Rate the last book you read

CowboyMcCoy'sWife

Reaction score
urface59;3511022 said:
Just read that last week. I loved it, 5/5. Read Watchmen this week, ****ing incredible, 5/5. In two weeks I read two books that are now among my all time favorites.

What other books would you recommend for me? I like to read but I have a hard time finding books that I really like.

urface59

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy'sWife;3511036 said:
What other books would you recommend for me? I like to read but I have a hard time finding books that I really like.

I read The Crying of Lot 49 a few weeks ago which I thought was definitely worth while. Kind of ****s with your head.

CowboyMcCoy'sWife

Reaction score
urface59;3511063 said:
I read The Crying of Lot 49 a few weeks ago which I thought was definitely worth while. Kind of ****s with your head.

hmm.. I'll have to check that out.My husband likes books like that too so maybe he'll read it with me.

ethiostar

Reaction score
poke;3511018 said:
reading Brass Verdict now, didn't realize there was an earlier one with the character Mickey Haller. i may stop until i can get the Lincoln lawyer one.
i hate reading them out of order.

i am still looking for a paperback of the 3rd Stieg Larsson. They have picked a cast for the US version of the movie for the first book.

Just finished "Hellhound On My Trail", which is about James Earl Ray ( killer of MLK) I enjoyed it.

You can read Connelly's books out of order and not miss much. They are all stand-alone books and he also does a great job of referring back to his earlier books if it adds anything to his later books.

I'm still waiting to buy a used copy of The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I have a good relationship with the owner of a used book store close to my house and i have given her a list of books i'm interested in. When she gets a copy she gives me a call and i go pick them up. I haven't paid more than $3.50 for any books from that store. That's i picked up The Girl who played with Fire last week. I think i payed $3 for it and its almost brand new.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

7.5 of 10.

I saw lots of people reading it on the train, so I picked up a copy. The book was pretty good and definitely worth reading. It didn't blow me a way or anything, but it is a very good book. It's the first of three books. The book is just shy of 700 pages. A guy I work with said the second book was the best of them all. (The Girl Who Played with Fire) The two primary characters are well developed. (Mikael Blomkvist and Lisbeth Salander)

I plan to read The Girl Who Played with Fire, just not back-to-back.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Rosemary's Baby. 8.5/10

I found this book while cleaning out my mothers house 2 years ago and lost it. Cleaning out my laundry room, I found it again. The original hardcover and old.

Being into these kind of stories, I give it high marks. I'd seen the movie, liked it and it's not much of a deviation, just more fleshed out as a novel.

Good straight forward story-telling and a very fast read, by virtue of being interesting and attention holding.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
just finished The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest, the 3rd of the Steig Larsson novels.

i enjoyed all three, the second may have been the best but i was glad to read the third for more character info and to tie up some things.

rumor has it that the author had finished a 4th book...same rumor says it was actually the 5th book in the line he had planned because it was more fun to write than the 4th book he had planned.

also read a James Lee Burke book, The Glass Shadow ( a Dave Robicheaux) story. these books are all fairly predictable but still enjoyable reading.

CowboyMcCoy'sWife

Reaction score
I just finished The Girl Who Played with Fire.

It was such a great book. It took on the same suspense and action level of the first book, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I can wait to read the third book, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest.

I am a big mystery book reader and this one topped them all (that I have read so far, that is) My Hubby was telling about the movie that is coming out soon or may have already come out but I will want to read all three books before we go see it.

I heard the movie is great in the Swedish version with english subtitles and it shouldn't be remade. We'll just have to go watch both versions and see for ourselves.

CowboyMcCoy'sWife

Reaction score
poke;3674845 said:
just finished The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest, the 3rd of the Steig Larsson novels.

i enjoyed all three, the second may have been the best but i was glad to read the third for more character info and to tie up some things.

rumor has it that the author had finished a 4th book...same rumor says it was actually the 5th book in the line he had planned because it was more fun to write than the 4th book he had planned.

also read a James Lee Burke book, The Glass Shadow ( a Dave Robicheaux) story. these books are all fairly predictable but still enjoyable reading.

I'd be interested in finding out the story on that 4th book. I wonder if it's a true rumor. I read about the author before starting the first book and it said he died just after delivering the third book. I didn't see anything about how he died but I'm curious to know if it had anything to do with the books. It's funny that he would write (in the 2nd book) that those journalists were murdered over their writing and then the author passes away right after delivering the third book.
:write:

:yathink:

EDIT: I just found this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stieg_Larsson

ethiostar

Reaction score
poke;3674845 said:

I just got the book today and i plan on starting it as soon as i'm finished with the book i'm currently reading, Double Whammy by Carl Hiaasen.

Interesting about the prospect of one or two more of these books.

I've had 3 or 4 of Robicheaux books sitting on my shelf for a while now but i've been wanting to start with the very first one and i haven't been able to find it at my regular used book store.

Do you think it makes much difference if i was to read them out of order? I did that with the Harry Bosch series and it wasn't too big of a deal.

CowboyMcCoy'sWife;3676097 said:
I just finished The Girl Who Played with Fire.

