Rapoport Update On Dak’s Rehab

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
you give him 40M you are relegated to shopping at the local morgue
1. Dak has never asked for 40M per. If he does in fact do so now it will the Cowboys fault for not signing him at 34.5M x 4 last year.
2. A 4 or 5 year deal at 40M doesn't mean you have 40M cap hit year 1.
3. You are paying 37.7M on the tag so signing a long term 40M deal almost surely SAVES you cap money to add talent around him.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Dak has never asked for 40M per. If he does in fact do so now it will the Cowboys fault for not signing him at 34.5M x 4 last year.
2. A 4 or 5 year deal at 40M doesn't mean you have 40M cap hit year 1.
3. You are paying 37.7M on the tag so signing a long term 40M deal almost surely SAVES you cap money to add talent around him.
Just so I understand (not arguing), the salary cap hit after the first couple of years must go up tremendously then, right? Eventually, the total contract still averages out to 40 mil a year, right? I will be the first to admit, the cap jockeying that teams around the league do is pretty confusing.

Turk

Reaction score
Just curious why is this news? No one expected there to be any problems with his rehab. That its going a little faster than expected is nice but not really important at all.
Yet we have two separate threads on it.

I am thinking we need a Dak Zone.

erod

Reaction score
LOL

The Cowboys are drowning in irrelevance and mediocrity.

If it wasn't for football follies and police blotters, nobody would ever whisper a word about them.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Just so I understand (not arguing), the salary cap hit after the first couple of years must go up tremendously then, right? Eventually, the total contract still averages out to 40 mil a year, right? I will be the first to admit, the cap jockeying that teams around the league do is pretty confusing.
Absolutely.

Let's keep this easy and even and say 4 years 160 M.

Year 1 you hand him 50M SB.
12.5M cap hit each of those 4 years.
plus the yearly base.
year 1. 5M base cap hit 17.5M
year 2. 25m base cap hit 37.5M
year 3. 30M base cap hit 42.5M
This is ALL GTD. 110M GTD

----------------------- at this point you either extend Dak or release him.
but maybe you play it out 1 year for some crazy reason.

year 4 50m base cap hit 62.5M, dead money if released? 12.5M
And with that 50M base you have your SB number again ready to extend.
Extension 5 years 250M.
50M SB, 10m Base. Cap hit 12.5 prior bonus, 10m new Bonus, 10m base = 32.5M cap hit in year 4.

year 5. 25M roster bonus. 25M base = 10 SB+6.25M RB+25m base = 41.25 cap hit.

This is even easier to do if they do agree to a 5 year deal to start with but you can see how you can really pay below 40M in cap hits for a very long time.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
true. The one thing they teach you in negotiations 101 is to blow any and all leverage you may have and to clandestinely raise your assets profile and appeal.

He's a master at it:

"We certainly saw what Gurley got paid and we know that’s probably where it starts, and we’ll go from there,” - Stephen Jones, prior to Zeke's new contract.

Motorola

Reaction score
Just curious why is this news? No one expected there to be any problems with his rehab. That its going a little faster than expected is nice but not really important at all.
Yet we have two separate threads on it.

I am thinking we need a Dak Zone.
2nd the motion.
However, would the CZ members adhere to starting Prescott threads (pro and con) in a 'Dak Zone'...or sneak in a Dak topic under a false title so it remains in the Fan Zone?

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
True.. but I was speaking more to the fact, by this late in the game, you are what you are. He may lose some weight, but he’s still the strong, bulky, stocky leg type QB... he still falls into the issue of throwing off his back feet at times and ‘shot putting’ his throws.

a little lighter isn’t going to change his main issues..
Ben Rapeburger has made a pretty good career out of the same issues

khiladi

Reaction score
Ben Rapeburger has made a pretty good career out of the same issues

Ben R won multiple SBs, is a pocket QB, can more than adequately do a traditional drop back, meaning he's a true drop back passer that go through his progressions, and was also impossible to bring down and he could throw rockets when going out the pocket.

Dak doesn't even belong in the same sentence as this guy as far as football is concerned.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Sweet.. Can’t wait for more mediocrity.
You talking about your posts? because i must say. They are quite mediocre.

Can i ask you something. And be honest.

Would you still post like this if we won a Superbowl? Would you give Dak credit? Or would it be everyone else but him?

I am honestly just asking.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You talking about your posts? because i must say. They are quite mediocre.

Can i ask you something. And be honest.

Would you still post like this if we won a Superbowl? Would you give Dak credit? Or would it be everyone else but him?

I am honestly just asking.

Man just imagine if we had signed Brady to a 2 year deal like I said we should.

817Gill

Reaction score
Brady woulda won with that defense and that many injuries on the line? No freakin way, not even Mahomes woulda won with the team and staff last season.

Lol Brady would have had to berated McCarthy multiple times on live TV due to strange coaching decisions.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Brady woulda won with that defense and that many injuries on the line? No freakin way, not even Mahomes woulda won with the team and staff last season.

Lol Brady would have had to berated McCarthy multiple times on live TV due to strange coaching decisions.

Brady finds ways.

The standard would've raised and we would be better.

If the risk didn't work out then in 2 years we replace him with a cheap option or with Dak after his new team cuts him.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Brady finds ways.

Brady didn't find ways in New England last year. Even he needs some talent around him.

He certainly never had to drag around a defense anywhere close to as bad as the one Dallas trotted out this season.

At the end of the day, some of the reasons you like him are the same reasons he'd never lower himself to the circus Jerry has created in Dallas. He was never an option, Dak or no Dak. It's just a fantasy.

csirl

Reaction score
Its amazing how clever PR wording can make things sound better.

Pessimists Translation:

He can't put his full weight on his damaged leg even though we're now 3 months after the injury. He can't run yet. He can't throw a NFL pass. He can't do anything too dynamic with the leg.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Man just imagine Brady behind the line we had this year. You are ridiculous honestly. We would have wasted 1 year of that deal. You need to get your head examined.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Man just imagine Brady behind the line we had this year. You are ridiculous honestly. We would have wasted 1 year of that deal. You need to get your head examined.

You’re Monday morning quarterbacking it with the Oline and I still think Brady gets it done regardless of the OL because I’ve watched him do it his entire career.

He probably plays 16 games and throws 35 TDs here.