Rate the Cowboy head coaches...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Juke99;3783600 said:
This should spark a lively discussion...

rate the Cowboy head coaches from best to worst:

Tom Landry
Jimmy Johnson
Barry Switzer
Chan Gailey
Dave Campo
Bill Parcells
Wade Phillips
1. Tom Landry. No doubt about this at all.
2. Jason Garrett. Let's see who's awake.
3. Jimmy Johnson. Still think if he stayed we would have won 5 in a row.
4. Bill Parcells. I do not like the results or the way he quit. I do like the talent and focus.
5. Wade Phillips. Right up until this year.
6. Barry Switzer. The downhill slide started the day he arrived.
7. Chan Gailey. He did not get a fair shake, but it wouldn't have mattered.
8. Dave Campo. To this day I see a poodle, I think about kicking it.

rangers71

Reaction score
Campo will never catch a fair break. Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi combined couldn't have done anything with the group of guys that Campo had to coach. We were in such salary cap hell that he had no chance. To me Wade is way worse because he had way more talent than Campo did.

jgboys1

Reaction score
Tom Landry

Jimmy Johnson

Bill Parcells

Barry Switzer

Chan Gailey

Dave Campo

Wade Phillips.

Hopefully Jason Garrett can move into that #2 position one day.

I don't think anyone will ever surpass Tom Landry on this list.

Stautner

Reaction score
I'm pleased. I expected some of the younger fans to put Johnson ahead of Landry based on winnnig so much in such a short time along with him still being in the public eye. Glad to see the members of this board are more realistic than i thought.

wileedog

Reaction score
jgboys1;3783864 said:
Tom Landry

Jimmy Johnson

Bill Parcells

Barry Switzer

Chan Gailey

Dave Campo

Wade Phillips.

This.

I don't think anyone on that list did less with more than Wade.

DFWJC

Reaction score
rangers71;3783856 said:
Campo will never catch a fair break. Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi combined couldn't have done anything with the group of guys that Campo had to coach. We were in such salary cap hell that he had no chance. ...quote]
Camp did really have his hands tied. Besides the salary cap issues and an aging lineup, he also didn't have a 1st round pick the first two years.

But those 1st two drafts were still two of the worst in club history. 2001 was sad b/c the 1st few picks were Quincey Carter, Tony Dixon, Marcus Steele, and Wille Blade...good grief.

Even in 2002--when they had extra picks and drafted fairly well--they still took a very good Roy Williams over great players like Ed Reed, Freeny, Henderson, Haynesworth, etc.

I put Camp last, but have to admit he was working at a big disadvantage.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
nyc;3783727 said:
All the others were stick figures? :laugh2:

stickfigure.jpg

Gotta love the Switzer stick figure.:laugh2:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tom Landry
Jimmy Johnson
Bill Parcells
Jason Garrett

After that it doesn't matter.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Lets rank owners and GM's.............

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Hostile;3783853 said:
1. Tom Landry. No doubt about this at all.
2. Jason Garrett. Let's see who's awake.
3. Jimmy Johnson. Still think if he stayed we would have won 5 in a row.
4. Bill Parcells. I do not like the results or the way he quit. I do like the talent and focus.
5. Wade Phillips. Right up until this year.
6. Barry Switzer. The downhill slide started the day he arrived.
7. Chan Gailey. He did not get a fair shake, but it wouldn't have mattered.
8. Dave Campo. To this day I see a poodle, I think about kicking it.

I cannot figure out how people think Switzer *wasn't that bad*. :confused:

Switzer was freaking awful! Hell, even Aikman hated having him as the coach because he had no control over the players. Wade Phillips was Switzer 2.0. The only thing Phillips had over Switzer was he had a great defensive mind. Of course, once you've completely lost your team, even that no longer mattered.

Stautner

Reaction score
nyc;3783959 said:
I cannot figure out how people think Switzer *wasn't that bad*. :confused:

Switzer was freaking awful! Hell, even Aikman hated having him as the coach because he had no control over the players. Wade Phillips was Switzer 2.0. The only thing Phillips had over Switzer was he had a great defensive mind. Of course, once you've completely lost your team, even that no longer mattered.

I agree that Switzer wasn't a great coach, but the slide had a lot more factors than Switzer. The NFL installing a salary cap, aging players, raiding of players by other teams etc.... were huge as well.

alsmith

Reaction score
Landry
Johnson
Switzer
Garrett
Phillips
Campo
Bill was just looking for a paycheck...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Stautner;3783969 said:
I agree that Switzer wasn't a great coach

He was straight up awful. The man had absolutely ZERO control. Just like Wade Phillips had zero control and was awful.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
1. Tom Landry-It all started with Landry he survived 29 years coaching the same team unlikely we'll ever see a feat like that again in the NFL.

