Rate Our Receivers

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
On another thread we have been debating how our receivers measure up against other team's receivers. I thought it would be a good topic for a poll. What do you think?

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
Our starters are older but solid and Glenn's health is the key. Our depth is unproven and shaky, although I like Crayton to blossom as the #3. Witten is the equalizer if counted as a receiver.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
I should have said "Wide Receivers" so that no one would get confused about whether or not this poll includes Witten. For the sake of this poll, we are not considering Witten.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
You won't be satisfied til the board agrees our receivers are among the world's worst, so to perhaps curtail the daily lament, I vote the last category.

Keyshawn Johnson is an aging slug. No heart, no guts, no willingness to take it over the middle versus the toughest backers and safties, no sidleines balance, no finger tip grabbing prowess, no deceptive speed, can't block worth crap, no ability to pain thru pain, and no leadership qualities. He stinks..and the proof of that is he never tops a fantasy football draft.

Then theres 'she'. Lousy butterfingered hands, stiff hips, zero vertical leap, the balance of a nine month pregnant woman, pitiful route runner, chemistry lacking, unintelligent, and if it comes down to an instant replay, he will NEVER get the call, can't separate, and he's old and slowed as well. Another fantasy football 'poison'.

Crayton and Morgan are a future reject and a current one. A converted quarterback with suspect hands and another slow as molasses retread. If one of the other two thieves robbing Jerry blind fakes another injury, we're in big trouble as it's clear both's potential maxed out at practice squad. Copper has a little speed but is clueless. Crowder a lot of speed but even more clueless, and Merrit the same. Forget Rector and Harrell - camp fodder. You wouldn't draft one of these clowns if your league had a 50 round draft.

My main issue with Meshawn and "She" is not they're old, decrepit, fundamentally worthless hasbeens, but that they are always in each others' faces calling for the ball. They never mentor the kids, NEVER, and only exist to taunt each other (and the fanbase). Even worse, their 'skills' don't complement each other's on the field, one is big and slow and one is a slightly 'faster' munchkin. Worthless in possession situations or the end zone, can't stretch the field..in fact they shrink it just by being out there.

Even more pathetic, they've learned NOTHING about the game in all their Rip Van Winkle decades of play. Can't read defenses, can't adjust on a route, can't come back to the ball, and the good Lord only knows they can't get off the LOS. How these frauds ever managed to get drafted #1 and #8 overall, is the biggest hoax perpetrated on the NFL in its entire history. They have been living off that former 'elite' potential for eons. Shoot the dinosaurs and put them out of our misery-- they're only here because Tuna loves his former headcases.

Some fans here are bigtime worried about either Chest Thumper or Miss Prim going down. Not me. I welcome it. Heck, anyone of us could fill in as well.

Trophy#6

Reaction score
Keyshawn is a warrior plain 'n simple- the guy don't go down without a fight. He's injured, he'll play. It's all about team concept with him once he steps on the feild. Absolutely thrilled that he's wearing the star! Regardless of age, one of the absolute best doing what he does. Not to mention the absolute best move Bill has made since coming here that wasn't a draft pick.

Glenn- I just don't trust. Sure he's got talent. But he doesn't have the gift God gave him...a brain. And year in and year out he goes out there throwing himself around like a ragdoll thinking his body will hold up....it won't, hence his obvious lack of a brain. He is the Scarecrow.

Morgon just reminds me of a cheap-mans goodguy Terrell Owens with those things he wears around his biceps...oh and that number. The jury is still out on him- last year he was banged up, this year is his judgement hour.

Crayton gives me true hope that we may have a younger reciever who could blossom. Even if it was just into a solid #3. He's got 2nd WR potential though. However not convinced he can ever be a #1 for anybody.

All 'n all I think we could be fairly set at the position by midseason when the Scarecrow goes down. By then hopefully Morgon or Crayton will have had the time needed to step forward.

Our biggest thing is we just need some proven durablitly below the top spot. With Bledsoe, Witten and Jones- give us a #2 receiver we can rely on for 16 games along with Keyshawn, and we would have one solid team on paper!

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
I think Glenn and Meshawn are very good at what they do, but not the Randy Moss or Torry Holt type wr's. If you were going to grade our top two recievers ide give them a B

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Those whining about our WR's really don't know anything about BP football or what it takes to win in the NFL.

1986 Super Bowl Champs:
Bobby Johnson 31
Lionel Manuel 11
Phil McConkey 16
Stacy Robinson 29
Solomon Miller 9

1990 Super Bowl Champs:
Stephen Baker 26
Mark Ingram 26
Lionel Manuel 11
Stacy Robinson 2
Odess Turner 6

There's the stellar WR production from BP's 2 Super Bowl years. Terry Glenn had 23 catches in only 6 games last year. Crayton had 12 catches which would have made him a solid #3 WR on those teams.

Get this straight:

Keyshawn and Glenn are easily the best WR combination that BP has ever had.

What we need to worry about is 1) our running game and depth at RB. 2) How well the OL blocks in run game and protects Bledsoe. 3) Our D. 4) The production we get from the RB's in the passing game.

KISS

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
Those whining about our WR's really don't know anything about BP football or what it takes to win in the NFL.

1986 Super Bowl Champs:
Bobby Johnson 31
Lionel Manuel 11
Phil McConkey 16
Stacy Robinson 29
Solomon Miller 9

1990 Super Bowl Champs:
Stephen Baker 26
Mark Ingram 26
Lionel Manuel 11
Stacy Robinson 2
Odess Turner 6

There's the stellar WR production from BP's 2 Super Bowl years. Terry Glenn had 23 catches in only 6 games last year. Crayton had 12 catches which would have made him a solid #3 WR on those teams.