It was such a great book. It took on the same suspense and action level of the first book, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I can wait to read the third book, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest.

I am a big mystery book reader and this one topped them all (that I have read so far, that is) My Hubby was telling about the movie that is coming out soon or may have already come out but I will want to read all three books before we go see it.

I heard the movie is great in the Swedish version with english subtitles and it shouldn't be remade. We'll just have to go watch both versions and see for ourselves.

I finished it a couple of weeks ago and then watched the movie . The second book is definitely better than the first as it answered a few questions about the main character. The movie (Swedish version) wasn't too bad either. I'm very curious about the American version that is supposed to be coming out relatively soon. They've already picked the lead actress to play Lisbeth, here name is Rooney Mara (i don't know anything about her).

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Anyone read books on a Kindle? I got one of the new Kindles for my b-day not long ago, but I'm still currently reading physical books I've had lined up before I got it.

What do you think about it as a book reader?

ethiostar

Reaction score
It's been a while since i've been on here. I've read several books in the last couple of months.

I finished the Harry Bosch series by Connelly, the last three I read are 9 Dragons, Angels Flight and the Closers. 9 Dragons is the most recent book and it is a good one, perhaps not the best in the series but its definitely up there. The Closers was decent but i didn't care too much for Angels Flight.

I got introduced to Carl Hiaasens books recently and the first book I read was Lucky You and I'm currently almost done with Double Whammy. I enjoyed Lucky You a lot more. Double Whammy is also good but i think it falls short of the mark, at least compared with Lucky You. But so far i'm enjoying the Author's books and i have bought a couple more of his books that i have yet to read. The Author has a great sense of humor (off the wall) and his books are chock full of quirky characters.

Blasphamy by Douglas Preston. Very weak story line, underdeveloped characters, and unrealistic portrayal of the scientific community. I know its fiction but come on. Horrible book.

I've also read almost all of the chapters from 'Enough: The Phony Leaders, Dead-End Movements, and Culture of Failure That Are Undermining Black America-and What We Can Do About It' by Juan Williams. He builds on Bill Cosby's controversial speech as a featured speaker in 2004 at the 50th anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka. As one reviewer stated it best, it is "provocative and brave". Personally, I think it reflects the types of discussions that take place in living rooms and around dinning room tables of most African American families. I highly recommend this book to anyone.

I've read s couple of more books but i can't think of them now.

ethiostar

Reaction score
The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest---- Very good. I agree with Poke, i think the 2nd one was probably the best.

Also read the Dark Tower series by Steven King. Great saga and great read, although i didn't enjoy all seven books equally. The 2nd and 3rd books are my favorite and the 5th and 6th books i enjoyed least.

DFWJC

Reaction score
nyc;3690864 said:
Anyone read books on a Kindle? I got one of the new Kindles for my b-day not long ago, but I'm still currently reading physical books I've had lined up before I got it.

What do you think about it as a book reader?
The Kindle is excellent for books, news, and magazines alike. I don't use mine enough though. And now I have an iPad, so this could be interesting.

DFWJC

Reaction score
As for reading. I getting ready to re-read the Dune Series by Frank Herbert.

ethiostar

Reaction score
DFWJC;3813302 said:
As for reading. I getting ready to re-read the Dune Series by Frank Herbert.

I've never read it but i bought a used copy of the first book a few months ago and its been sitting on my shelf. I'm going to get to it someday:D

My wife and friends insist i have to read 'Cutting for Stone' by Abraham Verghese so that's what is next for me.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Stormy Weather by Carl Hiaasen.

This guy has quickly become one of my favorite authors. I love his his sense of humor and his quirky characters.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
From The Ashes

It's a book set in the 1980's and centers around what the world would be like after a nuclear/germ war head explosion world wide, where the whole world turns on one another and just fires, basically killing and destroying the vast majority of the world.

The book starts out just prior to this happening and then the majority of the book is about what the people do afterwards to try and rebuild and to change their world so that they can avoid another thing like this from happening again in the future.

Eventually the United States is basically divided into two seperate groups. The United States, ran by a military backed government with a president who isn't really even elected, simply takes over, and is basically ruling through military force to make people do what he wants.

The other is a group called the Tri-States, headed up by the main character, Ben Raines who are setting up their own type of government where they get back to the grass roots of the constitution and away from all the red tape, lawyer speak, etc.

It's a great book that is a series. I'm not sure how many there are, I've only read the first one, but I'll be reading the sequels cause it was a really great book.

I'd give it an 8.75 out of 10, maybe even a little higher than that.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
World of Warcraft: Shattering 8/10.

It's a good book like most of the Warcraft books. If you read fantasy books, it's worth reading. If you are a player of the game, it's a must read as it explains what you see in the game. The named NPCs in the game gain personality.

tko112204

Reaction score
nyc;3825051 said:
World of Warcraft: Shattering 8/10.

It's a good book like most of the Warcraft books. If you read fantasy books, it's worth reading. If you are a player of the game, it's a must read as it explains what you see in the game. The named NPCs in the game gain personality.

Wow..