2. Jimmy Johnson-He was my favorite Cowboys HC he won as many championships in 5 years as Landry won in 29 years. If I had to win one game that really mattered he would be my coach.

3. Barry Switzer- He gets a bad rap from alot of fans but he kept the team together long enough to lead the Cowboys to their 3rd SB win of the 90's. That SB win over the dreaded Steelers not only gave the Cowboys the distinction of being the only team to beat Pittsburgh in a SB but it made the Cowboys the undisputed team of the 90's.

4. Bill Parcells- He was another one who got a bad rap from Cowboy fans but he helped find the Cowboys their QB of the future in Romo and a great pass rusher in Ware. Although the game had passed him by as a coach he brought in a lot of talent that's helping the team today.

5. Chan Gailey- He ranks ahead of Campo and Wade because he wasn't as spineless and wasn't given much of a chance. He was the only one who stood up to Jerry refusing to change the offense to save his job. Campo and Wade were doing whatever Jerry wanted to continue on as Cowboys HC.

6. Dave Campo- Webster should put his picture next to the word puppet. The only thing that keeps him from being at the very bottom of my list was that he was dealt a bad hand with a terrible team and no QB. At least he showed some enthusiasm and would get in a players face when they screwed up.

7. Wade Phillips- Was a complete joke of a HC. I wouldn't hire him to coordinate a summer camp for kids. He had about as much energy as a corpse and sounded like a buffoon. Just staying awake during his PC's was a challenge. He'd already been fired as a HC twice before taking over the Cowboys so it's not like Jerry didn't know he was hiring a stiff. Wade was handed a talented team 4 years ago and left it a complete mess.

rangers71

Reaction score
DFWJC;3783894 said:
rangers71;3783856 said:
Campo will never catch a fair break. Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi combined couldn't have done anything with the group of guys that Campo had to coach. We were in such salary cap hell that he had no chance. ...quote]
Camp did really have his hands tied. Besides the salary cap issues and an aging lineup, he also didn't have a 1st round pick the first two years.

But those 1st two drafts were still two of the worst in club history. 2001 was sad b/c the 1st few picks were Quincey Carter, Tony Dixon, Marcus Steele, and Wille Blade...good grief.

Even in 2002--when they had extra picks and drafted fairly well--they still took a very good Roy Williams over great players like Ed Reed, Freeny, Henderson, Haynesworth, etc.

I put Camp last, but have to admit he was working at a big disadvantage.

Yeah I am not saying Campo was a good head coach by any means I just think when people talk bad about him that no one remembers how badly his hands were tied. I still say that he got way more out of what he had than Wade did.

wileedog

Reaction score
Yeah I am not saying Campo was a good head coach by any means I just think when people talk bad about him that no one remembers how badly his hands were tied. I still say that he got way more out of what he had than Wade did.

Those teams were terrible but they never flat out quit on him, even at the end of his 3rd 5-11 season when everyone knew he was a lame duck.

Wade lost the lockerroom not once but twice, first in 2008 when the team laid down in Philly and again this year. He should never have been allowed back on the plane after 44-6.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
nyc;3784045 said:
He was straight up awful. The man had absolutely ZERO control. Just like Wade Phillips had zero control and was awful.

How could Switzer have been awful when he was able to lead the team to a very important SB win?

Had the Cowboys not won that 3rd SB in the 90's they wouldn't have claimed the crown as the team of that decade.

There would have been 3 teams Dallas, SF and Denver with two SB wins which would have left no clear cut team of the 90's. It would have been debatable which was the better team that decade.

Switzer took over the Cowboys having been out of coaching for several years and having no NFL experience.

The players loved Jimmy so it was no easy task for any coach to come in and keep that team focused.

It would have been very easy for the Cowboys to become complacent and pack it in after winning back to back SB's with Jimmy being gone.

Switzer came in and kept the team together long enough for the Cowboys to get another SB win despite losing some players to free agency.

It amazes me the hate that some fans have for Switzer despite him leading the team to the NFC title game in his first year as Cowboys HC and to their 3rd SB win the following year.

Most felt the loss to SF in the 94 NFC title game marked the end of the road for those great Cowboy teams but Switzer got the team to rebound from that disappointing loss the following year.

I give Switzer a lot of credit for leading the team to their final SB championship. The Cowboys beat a Steelers team that had never lost a SB and had beaten the Cowboys in two previous SB's.

That win not only cemented the Cowboys as the team of the 90's but it gave the franchise and us fans some measure of revenge over the Steelers for those two SB's losses during the 70's.

The fans that hate on Switzer obviously don't realize what he helped the Cowboys accomplish during his tenure.

Tricericon

Reaction score
Landry
*big gap*
Johnson
Parcells
*big gap*
Phillips
Gailey
*big gap*
Switzer
*big gap*