Get this straight:

What we need to worry about is 1) our running game and depth at RB. 2) How well the OL blocks in run game and protects Bledsoe. 3) Our D. 4) The production we get from the RB's in the passing game.

KISS
NIce stats, but all that proves is that BP used to be able to win without great WR production. Maybe he even does it again, but that doesn't mean that our WR's are as good as the average tandem in the NFL. We have two WRs who used to be better than the average starter at what they do...now they are close to the average, but they are certainly better than the WR's we had here for a few years before them.

Still, WR is the weakest and thinnest position on our team, right there with QB, LB, and S, in my opinion.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
I voted for average with little depth. Fact is our revieving crew might have been the worst in the nfl when glenn went down.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rush 2112 said:

1986 Super Bowl Champs:
Bobby Johnson 31
Lionel Manuel 11
Phil McConkey 16
Stacy Robinson 29
Solomon Miller 9

1990 Super Bowl Champs:
Stephen Baker 26
Mark Ingram 26
Lionel Manuel 11
Stacy Robinson 2
Odess Turner 6

Get this straight:

KISS

I think that is a great post. Run the ball and play great defense.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
with crayton and copper/merrit showing good signs i really think that we ahve good depth and with key Vets like Glenn and Key, i really think we're ok in this deparment next year, we do need to draft soembody though

ratpower

Reaction score
We lack proven depth, TG and Key can get the job done, the problem is they will most likely go down for the count at some point.

Morgan is the key (maybe Crayton too) since they will probably see significant action at some point as well as three wide sets...this position is an area of concern for the future especially....

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ratpower said:
We lack proven depth, TG and Key can get the job done, the problem is they will most likely go down for the count at some point.

Morgan is the key (maybe Crayton too) since they will probably see significant action at some point as well as three wide sets...this position is an area of concern for the future especially....
A impact WR is on everyones offseason wish list for next year. What we have will do for this year.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Bad Survey, not enough options. Collectively, our receivers are above average, but we only have 2 we can count on, really, so:

Receivers (Starting): B+
Receiver Depth: C

David.

scottsp

Reaction score
It's on some wish lists. I don't know that we know what's on Parcells'. Though speculating is fun enough.

The NFL is a different league these days. It's much more passing oriented than it was five years ago, much less fifteen. Not sure if we can compare what was used with the 1986 New York Giants with what is in Dallas this season.

And quite frankly, that Giant team was so strong in specific areas that it could compensate for less than gamebreaking talent at wideout.

That said, there is more than one way to be successful. Just when people think the only real blueprint has been forged, another one pops up.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Trophy#6 said:
Glenn- I just don't trust. Sure he's got talent. But he doesn't have the gift God gave him...a brain. And year in and year out he goes out there throwing himself around like a ragdoll thinking his body will hold up....it won't, hence his obvious lack of a brain. He is the Scarecrow.

LMAO!

Throwing the body around is a sign of freaking courage, not brainlessness.

But do continue. It's amusing the conclusions bias can reach. :laugh2:

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
A impact WR is on everyones offseason wish list for next year. What we have will do for this year.

No doubt. I think the Cowboys very well might have picked Clayton with their second first round pick if Spears had not been there. I was torn on that pick. I really like Spears, but I really like Clayton as well. I think Clayton is going to be a great WR.

Lifetimeboyzfan

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
You won't be satisfied til the board agrees our receivers are among the world's worst, so to perhaps curtail the daily lament, I vote the last category.

Keyshawn Johnson is an aging slug. No heart, no guts, no willingness to take it over the middle versus the toughest backers and safties, no sidleines balance, no finger tip grabbing prowess, no deceptive speed, can't block worth crap, no ability to pain thru pain, and no leadership qualities. He stinks..and the proof of that is he never tops a fantasy football draft.

Then theres 'she'. Lousy butterfingered hands, stiff hips, zero vertical leap, the balance of a nine month pregnant woman, pitiful route runner, chemistry lacking, unintelligent, and if it comes down to an instant replay, he will NEVER get the call, can't separate, and he's old and slowed as well. Another fantasy football 'poison'.

Crayton and Morgan are a future reject and a current one. A converted quarterback with suspect hands and another slow as molasses retread. If one of the other two thieves robbing Jerry blind fakes another injury, we're in big trouble as it's clear both's potential maxed out at practice squad. Copper has a little speed but is clueless. Crowder a lot of speed but even more clueless, and Merrit the same. Forget Rector and Harrell - camp fodder. You wouldn't draft one of these clowns if your league had a 50 round draft.

My main issue with Meshawn and "She" is not they're old, decrepit, fundamentally worthless hasbeens, but that they are always in each others' faces calling for the ball. They never mentor the kids, NEVER, and only exist to taunt each other (and the fanbase). Even worse, their 'skills' don't complement each other's on the field, one is big and slow and one is a slightly 'faster' munchkin. Worthless in possession situations or the end zone, can't stretch the field..in fact they shrink it just by being out there.

Even more pathetic, they've learned NOTHING about the game in all their Rip Van Winkle decades of play. Can't read defenses, can't adjust on a route, can't come back to the ball, and the good Lord only knows they can't get off the LOS. How these frauds ever managed to get drafted #1 and #8 overall, is the biggest hoax perpetrated on the NFL in its entire history. They have been living off that former 'elite' potential for eons. Shoot the dinosaurs and put them out of our misery-- they're only here because Tuna loves his former headcases.

Some fans here are bigtime worried about either Chest Thumper or Miss Prim going down. Not me. I welcome it. Heck, anyone of us could fill in as well.
Always coming with the good stuff! :bow: