Rapoport would not be surprised if Dak gets a shorter deal

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
What a huge mistake it would be to extend Dak at any duration without the corresponding skins on the wall. Dak is a shoo-in for the Pro Football Hall of Good. ;)

Sydla

Reaction score
I am beginning to think we will look back 2-3 years from now and wish we had gone to him and worked a trade out.

His cap hit is going to be crushing relative to what he gives us as a QB. I am also beginning to think a couple of guys we like such as Parsons and maybe Bland, will eventually be casualties of the Dak contract.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
This is for sure -- at some point, a deal will have to be made, one way, or another . . .

In the meantime, the clock is ticking! Something's gotta happen. The question is when.

I'm pretty certain of one thing, though -- Jerry Jones is loving this! We can all bet on it.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Why do some think Dak wants a shorter deal??????
Because France got what he wanted last time, and when every other QB was sining 5 year + contracts, Dak got a 4 year, allowing him to 're-enter' and 'reset' the market.
I'm not sure I understand....let's try it another way.
Let's say you wanted to sign Tom Brady but he will only commit to two guaranteed years for $60M per year. How are you structuring the deal to minimize cap and dead money issues?
What you're missing is the $40m that's still outstanding on this contract.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand....let's try it another way.
Let's say you wanted to sign Tom Brady but he will only commit to two guaranteed years for $60M per year. How are you structuring the deal to minimize cap and dead money issues?
My point is that with a 2 year deal you won't be able to minimize the cap hit and avoid dead money. You could possibly do one or the other, but certainly not both. That's the advantage that longer deals give franchises when a player resets the market like Dak will potentially do.

The Jets can sort of get away with it on Rodgers because he signed a restructured deal and is only making $37M average per season. Despite just a $37M aav he still has over $65M in dead money after his contract is over in 2025. The Bucs got away with it on Brady because he signed for just $25M per year.

Even the last Dak deal I believe was too short for it to really make sense for the Cowboys to do. Most of these star QBs are giving teams 7-10 year deals which gives so much more ability to manipulate the salary cap, and will eventually see that players annual average salary move to the middle of the pack instead of constantly sitting at the top of the league.

A two year deal is horrible for the Cowboys in almost every way imaginable unless he takes a discounted rate.

John813

Reaction score
My point is that with a 2 year deal you won't be able to minimize the cap hit and avoid dead money. You could possibly do one or the other, but certainly not both. That's the advantage that longer deals give franchises when a player resets the market like Dak will potentially do.

The Jets can sort of get away with it on Rodgers because he signed a restructured deal and is only making $37M average per season. Despite just a $37M aav he still has over $65M in dead money after his contract is over in 2025. The Bucs got away with it on Brady because he signed for just $25M per year.

Even the last Dak deal I believe was too short for it to really make sense for the Cowboys to do. Most of these star QBs are giving teams 7-10 year deals which gives so much more ability to manipulate the salary cap, and will eventually see that players annual average salary move to the middle of the pack instead of constantly sitting at the top of the league.

A two year deal is horrible for the Cowboys in almost every way imaginable unless he takes a discounted rate.

A two year deal still gets us stuck within the void year dead cap hits of 26mil in 25 and 12.6mil in 26. lol
The contract would truly be at the AAV value lol.

Carson

Reaction score
His last contract was already short, it was 4 years. So what's considered short, 2 years?
Yep. Something stupid. Likely somewhere near the 2 years, $120 million plus.

Going to be a 35-40 cap hit year one than something like 75 million the next

Bowdown27

Reaction score
They want a shorter term deal to eventually draft the soon to be Texas legend in Archie manning.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
A two year deal still gets us stuck within the void year dead cap hits of 26mil in 25 and 12.6mil in 26. lol
The contract would truly be at the AAV value lol.
And that's with kicking more cap hits down the road too. It's legitimately the one scenario where Cowboy fans should just get really into college football for a few years and come back in 2028....

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
I agree with a shorter deal, like the one he has now with 1 year left on it. So in essence he has his short deal and can negotiate next year with 32 teams for another.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
There’s gonna be a lot of different ideas that come out but it still points to a make or break final season for mr no show in the playoffs
It’s his last “big” contract as an NFL player. The number that is most important is how much guaranteed money on the deal. $200 million is likely what he’ll get guaranteed, either from the Cowboys or the next team he plays for.