak isn't going anywhere regardless of how bad he does. And this isn't coming from a dak fan, I didn't want him paid. I wanted to go with a rookie.

Dak's dead cap is almost 60M after next year. They're not only going to not move on from him, but restructure his contract further after next year. If at any point they decide to move on from Dak, we'll be in rebuild mode due to the ridiculous dead cap hit he'll be. No one is going to trade for that contract.
I posted the numbers above. it looks like if they drafted someone next year of the year after cutting Dak in 2024 would save $19.6 million in cap space.

Last edited:

raven55

Reaction score
just to show you ian rapport is a sports dummy, any team trades that talent away is run like a bunch of idiots, get this a 1st round pick taken away and a 5 round to get rid of sounds like he's got a problem with eithier the organization or the qb . and the monkeys in charge got there bunch of fruit couldn't said something else but i think everyone gets the jest

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Clear much needed cap space for a player that has seemed to decline in production and always had some minor type injury. That he missed some plays at critical times.
We get a 5th round, and a higher 6th round, though does not seem like much. But clearing the $$$ on the books was the plan.

They will use that space to pay Schultz (though I did not like that move) and to pay Gallup. We have Gallup and Lamb, they kept Brown, though many do not like that (because that is the way they are, needing an all pro even for depth). Many are high on Feheko. Then can they keep Wilson also. And Turner.

All that does not sound well to some without the name of Cooper, or some other top named WR. But it is still not a horrible group if they can keep them together. And do not rule out them drafting a WR in the top 3 either. I don't think they go with a WR in the 1st round, unless one drops like Lamb did.
I think many are forgetting about #17, Malik Turner. That kid has got something going for him. He’s my in-house pet cat that I will be keeping an eye on.

Really like his upside and believe he’s gonna flash.

plymkr

Reaction score
Trust and equity are like bank accounts. You make deposits. You make withdrawals.

The Jones boys have overdrawn their account. Literally there is zero confidence on any decision they make because all goodwill and faith in their leadership has eroded.

This offseason has been terrible. Their response to the loss vs SF has amounted to their rubbing salt in the wounds of their fans.

They could actually make a decent decision and technically be “right” in a cut or signing— but they are still “wrong” on so many fronts that it is pissing into a hurricane at this point.
Exactly how I feel.

bigE79

Reaction score
Oh please. We don't need any "breakdown" of why the Cowboys let him go. He trash-talked Dak, period. And ain't nobody allowed to make Dak look bad. Think the clowns in the FO are worried about paying $20 mil to keep a guy here, even if he underperforms? With the stupid contracts they dish out on the regular? This is all about image, and Daddy & Son simply can't allow dissent in the locker room, because if we can't win, at least we're "cohesive" and believe in the process.
Bring in AB...now that would be entertaining...lol

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Bring in AB...now that would be entertaining...lol

I agree. There'd be entertainment value, plus it would allow Jerry to creep back into the spotlight. Don't know how long any of us can only stare at Stephen's stupid face.

GINeric

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's not what I said, I would love to see him do well, but since you brought it up, what's one more year after 26. It's time to consider the possibility that Dak just isn't that good. If Dak needs elite players to be any good that's a huge impact on the rest of the roster, particularly the defense. The Colts weren't afraid to dump Wentz. The Bengals saw what they had with Andy Dalton and knew they had to get better at QB, I'm just saying that we might be at that point.

Payton Manning
I'm pretty sure that's not what I said, I would love to see him do well, but since you brought it up, what's one more year after 26. It's time to consider the possibility that Dak just isn't that good. If Dak needs elite players to be any good that's a huge impact on the rest of the roster, particularly the defense. The Colts weren't afraid to dump Wentz. The Bengals saw what they had with Andy Dalton and knew they had to get better at QB, I'm just saying that we might be at that point.

Peyton Manning, John Elway, Drew Brees and many other quarterbacks didn't win Superbowls their first 6 years either.... but I guess Dak is held to some mysteriously different standard.

Jim Kelly and Marino NEVER won a Superbowl.... so I guess they're as bad as Dak or worse huh.... some of yall think this is a game of Madden and people supposed to be great in just a handful of seasons. Actually Dak technically loss out on a whole season due to injury.

Just imagine if every GM gave up on a quarterback after just 5 or 6 seasons. Thats just stupid **. Thank God you and alot of "minute rice" mindset people just like you aren't our GM. We wouldn't win more than 2 games a season if that was the case.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Sorry...
Not buying it one bit....Jerry needed a scapegoat. And it's what he's done in the past.

Roy Williams
Terrell Owen's
Dez Bryant
Amari Cooper

Sacrifice a big name WR as if it was his fault.

Jerry will never accept responsibility of his inability to get a QB.

Jerry just refuses to find a QB....nor spend a #1 pick on a franchise leader.

You get what you pay for....

Sadly....Jerry has been piss poor when it comes to identifying the real problems plaguing the franchise.

rynochop

Reaction score
Traded beats a straight cut any day. With that money owed to him we are lucky to have got what we did.
Just reverse the situation, if the Cowboys traded pics for a Cooper and took on a 1 year 20 mil salary for a guy that didn't get 900 yards, and seemingly wore out his welcome for a second team...I'll go out on a limb and say the people that hate this trade would hate that more

morasp

Reaction score
Payton Manning

Peyton Manning, John Elway, Drew Brees and many other quarterbacks didn't win Superbowls their first 6 years either.... but I guess Dak is held to some mysteriously different standard.

Jim Kelly and Marino NEVER won a Superbowl.... so I guess they're as bad as Dak or worse huh.... some of yall think this is a game of Madden and people supposed to be great in just a handful of seasons. Actually Dak technically loss out on a whole season due to injury.

Just imagine if every GM gave up on a quarterback after just 5 or 6 seasons. Thats just stupid **. Thank God you and alot of "minute rice" mindset people just like you aren't our GM. We wouldn't win more than 2 games a season if that was the case.
We aren't talking about Super Bowls. Dak is 1 and 3 in playoff games. He comes up small in big games. His QBR against the 49rs was 27. His QBR against the Chiefs was 9.

Flamma

Reaction score
I posted the numbers above. it looks like if they drafted someone next year of the year after cutting Dak in 2024 would save $19.6 million in cap space.

Yes. But that means they'd have to absorb the 50M dollar cap hit Dak would be for 2023. Because right now, the plan is to restructure 2023.

morasp

Reaction score
Yes. But that means they'd have to absorb the 50M dollar cap hit Dak would be for 2023. Because right now, the plan is to restructure 2023.
Are the details of that restructure out? How would that change these numbers? The way I understand it cap number for each year is if he's on the team and dead money is if he isn't.

• 2021 – Cap number: $17.2 million; Dead money: $95.0 million
  • 2022 – Cap number: $34.5 million; Dead money: $77.8 million
  • 2023 – Cap number: $45.5 million; Dead money: $43.4 million
  • 2024 – Cap number: $48.5 million; Dead money: $28.9 million
  • 2025 – (Contract voids) Cap number: $14.5 million