Rapoport would not be surprised if Dak gets a shorter deal

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Giving Dak a shorter but higher paying new contract would do nothing but hurt the Cowboys.
Yep, with the $40m still outstanding and presumably an AAV over $60m, that's the worst possible outcome. If we're resigning him, do it to a career ending contract, at least that way we'd be able to restructure for a shot at the next couple of years....not kill the short-term CAP, apportioning pretty much all of it to Dak.
This isn't the first time I have read or heard this.

That would constitute a win for France. One of his priorities is to re-enter the (perpetually resetting) market.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yep, with the $40m still outstanding and presumably an AAV over $60m, that's the worst possible outcome. If we're resigning him, do it to a career ending contract, at least that way we'd be able to restructure for a shot at the next couple of years....not kill the short-term CAP, apportioning pretty much all of it to Dak.

That would constitute a win for France. One of his priorities is to re-enter the (perpetually resetting) market.
Exactly right!

Thank you for the information and analysis brother.

plymkr

Reaction score
My knee jerk reaction to this is if we pay Dak 160 for 2 years or 180 for 3 years we would not only cripple the team in ‘24 and 25 but also several years after. Considering we already owe 40 some million on the salary cap credit card that has to be paid eventually, and given he would be the highest paid player with 60 APY and a good junk of that would be put on the salary cap credit card, adding to the dept. That’s salary cap suicide.

If that scenario plays out then probably for the first time in my life I would actively root against the Cowboys with Dak under center. That would be really selfish and while he’s playing I would hope for a loss every game he plays in.

Now if he wants 60 million APY but accepted a 6 or 7 year deal to allow us to spread out the salary cap credit card I wouldn’t be thrilled with the extension but it would be doable. But 2 or 3 years?!? No. That would kill us and I would hope for the best in his personal life but on the field that much selfishness would cause me to actively hope he loses and the crowds/fans/media/teammates turn against him.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
My knee jerk reaction to this is if we pay Dak 160 for 2 years or 180 for 3 years we would not only cripple the team in ‘24 and 25 but also several years after. Considering we already owe 40 some million on the salary cap credit card that has to be paid eventually, and given he would be the highest paid player with 60 APY and a good junk of that would be put on the salary cap credit card, adding to the dept. That’s salary cap suicide.

If that scenario plays out then probably for the first time in my life I would actively root against the Cowboys with Dak under center. That would be really selfish and while he’s playing I would hope for a loss every game he plays in.

Now if he wants 60 million APY but accepted a 6 or 7 year deal to allow us to spread out the salary cap credit card I wouldn’t be thrilled with the extension but it would be doable. But 2 or 3 years?!? No. That would kill us and I would hope for the best in his personal life but on the field that much selfishness would cause me to actively hope he loses and the crowds/fans/media/teammates turn against him.
Agree, apart for the 'root against the Cowboys'. The fanbase will certainly expect more bang for the buck and I dont think he'd be able to raise HIS game to necessary levels. It wont be a matter of deflecting blame as his take of the pie (and any inability to restructure for CAP relief) will put the whole expectation on him.

'Selfishness' is an interesting take, as IF he wants a short term 2/3 year contract it's obvious he only cares about money.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

A few think the only way we cripple this team for years to come is to dign a qb other than Dak.

CWR

Reaction score

The Eagles have 2 or 300 million in dead cap void years already spent, and seem to be able to maneuver pretty well. (I honestly can't remember if it 2 or 300, either way it's a ton)

I would think the bill would come due eventually, but with an ever increasing cap who knows?

I do agree it's crap for Dak to leverage himself into yet ANOTHER shorter deal. He already took 4 when everyone else was getting 5. It's enough hardball already. While it's difficult to blame a player for getting his money, the team has taken care of him. Just sign a regular deal at market price and concentrate on actually winning something.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Why do some think Dak wants a shorter deal??????
It could also be that Jerry and Stephen are NOT interested in meeting his demands AND committing long-term money. I am no cap expert but could they do something similar the Rogers's contract with Jets?

https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085#:~:text=Aaron Rodgers agreed to a,base salaries are fully guaranteed.
I'd be shocked if the shorter deal were a Jerry/Stephen idea, and if it were then it really shows just how big of stooges these guys are. Ideally you'd want to lock up a player for as many of their prime years at the lowest possible number. If they don't have faith in Dak and only want a short deal then it should indicate to everyone that its time to move on. A short deal just puts the Cowboys right into the exact same mistake from before with the cap. The Rodgers contract has over half of his cap hit in void years. If they try to duplicate the Rodgers contract you're looking at a major cap hit next season because of the carry over money from the existing deal, but also are now pushing around $30M per season into deal money once he is gone.

Shorter deals on these massive QB contracts are the worst thing a front office can do as it completely kills the flexibility for the team to manipulate the cap.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The only news I want to hear on this front is a trade has been agreed to or there is no deal.

Then I want to watch the talking heads reactions. A) stunned at these developments or B) we knew it was happening all along, we just couldn't tell you peons. wink, wink.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
2 years while we know he can still be good, we can't say that for 3+ years, all deals should be made like this, the players are going to ask for more money anyways

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'd be shocked if the shorter deal were a Jerry/Stephen idea, and if it were then it really shows just how big of stooges these guys are. Ideally you'd want to lock up a player for as many of their prime years at the lowest possible number. If they don't have faith in Dak and only want a short deal then it should indicate to everyone that its time to move on. A short deal just puts the Cowboys right into the exact same mistake from before with the cap. The Rodgers contract has over half of his cap hit in void years. If they try to duplicate the Rodgers contract you're looking at a major cap hit next season because of the carry over money from the existing deal, but also are now pushing around $30M per season into deal money once he is gone.

Shorter deals on these massive QB contracts are the worst thing a front office can do as it completely kills the flexibility for the team to manipulate the cap.
I'm not sure I understand....let's try it another way.
Let's say you wanted to sign Tom Brady but he will only commit to two guaranteed years for $60M per year. How are you structuring the deal to minimize cap and dead money issues?