Video: Rapoport w Shan & RJ: Cowboys had Parsons above CBs

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they did conceal their preference, I'd actually be happy about that. It seems like in recent years, they are more likely to telegraph the pick (e.g. LVE).

It certainly feels like they did to me. I didn’t read much about a change to more 3-4 stuff until AFTER the draft. Some other fans pointed out that there was some talk of it but I hadn’t seen it.

Secondly, Jerry gave the impression that players who sat out would be losing value. Clearly that wasn’t the case.

BermyStar

Reaction score
They are much better off taking Parsons at 12 and getting Joseph in the 2nd round. However, there is the risk factor with Joseph working out. If he is a legit playmaking starting CB, then its a home run with the first two picks.
Yeah Joseph is the key to this draft in my opinion. I think Micah works out and Cox will be a bonus. I even think pick 99 will be solid, but if Joseph shows out we'll look back on this draft very fondly as the draft that changed our defense.

cowboyed

Reaction score
That’s why I don’t believe the **** they tell us. Jerry is still a salesman.
I really don't think Jerry or Stephen salesmanship is involved when it comes to player selection and what gets directly or indirectly fed to the fans courtesy of local and national sports reporters, draft gurus and analysts. There are always player selection contingencies because no team can forecast that they will draft every first position player of each round on their board. You have 31 other teams drafting as well.

fivetwos

Reaction score
My bad if it's already well known, but ...did I miss something?
It's not and you didnt. I asked the same of that person weeks ago....and others who were claiming the same thing.

If Dallas didn't want to lose Parsons, then I don't blame them for not making the deal.

But the idea that the phone never rang or the offer for 10 was much lower than 11 makes zero sense on any type of level.

Searching around....I find much more to support my point than the opposite.

Think about it....I'm Chicago. I like Fields. If he slips to the 8-12 range we can probably afford to get him. Call Detroit, Denver...feel them out and are given a probably not....considering what they actually did. Call NY at 11 (who they actually made a deal with).

But Call Dallas at 10?? Nope. Don't even bother.

See what I mean? They called offering probably the same general package. Why wouldn't they??

They were probably told only if none of the three top defenders were there. That's not the same as it wasn't offered.

The team has every incentive to downplay this as it only adds another level of potential second guessing, although I have yet to hear them do it despite what some people seem to want this to be.

It's moot IMO because I now see the value in Parsons, and am happy to have him. They would not have gotten him with a move to 20....and that's good enough reason to have passed....but Chicago made the call and probably the offer.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It’s possible that Parsons was rated higher then the corners on the Cowboys board but if Surtain/Horne were at 10 they would have been the pick. I also believe the Cowboys would have drafted Zaven Collins if the corners and Parsons were picked before 12. I am stunned the Giants passed on Parsons.
giants also passed on Fields more stunning that trade down wa snot genius could cost them a future franchise qb or better player then a WR they could have got in the 2nd round..all those applauding that trade with CHI needs to rethink, it was not smart..betting on DJ and passing on better talent at more critical positions was not smart..

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would you rather have Parsons/Joseph or Surtain/Bolton? High ceiling vs high floor, I rather have Parsons/Joseph although they are more risky prospects, but have pro bowl potentials.

The problem with the cowboy drafts and the predominant reason for the thin rosters is an obsession with risks on boom or bust players. We do not have a good balance of character traits and football measurables in our scouting. I am stoked that Joseph can run fast, but there are legit character concerns. He got suspended from LSU's program, transferred to UK, and played one season. All scouting reports describe him as immature and lacking discipline. Thats a tough kid to project and we have a new coaching staff with zero proven processes or tradition of developing players like him. So, why draft him? The reason is simple........Jerry would rather hit a home run than a double.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It's not and you didnt. I asked the same of that person weeks ago....and others who were claiming the same thing.

If Dallas didn't want to lose Parsons, then I don't blame them for not making the deal.

But the idea that the phone never rang or the offer for 10 was much lower than 11 makes zero sense on any type of level.

Searching around....I find much more to support my point than the opposite.

Think about it....I'm Chicago. I like Fields. If he slips to the 8-12 range we can probably afford to get him. Call Detroit, Denver...feel them out and are given a probably not....considering what they actually did. Call NY at 11 (who they actually made a deal with).

But Call Dallas at 10?? Nope. Don't even bother.

See what I mean? They called offering probably the same general package. Why wouldn't they??

They were probably told only if none of the three top defenders were there. That's not the same as it wasn't offered.

The team has every incentive to downplay this as it only adds another level of potential second guessing, although I have yet to hear them do it despite what some people seem to want this to be.

It's moot IMO because I now see the value in Parsons, and am happy to have him. They would not have gotten him with a move to 20....and that's good enough reason to have passed....but Chicago made the call and probably the offer.
you are guessing!

the call was not made until you prove it was, wheres your proof? keep trying to get in the interworking's or the general process of peoples minds and making assumptions, doesnt make it true..

move on you know what they want you to know OK FAN... FAN behind Keyboard sitting here making wholesale assumptions as usual trying to create narratives most of which are not true, simply hyperbole by fans thinking they know what goes on over at the star..they do NOT..they let you know what they want you too..

it was reported the DC had more then general interest in Parsons at 10 before the draft we discussed it days leading up to the draft, he was on most GMs boards, most fans knew his value and all things being equal with Surtain, Horn , and Parsons outside of the nonsense about pitts and Sewell being there which we all knew would not, they were taking one of those 3 defenders as their first round choice and none would have been consolation prizes.. Cb seemed more of need so it was the obvious choice but in no way makes Parsons some guy they settled on..

IMHO and Yes opinion not facts a gut feelings

i dont believe Parsons kept them from moving to 20 as options down there were close at LB or say a guy like Barmore, Farley, or Moehrig or another LB at 20 not a big drop off all would have filled need on defense and not much of each..

this is why i feel they were NOT offered the deal for whatever reason.. sure our top 3 defenders would have been gone but those guys would have bene options and getting all that draft stock , while a tough decision it would have been considered and yet we havent heard ONE Peron with indie knowledge mention it was offered to the DC not from CHI , NY , or Dallas not one real official comment on it..

baltcowboy

Reaction score
giants also passed on Fields more stunning that trade down wa snot genius could cost them a future franchise qb or better player then a WR they could have got in the 2nd round..all those applauding that trade with CHI needs to rethink, it was not smart..betting on DJ and passing on better talent at more critical positions was not smart..
The Eagles, Giants and WFT have missed out on franchise changing quarterbacks the last 5 seasons. Herbert, Mahomes, Allen, Watson and Jackson could and should have been in our division the last 5 seasons. Thank goodness their GMs think taking a running back, wide receiver, offensive lineman and defensive end is more important then a franchise quarterback.

Sydla

Reaction score
I trust Rapaport as far as I could throw him. I doubt there is any chance that they would have traded down at 10 if Parsons was gone but Surtain, for example, was there.

Sydla

Reaction score
The Eagles, Giants and WFT have missed out on franchise changing quarterbacks the last 5 seasons. Herbert, Mahomes, Allen, Watson and Jackson could and should have been in our division the last 5 seasons. Thank goodness their GMs think taking a running back, wide receiver, offensive lineman and defensive end is more important then a franchise quarterback.

In fairness, Philly had already taken Wentz and it didn't become obvious they needed to move on until this past season. They have most likely three number one picks next year where they can probably get any QB they want with the draft arsenal they have.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah Joseph is the key to this draft in my opinion. I think Micah works out and Cox will be a bonus. I even think pick 99 will be solid, but if Joseph shows out we'll look back on this draft very fondly as the draft that changed our defense.

I can agree with all of that.

DanA

Reaction score
The deal from Chicago wasn’t what NYG got offered. It’s already come out.

I'm not saying it was but I'm pretty sure we were offered something and surely new they were interested in Fields.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
In fairness, Philly had already taken Wentz and it didn't become obvious they needed to move on until this past season. They have most likely three number one picks next year where they can probably get any QB they want with the draft arsenal they have.
The Eagles might have passed on the most quarterbacks because of their love of Wince. I find that funny and ironic.:omg:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

Ian even went on to say Dallas would have traded back if Micah was gone but one of the CBs were available. Interesting....

I like it myself just because if true it means the team was really sold on dude and didn't just settle. I also really like Parsons and think we did well to get Joseph in the 2nd.

did I like horn and surtain? yes. did I like Parsons? yes. my concern with parsons were the off the field character issues and rumors about that. I believe you build inside out. given the DL class was weak, then LB was the next logical step in the process. plus this was a deep CB class, not deep at all in DL as mentioned and only 2-3 deep at LB, so you find your LB in the first round and you can get great value in second round for CB which is what we did. I think they did well in the draft.....

Sydla

Reaction score
The Eagles might have passed on the most quarterbacks because of their love of Wince. I find that funny and ironic.:omg:

They passed on two QBs. Jackson, because they traded that pick to Baltimore, and then potentially Fields this year. The year Mahomes and Watson went, the Eagles picked 14th and Mahomes and Watson went before that pick. They also had picks after Herbert and Allen went too. So I am not sure they passed on as many QBs as you claim.